Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New user blues - can't read LS3

Default New user blues - can't read LS3

Hi everyone, n00b here! I received my EFILive 7.5.3 and V2 Wednesday, got everything registered, and found that I could not read my LS3 PCM. I know V2 connects to the PCM because I successfully cleared my rear O2 DTCs. I know my laptop communicates with V2 because I successfully updated V2 firmware. To be thorough, I downloaded 7.5.3 and manually installed the USB drivers. But when I try to read my PCM, I get these:

Any idea what's wrong? Was I wrong in thinking the C6 LS3 was supported?

Jeff

Jeff, I pm'd Tech Support, it make take a day or two, he's on a trip.

Which version of software are you running (Help->About)...?

If you have version 7.5.4 (beta) then make sure EFILive Explorer is not open.

Lifetime Member

Download the latest Beta files, I have a feeling the LS3 isnt supported except in the latest release. Other than that, very interesting that you can flash the V2 and connect to the ECM. Can you use the scan tool? If not I have a hunch there might be a driver problem or windows is being stupid...
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Thanks for the quick replies! I am running 7.5.3 but I'll have to check the build when I get home from work. It is whatever is currently on the download page. V2 firmware is build 70.

The scan tool also barfs when I try to connect to the PCM.

I'll try 7.5.4 beta tonight to see if I get any further.

BTW, sorry for the duplicate posting. I was kinda rev'ed up about the problem and thought that my first post at the end of the "can't connect" thread might be missed.

Jeff

It looks like your aren't even talking to the V2 at all, let alone the ECM.
    Was there any issues when you were installing the USB drivers?

Cheers,
    Ross
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    It looks like your aren't even talking to the V2 at all, let alone the ECM.
    Was there any issues when you were installing the USB drivers?

Cheers,
    Ross
    No issues with the USB drivers. To make sure, I used the device manager to manually delete the USB drivers, then reinstall them from the 7.5.3.zip I downloaded from here yesterday.

V2 displays USB Mode when connected to the laptop, and I downloaded build 70 firmware to the V2 using the firmware update utility with no issues.

I'm currently hunting for 7.5.4 beta to try this evening.

Jeff

Well, I tried to update my V2 to 7.5.4 beta, but it barfed during or after the first boot block update (to 2.05.07). I never got the new license screen and now the box is in permanently toggling orange LED mode regardless of what key I hold down during USB connect. The firmware update utility says it is not in dead poll mode. It's just plain dead.

Sorry to sound bitter, but this has been a painfully unpleasant $750 experience. I'm recommending '08 C6 LS3 support be removed from the main site until it's true.

Jeff

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 9secz View Post
    Well, I tried to update my V2 to 7.5.4 beta, but it barfed during or after the first boot block update (to 2.05.07). I never got the new license screen and now the box is in permanently toggling orange LED mode regardless of what key I hold down during USB connect. The firmware update utility says it is not in dead poll mode. It's just plain dead.

Sorry to sound bitter, but this has been a painfully unpleasant $750 experience. I'm recommending '08 C6 LS3 support be removed from the main site until it's true.

Jeff
    Hi Jeff,

After updating to a new boot block the FlashScan device is designed to stay in dead poll mode (two orange flashing lights). You can no longer use the old FlashScan firmware programming utility. Your next step is to program in the latest firmware using the EFILive_Explorer program that comes as part of the BBL beta download.

The Readme_First.pdf file that is in the BBL beta zip file explains the process in much greater detail.

If you have any further difficulties upgrading your unit, please contact me directly at paul@efilive.com and I will help you through it.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
    The Readme_First.pdf file that is in the BBL beta zip file explains the process in much greater detail.
    Yes, it is commendably thorough and easy to follow (no sarcasm intended!). It told me that I should expect to update the V2 license before anything else would happen. That license screen never appeared. At that point I decided the product was not quite ready for LS3 prime time. One has to place a lot of trust in a tuning tool, and at least for the LS3, I'm not ready to trust EFILive.

Jeff

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

But, have you programmed the latest firmware into FlashScan? Nothing will happen until you do.

The instructions say:
    If FlashScan has boot block V2.04.xx or earlier, please perform these steps:
    1. Program firmware V2.04.71.
    2. Use FlashScan’s menu option to upgrade the boot block to V2.05.07.
    3. Program firmware V2.05.16(0414).
    4. Update Licensing System by power cycling.
    You appear to have completed step 2, not done step 3, however you expect to be at step 4.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast