Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: GM to crack down on Aftermarket calibrated vehicles?

Who wants a new car anyway?

Mod the iron, recycle the plastic!
    Early EFILive V5 user - Upgraded from AutoTap for DOS!
    2000 Chevrolet Camaro Z28, A4 - For occasional day trips...
    1984 Chevrolet Caprice Classic - For the family...
    1989 Honda VTR250 - For me and me only...

Sometimes older cars are nicer to look at than actually drive everyday. And look at my sig, I am on both sides!
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    It's true...

but I don't know that they can do this with the LS1/LS2 PCM's since these can't detect reflashes...

but the later ECM's have builtin mechanisms to detect reflashes.

I didnt read this before I started the other thread. They can detect on any vehicle now. and its a bumper to bumper warranty void. like I said on the other thread, just thought I would let others know.

Has something changed recently? Last I knew, GM could NOT detect a reflash of the E38 if the cal was returned to stock.
    2015 Z06 A8

Quote Originally Posted by Chalky View Post
    Has something changed recently? Last I knew, GM could NOT detect a reflash of the E38 if the cal was returned to stock.
    I'm going to double check. I know we can tell even if it is set to stock if the pcm was flashed with ls edit. I have programed another techs truck, I'm going to change it back to stock and double check with the tech 2. I've already had a guy do a service update and put his truck back to stock twice. I'll keep you updated on my progress. It will be monday though because we are going to the track today.

Quote Originally Posted by CWR View Post
    I didnt read this before I started the other thread. They can detect on any vehicle now. and its a bumper to bumper warranty void. like I said on the other thread, just thought I would let others know.
    Good lord where do people get this crap? bumper to bumper void? Do have ANY idea how illegal that would be? It's misinformation like this that needs to stop, seriously between that and what people THINK certain ECM's store and go posting about it is whats really driving people nuts LOL
    Chris White
    www.GTOShiftLight.com
    2006 Spice Red A4 GTO
    2009 3LZ Z06
    2012 Jeep SRT8
    2013 SRX Premium
    2013 XTS Platinum

Ok, thought I’d chime in with a little info that might help…
    First off I believe the “*” or asterisk that was mentioned is what comes up in TIS when the calibration “is not recognized by this release of TIS”. This does not necessarily mean it’s a not-GM calibration, it just means TIS does not recognize it. I’ve seen plenty of factory calibrations that TIS does not recognize or have in the database. I just did an exchange cluster yesterday that had two unrecognized calibrations with *’s next to the numbers. This cluster came straight from the factory authorized repair facility. *’s next to the calibration number does NOT necessarily mean it’s a non-GM calibration.
    The TSB I think people keep referring to is 08-06-04-033. It tells you how to check for non-GM calibrations. It does NOT say anything about voiding the bumper-to-bumper warranty. Here’s what it says…
    If a suspicious hard part failure is observed in the engine, transmission, transfer case or driveline, perform the calibration verification described to determine if a non-GM issued engine calibration is installed. Non-GM issued engine calibrations subject driveline components to stresses different from the calibrations that these components were validated to. Repairs to engine, transmission, transfer case and/or other driveline components where a non-GM engine calibration has been verified are not covered under the terms of the New Vehicle Warranty.

There is a newer bulletin, number PIP4558 (preliminary info, not a TSB) that refers to piston damage in ’07 and ’08 trucks and SUV’s with gas V8’s. Here’s what it says…
    If a hole is found, perform the following steps:

1. Inspect the vehicle for aftermarket components, such as an exhaust or air intake system.
    2. Document the ECM calibration numbers and related CVNs as outlined in the latest version of 08-06-04-033.
    3. Call Brand Quality Manager, (deleted name and number) to review further direction. He may request photos of the damage or ask you to mail the damaged components to him for inspection.

