Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: GM to crack down on Aftermarket calibrated vehicles?

Quote Originally Posted by RetroAus View Post
    Just buy a second PCM....keep your original...
    Just depends if BCM stores flash counts as well....
    Also, buy a bench harness along with the ECM. The BCM doesn't know whats going on if the ECM is being programmed on a bench and not in a car.

Jay

Lifetime Member

Ive thought about this, and I can see how GM doesnt want to pay for tuners mistakes. I know there are tuners out there who dont know what they are doing, I can say I sure as heck dont for anything but my LL8 (for now, done a ton of reading and need a truck to play with so I can start testing an LSx motor) so I wont even try to tune them except maybe for shifting. Im 18 years old, but I can see how powerful a tuning tool such as this is and realize if someone who doesnt make small changes and monitor the results could easily destroy a 4+ thousand dollar engine. Even after reading and studying books/forums/etc I feel as if I have learned a ton but have barely scratched the surface.

I would buy another PCM/ECM/TCM and swap it out when going in for warranty, but at the same time this only works if you have minor mods (CAI, exhaust, etc). Heads/cam/FI wouldnt run with the stock controller, and if they did the dealer would definitely know something was not stock. Or just know the second you dive into these internal mods you can kiss the warranty goodbye. Ive been without a warrenty for 2+ years now, started tuning right after it expired (EFILive didnt support me til then).

So be careful everyone and realize that tuning does void the warranty anyway, this is just GM's way of trying to not charge us more because they are fixing other people's mistakes.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by JAY4SPEED View Post
    Also, buy a bench harness along with the ECM. The BCM doesn't know whats going on if the ECM is being programmed on a bench and not in a car.

Jay
    Is this doable? Tell me more.
    2015 Z06 A8

In addition to what Erik said, the EPA is getting on the OEM's to make their ECM's "unhackable"...
    the ECM is considered emissions equipment, and the EPA prohibits tampering;
    it's just a matter of time (if not already) before this will be strictly enforced with newer ECM's;
    the side effect of this is that the OEM can use these efforts to their advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by Chalky View Post
    Is this doable? Tell me more.

Probably not. In most cases, the BCM controls the VATS or vehicle shut down function. It must talk to the PCM and get "agreement" that it is indeed the same PCM as the original, or they won't talk and the BCM will shut down the vehicle. Chrysler does this on many of their vehicles; if you replace the PCM or the BCM, you must take the vehicle to the dealer so they can make the PCM and the BCM "talk" so the vehicle will operate properly.

That's why there has been no real tuning software for the Chrysler's until just very recently, along with the fact they guard their info like it's a military secret. Also, there data stream for the last few years is raw data (that was Daimler's doing), no header PID's so it's hard to figure out what they are doing.....

LOL anybody here read "1984"? It is twenty years late, but "big brother" is definitely watching
    98 WS6, M6, 02 PCM, CO3, SD 2 Bar tune, 416 D1SC Procharger, 73# Injectors, Patriot Lq9 heads, 232 int 240 exh. Lift .595 int .608 exh 115.. header, Intake, AEM WB.

Well, thanks to 9/11 and the ignorance of great parts of the "free" world's inhabitants, politics have managed to surpass even the pessimists' expectations ... just these days news have come out where European union politicians are aiming to store and evaluate _any_ "digital information" that is left behind by anybody ... so the old saying "Orwell was an optimist" seems to be more than right ... :(
    I wonder if enough people will rise against these tendencies in time ... :(
    Garry Glendown * '17 Fifty 2SS MT * 99 Firehawk Convertible (for sale)

Im hoping my 440 cube LS2 will rise against many tendencies
    Get EFILive in europe (http://www.efilive.eu).
    2007 Escalade ESV L92 6.2L VVT.
    2014 VF SV LS3 Maloo.

440 LS2? Wow ...
    Garry Glendown * '17 Fifty 2SS MT * 99 Firehawk Convertible (for sale)

so on this BCM and PCM talking deal... does anyone know if an 06 malibu has that deal? (chevrolet thing or not?) B/C I was just thinking about buying a new PCM just in case
    01 T/A WS6 #4984 STOCK 342HP and 352TQ [/b]MODS:Too many to list, PM...funny rear mount.. father/son build.
    [Quote :ur car is sneezing!!!!]
    I KNOW KUNG FU.
    My STS build: http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=631954
    453HP 475TQ @6psi
    .....CAM'd, IC'd, and 7psi'd #'s coming.....

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast