Thread: Newb help w/ hanging idle & logging

Default Newb help w/ hanging idle & logging

Hello, I am new to EFLive & would appreciate some help w/ a hanging idle & logging.

The idle will not drop unless the car is not moving. After driving, it will hang @ either 2,500 RPM or 2,000 RPM until the car stops; then it will drop to the commanded 850 RPM. The idle is somehow connected to something that is sensing motion. Note: the car is a 99 Miata w/ an LS6 / T56. The PCM is from a 98 Firebird w/ an auto.

Also, tried to log without success. Hooked up the V1, selected PID's, then removed computer from the Flash Scan connector. Pushed the log button, light came on. Check it a few miles down the road & light was off. Any clue as to why it won't log? Additionally, am having trouble learning how to tell the fuel pressure & Wide band O2 to log & to set initial parameters. These items will select w/ a red X in the PID area & I don't know where to look to set up calibrated parameters & then to have them listed as functional PID's.

Attatched is the current tuning file.

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Attached Files Attached Files

LS1-450,

Welcome to the forum...

When programming pids into the V1, set Max Frames per Log to zero (see scantool manual page 110-111), see pic.

Measure fuel pressure at rail using a gauge with GM fitting on hose (AutoZone $30-40).

Please post your calc_pids.txt file from My Documents\EFLive\7.5\User Configuration.

Someone will chime in with answers for the idle problem; also see here: showthread.php?t=4661

Cheers,
    Joe
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PIDs.png 
Views:	233 
Size:	79.8 KB 
ID:	3060  

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    LS1-450,

Welcome to the forum...

When programming pids into the V1, set Max Frames per Log to zero (see scantool manual page 110-111), see pic.

Measure fuel pressure at rail using a gauge with GM fitting on hose (AutoZone $30-40).

Please post your calc_pids.txt file from My Documents\EFLive\7.5\User Configuration.

Someone will chime in with answers for the idle problem; also see here: showthread.php?t=4661

Cheers,
    Joe

Thanks Joe,

I had the pid frame in dynamic [default]. Will select "Fast" & set to zero.

Want to log fuel pressure during WOT to make sure that there are no issues.
    I have a manual gauge & everything checks out OK for now. Also have an electronic 0-5V sender that is connected to the V1 Flash Scan for logging. This is the area where I need to learn how to set parameters & get the Flash scan to log the voltage (pressure). Will do the same w/ the 0-5V wide band O2 signal.

Have attatched the file that I think you were refering to "calc_pid".

The idle thing is a problem. I am hesitant to make many changes until receiving my "reference tune" from the retailer. Am hoping to receive it soon. Am anticipating the tune to be a good starting point for me to use & learn from. However, it's been some time now & the idle thing can't wait. So, I'll have to keep records & add the idle fix to the tune, once it arrives.

Will look @ the link you posted & remain hopeful that others will assist as well.

Thank-you again & it's a pleasure to be here on the EFLive forum.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Will this help: showthread.php?t=3661

I just tried changing the idle parameters metioned in the link. Took a drive & there was no difference w/ the idle. The idle hung on 2,000 RPM until the car was completely stopped, then is goes right to the pre-set idle position. Doesn't matter if it's in or out of gear. If the car is in motion, the idle will not drop. There is no clutch switch in the car. Maybe that's an issue? Have read the statement in the software that says "PCM will assume the car is in gear unless clutch is depressed." Although, prior to playing around w/ intakes & TB sizes, there was no issue w/ a hanging idle, (without the clutch switch). Something is tying the idle condition to the movement of the car. Maybe this is a default because the PCM is not receiving some other input?

Lifetime Member

Look at B0107, that is what is determining idle. Generally, TC & TF decay rates will solve hanging idle.
    2000 Camaro SS Convertible
    M6,
    LTs, AFR 205s, Comp xer 220/224, LS6 intake, Ported TB, AR TT IIs