Here’s my personal opinion on the piston damage PI in particular. I believe there are two things going on that may end up in piston damage.
    First is most definitely aftermarket tuning. I am thrilled that we have these tools to manipulate the powertrain systems in these vehicles, but in the wrong hands these tools can do a lot of damage. You REALLY need to know what you’re doing if you’re going to try to change things like fuel and spark. I know there are people out there with these tuning tools that ARE causing damage with their settings and GM should not have to pay for that damage. There are warnings about modifying factory calibrations in both of the major tuning programs that should be taken seriously. I’m glad we have the tools, but any tool can do damage if used improperly.
    Second possibility I would put directly on GM. I’ve scanned plenty of ‘07 and ’08 Gen 4 V8’s and I’ve noticed one thing, customers almost always run cheap gas and it shows in TONS of knock retard under all driving conditions. I think GM made a mistake telling people that all these engines are fine to run on 87 octane gas. Most of the V8’s have around 10.5 compression ratio and some V6’s are into the 11’s. I know fuel and timing control can allow that kind of compression, but if it can’t control detonation things can go bad really quickly. I believe GM should have put a “Premium Fuel Recommended” tag on all these motors. I tell every customer that asks, or people I know that have late model GM vehicles to run premium fuel always. In the 6.2 especially, you can hear them ping, which is telling me factory calibrations are not controlling timing well enough to handle the low octane fuel people are using.
    I don’t know if the piston damage that GM is seeing is from cheap gas (especially in California), or aftermarket tuning. From the looks of the pictures in the PI, I’m thinking it’s more likely aftermarket tuning. (Pretty extreme damage.) Be careful with those tunes!

(Tried to post the pics from the PI directly from the GM site, didn't think it would work! I'll put them on my site and put a link to them later if I get a chance.)
    Last edited by gmtech16450yz; February 21st, 2009 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Links to pics didn't work

Good read...
    2008 2WD Ext.Cab Silverado 1500 6.0 V-MAX E38(L76) & T42(4L70E) MAF Only CL Corvette Servo AFE CAI INNOVATIVE LM-2 WBO2

FLASHSCAN V2 & AUTOCAL

Hmmm , have noticed that higher KR quit a lot on the newer ones , confirms my suspensions .
    They run tons better with lower timing in some areas .
    2005 1500 HD , Custom OS3 SD tune .
    2006 Trailblazer
    Dinosaurs and Plants gave their lives so that we may drive , long live fossil fuel .

Default I agree with GTP....

Quote Originally Posted by GTPprix View Post
    Good lord where do people get this crap? bumper to bumper void? Do have ANY idea how illegal that would be? It's misinformation like this that needs to stop, seriously between that and what people THINK certain ECM's store and go posting about it is whats really driving people nuts LOL

I agree with GTP. I for one am kinda sick of the "old womens gossip club" perpetuating nonsense and misinformation about topics for which persons have ABSOLUTELY NO PERSONAL FIRST HAND INFORMATION ABOUT being posted publicly.

In other words....If you do not absolutely have credible first hand knowledge on said topic...PLEASE refrain from making public statements about such topics.

We all saw the "gm locks computers" and the "GM can tell if you re-flash your corvette after you put it back to stock" rumors on the Corvette Forum and elsewhere.

You can't imaging how often I have to waste my time explaining to potential customers that these rumors are only "RUMORS" and that it's not true despite the fact that they "heard it on the forum so it must be true".

PLEASE people...a good rule to live your life by....

DON'T OPEN YOUR MOUTH if you're not 100% sure what you are saying is 100% true.

100% of us would appreciate it.
    Chuck CoW
    CoW BOOSTER! Electronic Throttle Enhancement.

- CLICK HERE NOW FOR MORE INFORMATION! -

VARARAM, EDELBROCK, AMERICAN RACING HEADERS, BAER BRAKES, BORLA, EFI Live, Magnuson,
    COMP Cams, PROCHARGER, PRO TORQUE, PHADT Racing, INNOVATORS WEST, and more.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast