Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this tune worth a damn? tuned by professional

Default Is this tune worth a damn? tuned by professional

The more I learn about EFI Live the more I wonder about my tune I got from a pro tuner. I noticed that the max enrichment is set to 11.7 like stock and every other tune I have looked at is set leaner than mine. Mine does smell rich. It runs fine but I just wonder if he left me pig rich. Here is the tune
    Attached Files Attached Files

Various tables have been modified to give the final fuelling calculation as quickly as possible. This can be found in a lot of "pro tunes" where time is more important than having the tables reflect accurately the conditions in the engine.
    If you are going to follow the methods of tuning described in this forum (the right way IMO) you would be better off starting from a new unmolested base.
    Make sure you have a wideband & log & map this tune to see where the AFR's & timing have been set before starting fresh. If he has done your WOT on the dyno you will be able to transfer the necessary settings when your proper tune is finished.

UPDATE: I added my latest tune file. The details on my car are in the comments section of the tune. VE is close. Needs one more file tune to be perfect.

I thought I would share my experiences with a so-called "pro-tune". When I purchased my car, it was built and tuned by a very reputable tuner on the East coast (name withheld, hahaha). The car made great power when wide open. however drivability, lowend and midrange throttle and idle sucked ass. I am somewhat of an experiences weekend tuner myself, but not an LSx expert.... I spent 3 weeks trying to fix what was causing my car to run like it did. Finally, I gave up.. and started with a untouched stock tune, and started modifying according to best practices from there. Now my car makes the same power (maybe more) and starts, idles and drives 1000 times better, than when it was on the "pro-tune". It took some learning, logging and trial and error but I absolutely love my car now. This forum by the way rocks. The men and women on here are SOOOO helpful with advice and sharing expertise. I couldnt have done it without them.

The funny thing is, now that I know so much more from my learning on this forum, I go back and look at the so-called "pro tune" file and the various settings.... I wonder WTF they were thinking. It was truely was done half-assed for everything except WOT.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Goldfinger911; April 1st, 2008 at 07:23 AM. Reason: Added my latest tune file.

2002 WS6, All-Lunati 383 Strok'r @11:1, Cartek Heads, Keith/Ross Racing Custom Cam, Victor Jr., 492whp 457wtq,
    Cartek Clutch, 9" Moser w/4.11's, 35 spline Detroit Locker, QA1's, NX, BMR, Tuned w/ EFILive V2 Black Box Logging
    Check Out My Latest Tune File: HERE

PM sent goldfinger...
    - Jacob
    - 2000 Formula H/C/I without the H or I
    - QTPs, Duals, EFI Live, Pat G cam.

PM's replied.

I updated my original post with my latest tune if anyone is curious.

Quote Originally Posted by mvvette97 View Post
    The more I learn about EFI Live the more I wonder about my tune I got from a pro tuner. I noticed that the max enrichment is set to 11.7 like stock and every other tune I have looked at is set leaner than mine. Mine does smell rich. It runs fine but I just wonder if he left me pig rich. Here is the tune
    An observation without knowing what's in your engine, but the tuner did set PE very rich with very high spark for a Vette. May be it makes more power that way? I wonder if any tuners on this board with a dyno would like to comment?
    2003 red vert
    Mods:
    LS7 crate engine, wet sump, 24xx reluctor
    LPE 100mm MAF
    Vararam, cold air intake and bridge
    RPM Level 6/4L60e trans
    3.42 gears
    Yank SS3600
    1-7/8" AR headers
    Z06 exhaust
    470rwhp 437rwtq
    1/8th mi-1.526-60'-6.862-1/8th-@100.74mph

Quote Originally Posted by Goldfinger911 View Post
    PM's replied.

I updated my original post with my latest tune if anyone is curious.
    PE is very lean. Is Commanded PE not tracking actual AFR?
    2003 red vert
    Mods:
    LPE 100mm MAF
    RPM Level 6/4L60e trans
    3.42 gears
    Yank SS3600
    1-7/8" AR headers
    Z06 exhaust
    470rwhp 437rwtq

Yes. Damn. I should have clarified... this tune is still using a PE that is all stoich. I use this for tuning VE. Commanded tracks pretty close now, but once it tracks perfectly, I richen things up. (I am a perfectionist)
    Thanks Jfpilla for point that out. Sorry guys.
    Last edited by Goldfinger911; April 1st, 2008 at 07:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jfpilla View Post
    An observation without knowing what's in your engine, but the tuner did set PE very rich with very high spark for a Vette. May be it makes more power that way? I wonder if any tuners on this board with a dyno would like to comment?
    Hey Joe!

That looks like a stock timing table which usually is too aggressive with bolt on mods. It probably would make the same power with 2 degrees pulled out and not running as close to the knock zone.

It also looks like the IFR table was being adjusted to bring fuel trims in line...which we all know should be a constant and relative to the injectors static flow rate.

Unfortunately, there is always more then one way to skin the cat.

HT

www.redline-motorsports.net

1-954-703-5560

2006 ZO6 895/866 with APS TT
    2010 SSRS Camaro HTR-900TT (798/801)
    2011 HTR-850R Camaro
    2012 ZL1 Auto (10.33@135 MPH) Video Here!

Hey Howard,
    Thanks for chiming in.
    "Unfortunately, there is always more then one way to skin the cat"
    Yes there is, but I'm one of those that believes there is a best way. If only we could find it.

I could never get my 5.7 to use more the 22*( stock was 17*), but always went for 13:1
    and wondered if the tuner knew something or if AFR is not tracking commanded.
    Joe
    Last edited by jfpilla; April 1st, 2008 at 01:01 PM.
    2003 red vert
    Mods:
    LPE 100mm MAF
    RPM Level 6/4L60e trans
    3.42 gears
    Yank SS3600
    1-7/8" AR headers
    Z06 exhaust
    470rwhp 437rwtq