Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: New user blues - can't read LS3

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Even after you remove the GM.AFR PID, just to be on the safe side please also remove the two PIDs: GM.IBPW1 and GM.IBPW2.

I have a theory that the PIDs are not being validated correctly. Some PIDs that are not valid appear to be validated by the PCM as supported. Howeever, I think the ECM may be reporting them as supported for CARB/Freeze frame data but not for high speed logging.

I may need to change the way EFILive detects valid PIDs. We had a similar issue on the latest duramax diesels as well.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

This is absolutely freaking unbelievable. I deleted GM.AFR as well as GM.IBPW1 and 2, then connected to the PCM with the engine off but key on. Monitor worked. My two TPS gauges responded to the throttle pedal. So I stopped Monitor, disconnected from the PCM, and disconnected all the cables so I could start logging with the recommended connection sequence.

With everything physically disconnected and the scan tool closed, I fired up the engine, connected the V2 to car cable, waited for V2 to finish booting, connected the V2 to laptop cable, started the scan tool, connected it to the PCM, and clicked Monitor. And all my gauges worked! No error reports! Woohoo! With great anticipation I hovered the cursor over the Record button. I clicked it, and...

... my *&^%ing laptop screen instantly went black. WTF?!?! I don't know if it was some incredible (and evil!) coincidence, or if EFILive committed a Windows sin. I guess I'll try again after my blood pressure gets back to somewhere near normal.

Jeff

OK, calmer now. I was able to record a 30 second log file idling in the driveway. When traffic dies down, I'll try to get the WOT log I've been fighting for.

When I created my dashpage, I created a little army of same size, default format gauges using the right click > Add > Gauge method. At one point they had the same default color scheme, which is all I needed for this quick what-can-I-log test. But somewhere along the line, EFILive autonomously decided some of them should be green as shown below. I have *never* tried to change any gauge's color, font, or anything except the overall size and the PID it displays.

To make it stranger still, at least to me, is that the gauges revert to their default appearance after I connect as shown below.

Are they trying to tell me something?

Another disconcerting behavior is that, when I connect per Paul's suggestion, i.e. start the car, then connect the V2-to-car cable, I invariably get the Service Active Handling and Service Traction Control messages. OTOH, if I start the car with the V2-to-car cable already connected, I get no whining from my DIC. Can anyone explain that to me?

Jeff

The green background is because the min alarm has tripped. You can right click on a gauge and select properties to edit its properties, including its min/max alarm values. And the colors of the guage when the min/max alarm values are tripped.

The min alarms are tripped when not logging because the gauges default to their minimum value when not logging.

I do not know why you are getting warning lights/tomes when connecting FlashScan. It is almost certainly because of the messages FlashScan is sending on the bus to detect the various modules.

Just to double check the recommended sequence, it should be:
    1. ignition on.
    2. connect FlashScan.
    3. start engine - if required.

Regardless, you should not see/hear the other modules complaining.
    What version of firmware is in the FlashScan device? It will be V2.05.xx.

Regards
    Paul

One confusing thing when editing gauge properties, is that when you resize the property window the background image (if one is in use) is expanded to fill the entire sample area in the properties window. However the gauge itself is not expanded to match the background.
    To re-align the gauge goto the [Background] tab page and click the [align] button.

That "weirdness" will be fixed in the next major release of EFILive.

Hint: You can drag the scroll bar left/right in the properties window to see the gauge animated for the range of input values. Good for checking what min/max alarms will look like.

Regards
    Paul

Thanks for the hints, but I'm sending it back. The scan tool froze on me twice just driving over to my test road while Monitoring the PCM. This was on smooth, straight, level highway. It auto-generated two error files the first time, and one must be a whopper because it took a long time to generate. It only generated one error file the second time.

EFILive looks like a good tool, but it does not work with this LS3 C6. I'm wondering how it can work with any LS3. I hope Brand H does.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Good of you to spend the time to try and make it work, some folks would have given up long ago. While it appears there are some PID validation issues with the EFILive software for the controller in your C6, I am confident the locking up problems are due to this issue:
    http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=7884

Sorry that it didn't work out for you. I am 100% confident that the problem is in the FlashScan V2 beta firmware and will be resolved in a matter of weeks (probably days).

While I think you'd be better off waiting for the fix, I don't expect you to wait as that is not what you paid for and as I said before EFILive will give you a refund once your unit is returned.

And seriously, good luck with brand H I do hope it works for your configuration.

Regards
    Paul

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345