Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Optimum Spark Tuning for the E40 /LS2

Mean best timing is the fancy terminology for "Lets stick a few degrees till it starts to knock then back a few off". I have spoke to numerous members who are running quite low amounts of timing to obtain maximum torque. The dyno is the best way to tune for timing but I must say I got my car with 5 rwkw of its best power output seat of the pants simply by finding a steep hill and loading up the car and logging. Listening more than watching KR. Just watching rpms and creeping up timing till its audible then go back a few degrees.

An old trick was to test and tune at the strip and add timing until terminal speeds stopped increasing.

The dyno is the best place to check timing. In all my previous cars(mainly turbos) I was able to add timing until knock was audible through a headset. Funnily enough I always found that when knock was just audible through the headset I was getting max torque. Going back 2 degrees would lose torque slightly.

I am running more timing than your LS2 map although my car is an L98 with lower comp. I am running 24 degrees at max torque and 26 total. There was no knock at all. I didnt push the envelope further as I only had limited dyno time and I believe I would of pulled more if I increased timing further due to the fact the car kept responding very well to timing increase.

Cheers

Joel

Lifetime Member

Given up on this idea now, see below

http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=7912

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123