Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: GM to crack down on Aftermarket calibrated vehicles?

Just face it, most all of us that are spending money buying tuning software, cams, heads, blowers, nitrous...we know GM shouldn't be paying for a new motor if we blow it up (at least I hope we can agree on that). To me its just an excuse to build a forged stroker anyway. Now, I don't hope I blow the thing, but if it does, I'm not gonna go cry and whine to GM, I'm gonna call my local machine shop and get to work. My problem is them trying to say my power seat broke because I accelerated too hard. Or my AC isn't working because I re-flashed my computer. I know that if I am racing my car at a track using slicks, the tranny, drive shaft, CV joints, rear end etc etc is exposed to extreme conditions, and it is probably unreasonable for GM to cover my parts. In the spirit of competitiveness I'd like to get around this as much as anyone, but if we can't, then...

If your gonna play, be prepared to pay.

pharmd, welcome to the forum...

This has really come to light with the Duramax.
    People installing a program from a programmer or a piggyback device and damaging an engine. Then they would have an issue (piston) and the cost of repair may have been well over $10k. They are still paying for the ruck and another $10k is really going to hurt. GM was letting stuff slide to a point to keep Customer Satisfaction up. They are just closing up a hole now.

Quote Originally Posted by GTPprix View Post
    Good lord where do people get this crap? bumper to bumper void? Do have ANY idea how illegal that would be? It's misinformation like this that needs to stop, seriously between that and what people THINK certain ECM's store and go posting about it is whats really driving people nuts LOL
    Damn, I was just putting the finishing touches on my new foil hat.
    World's First Twin Screw Pontiac GTO
    2004 GTO. Blown H/C 408, stage 3 keyboard, billet tires
    2017 Chevy SS with dead hooker is spacious trunk
    2014 Chevy Cruze. MPG queen with my balls in spacious glove compartment.

www.aussiemotive.com

Lifetime Member

I was wondering if an aftermarket cal can be traced through an active Onstar system?
    I know it can connect the ECM/TCM/BCM for basic system diagnostics (including Stabiltrak). See below information from the Onstar website.

If you are an active OnStar subscriber enrolled in OnStar Vehicle Diagnostics, you will receive regular email updates on the condition of five of your vehicle's key operating systems:
    Engine and/or Transmission System
    Emissions System
    Air Bag System
    Antilock Brake System
    OnStar System

These reports are automatically generated every 30 days, so you can feel more confident that your car is ready for the road. Key diagnostic data is sent directly to OnStar while you drive, with no effort on your part. Once OnStar receives the information, we send you a simple email report on the status of these vehicle systems. The checkups are scheduled to take place at a predetermined date and time each month. However, if no one drives your vehicle on that date, the call will take place the next time your engine is turned on.

Lifetime Member

Take a bone stock Pontiac G8 or Holden HSV or Vauxhall VXR8 and go out and DRIFT it and see
    what gets covered under warranty ???

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567