Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LMG DOD in 68 chev.

Default LMG DOD in 68 chev.

Hi there, I don't know if this is going to be in the right spot, if not sorry. I am going to put a LMG DOD engine in my 68 chev short box. I am wanting to do the tuning myself. Mostly for cost and there isn't anybody around here to do it. I also want to learn about tuning. I have here of efi live from the diesel forums and when I came here found out it does alot more. My biggest question is where do I start. Once I get it into the truck I have to delete the emmisions, security, post o2 sensors. Other then that what do I need to do... Does anybody have a performance tune for the LMG?? Can a guy put a cam in this engine to get more power or is it better not to because of the active fuel management...

I think I have mostly everything kind of figured out for the most part, just need help on the tuning. I am wanting to get the most power I can get, but would like to keep the DOD operational.

nobody has any suggestions.
    Did I ask a stupid queston....

Hi tk-mpl, welcome to the forum...

Everybody's getting over the weekend...

Sounds like a fun project!!

What truck year/model is the LMG from...?
    You would first check to see if that is supported: http://store.efilive.com/supvehicle.aspx

You might want to get a wideband O2 sensor so you can measure the actual fueling...

This would then lead you to the AutoVE procedure which dials in the VE table;
    If you decide to run the MAF, then you would do a similar procedure to dial in the MAF table;
    but before either of those, you may want to calculate your IFR table to see if it's already close.

To read about the AutoVe procedure, see here: http://store.efilive.com/download.aspx#downloads7

The first thing you do once it is transplanted: take numerous logs to see how it runs, take note of any DTC's and repair each fault (which may be a simple matter of deleting codes for deleted equipment).

What ECM are you using (does it come with the motor)...?
    What transmission are you be using (does it come with)...?

Cheers,
    Joe

Thanx for your help...
    The motor comes with everything, but the MAF sensor. I believe that it is a
    E38 ecm. It has a 4l60E trans.

Quote Originally Posted by tk-mpl View Post
    My biggest question is where do I start. Once I get it into the truck I have to delete the emmisions, security, post o2 sensors. Other then that what do I need to do...
    Not sure on the mechanical answers, but, you will need to turn off the Theft system (can be done), post O2's, if you aren't running them then they can also be disabled. You also don't even need to run MAF sensor if you don't want to (helps simplify the intake system).
    On the tuning side of it, for doing the conversion you should be fine, especially if you leave the engine internals stock.

Cheers,
    Ross
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Thanx for your help Ross. I swap and the mechanical I think I have figure out, but have no clue with the tuning. Even still I would like to do myself.

So once I get it in and wired do you think it will start with alot of the stuff missing. Can I load a stock tune from Holden crazy and modify that and load the modified tune before I start it with the security disabled..

I've got an LM7 in a '69 C-10. It was so easy to do, I was almost disappointed that it wasn't more of a challenge. I can't imagine that a DOD 5.3 would be that much more difficult.
    2005 Silverado Duramax LLY - EFI Live Tuned
    1969 Chevrolet C-10 Pickup - Turbocharged 5.3L/4L80E - EFI Live Tuned
    1975 Avenger Jet Boat - 6.0L/Berkley pump - EFI Live tune in progress

Lifetime Member

If the internals are stock, then the tuning aspect will be very easy. It will probably take you more time to read and reflash the tune then the actual changing part. Remove VATS, delete the O2s and EVAP stuff then reflash and you should be up and running. Now since you've invested in EFILive, once you get it running you will be able to tune it for power/economy instead of using the stock GM tune.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

The stock calibration is factory "optimized" for emissions... that is a good reason why you may want to tune it yourself (besides deleting various codes).

I would like to put a cam in it to get some power out of it. I could run the stock tune for econo. and have a performance tune to take advantage of the cam, or will I even have to tune for the cam. Does anybody have a good performance tune for the LMG...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast