Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: EFI with Mercury Racing Motors?

I found a company that offers software/hardware to program MEFI 1 - 4B ECMs but I'm not sure how well it works. There setup is about $2K which is ok for me if it works well. Although I would have no problem sending that money to the EFI Live folks if they could make their software work with the ECM.

I've considered the notion of trying to retrofit the Mercruiser engine with GM hardware so that I could use a GM OEM ECU and work with EFI Live but there are several assumptions that would need to be addressed before heading down that path.

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    Have you guys been to - http://www.mefiburn.com/
    Talk to Bob there, he should be able to set you up to at least the MEFI4B.

Cheers,
    Ross
    Yep this is the software I ran across. I'll look into it.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Donovan View Post
    I have the 496 HOs in my boat and they run well. I think the processor is the moto 555. IT SUCKS when the guardian sets in though. Nothing worse than having only 90% available power when you are in a poker run.....
    Ouch, I can imagine. Seattle huh, where are your poker runs? My little 21' Scarab 1 really cant compete with those big engined beasts though, but its pretty fun around the lake.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Hey Erik, What year is your Scarab?
    I have a 30ft 1989 I am rebuilding from the stringers on up.

Jorge

Lifetime Member

Its an 87 Scarab 1 Outboard, personally have never seen another O/B but a few I/Os are running around Lake Coeur d'Alene, havent seen one in about 3 years now though. Its got a Merc Laser 220hp 2.4L V6 Bridgeport block, pretty much all original parts but starter, engine electrical boxes (the distro blocks, not the PCU) and modern voltage regulator (stranded us a few years back, not fun). Now that its running pretty well I think my parents will opt for a rebuild on the motor here within the next 2 years (more like me telling them it needs it), Id do it but I dont really know much about Outboards...

Im jealous about that 30 footer, my 21 footer is great for blasting around the lakes where I live and vacation but out in the ocean it'd be a different story. And its never been in salt water, ever, in the almost 21 years my parents have owned it since new (bought May 88). Its older than I am hahaha.
    ~Erik~
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.

That 87 Scarab 1 is way cool got to love those old Wellcraft boats. That is a rare one

I have a 89 Scarab Panther, dont be to jealous I got it 4 yrs ago and 3 of those years have been in the rebuilding stages. Its taking soooo looong because I am doing all the work in my spare time. But its almost done though its going to be sweet!

I have removed about 1500Lbs from the boat no cabin, new stingers covered with kevlar, glassed the hull to deck, moved the X demention 3 inch, ready to run all out. With a pair of Merc 525 and Bravos out back.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by jorge View Post
    That 87 Scarab 1 is way cool got to love those old Wellcraft boats. That is a rare one

I have a 89 Scarab Panther, dont be to jealous I got it 4 yrs ago and 3 of those years have been in the rebuilding stages. Its taking soooo looong because I am doing all the work in my spare time. But its almost done though its going to be sweet!

I have removed about 1500Lbs from the boat no cabin, new stingers covered with kevlar, glassed the hull to deck, moved the X demention 3 inch, ready to run all out. With a pair of Merc 525 and Bravos out back.
    I know, back in '00 when the parents were looking to buy our ski boat the dealer offered 3K for the Scarab. Needless to say the Scarab became our boat at the cabin and then was iffy working for the next few years. Just got it running pretty close to 100% last summer and man is it fun to go bomb around on the water on. Build quality is very good on mine, havent looked at any others up close but 20 seasons with probably 10 being in the water for 3mo (downfall of living in the NW) and its still solid as a rock. Plus hitting 3ft wakes at wide open and just knifing through them is just amazing. Took a bunch of friends out this summer and each was blown away how well it handled the water. And full throttle turns are fun too when everyone slides to the other side of the boat haha.

Take a pic of that beast when you get it done and email it to me, definitely want to see the finished project!
    ~Erik~

Bringing this one back from the dead. Doesn't the latest Dodge cummins run on a Motorola PCM 555 ? Has support been added to EFI Live that would allow it to communicate with the Motorola 555 Marine ECU?
    E35A/A40 + DSP5

I think the Cummins ECM's are indeed a Motorola design, but that is probably where the similarity ends. Much like the Bosch E35 is officially known as an EDC16 and is used by many manufacturers, the actually code and flashing process is different on all variants of it.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12