Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New user blues - can't read LS3

The instructions, which I have copied directly from Readme_First.pdf and pasted below, say this:

"How to perform the initial update to boot block to V2.05.07
    Select the FlashScan Upgrade Boot-block menu option using the FlashScan keypad
    sequence: F4->F1->F4. You will be asked to confirm the upgrade process a number of times
    as per the following screen captures.
    Before the upgrade process can be completed, FlashScan will test the flash memory chip to
    ensure it is operating correctly. If the flash memory test fails you will not be able to upgrade
    your FlashScan unit. In that case, please return it to the place of purchase for repair.
    BOOTBLOCK UPGRADE
    Upgrade Bootblock
    to V2.5.07?
    Press [Yes]
    BOOTBLOCK UPGRADE
    The flash memory will
    now be tested.
    The test will take
    5 min, continue?"
    Press [Yes]
    BOOTBLOCK UPGRADE
    Flash memory test
    SUCCESSFUL
    Continue?
    Press [Yes]
    BOOTBLOCK UPGRADE
    WARNING
    Do not remove
    power during the
    upgrade process.
    Press [Ok]
    BOOTBLOCK UPGRADE
    A successful upgrade
    will be indicated by
    alternate flashing
    orange LEDs.
    Press [Ok]
    BOOTBLOCK UPGRADE
    The upgrade process
    CANNOT be undone.
    Continue?
    Press [Yes]
    BOOTBLOCK UPGRADE
    ARE YOU SURE?
    Press [Yes]
    BOOTBLOCK UPGRADE
    IN PROGRESS
    DO NOT
    INTERRUPT
    The upgrade process will take about 5 seconds to complete, then the screen backlight will be
    turned off (the text will still be visible) and the two orange LEDs will flash alternately to indicate
    dead-poll mode. Dead-poll mode means that FlashScan is waiting to be programmed with new
    firmware.
    After programming the V2.05.07 boot block, a license update screen will appear
    IMPORTANT: The License upgrade will occur automatically (and only) the first time
    FlashScan is booted after the new 2.05.07 boot block is programmed.
    The license structures stored inside the device need to be upgraded. FlashScan will check the
    license structures each time it re-boots. If it detects the old style license structures it will
    upgrade the license structures. In that case, you will be prompted with the following
    Boot block has
    been upgraded.
    License will
    be upgraded now.
    Press [Ok]
    LICENSE UPGRADE
    WARNING
    Do not remove
    power during the
    upgrade process.
    Press [Ok]
    If the license upgrade is successful you will see the following message:
    LICENSE UPGRADE
    Upgrade
    Completed
    Successfully
    Press [Ok]
    If you do not see the message above, the license upgrade was not successful. In that case
    you must return FlashScan to EFILive for repair.
    "

[Bold emphasis is mine.]

I did not see the license message, so I repackaged everything to return to Ira. But I've gotten everything back out and will try the firmware update as you suggest.

Jeff

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Yes, that is misleading and incorrect, my apologies. I will fix the instructions.
    Let me know if anything else does not work or if any other instructions appear incorrect.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

I appreciate the support, Paul! By taking your advise and plowing ahead with the update, I have reached the point where the '08 LS3 C6 stock calibration is on my laptop and I can commence tuning. The entire update and PCM read process went smoothly once I learned I could ignore the license update. BTW, the V2 license update did occur after the second boot block update.

Please bear in mind that I didn't want to be a beta tester, I just wanted to tune an LS3, and your software seemed more capable than the other brands. I won't feel confident until after the first reflash, which will happen in the next hour or 2.

Thanks again to you and the others on the forum who have tried to help this frustrated n00b!

Jeff

Jeff,

Remember to turn off all accessories, and lock the doors (so wife/kids can't open the doors)...

Make sure vehicle and laptop have full battery charge; don't power laptop from vehicle.

Save a copy of your original tune file.

Cheers,
    Joe

Well, I'm an EFILive n00b, but I've been reflashing GM PCMs for 10 years, so I'm up on the standard precautions. FWIW, I wrote this many years ago:

link to ancient PCM history Amazing how simple it was back then!

My first test reflash is behind me now (killed CAGS, very exciting! [& easy to confirm]), so I guess it's time to get the wideband integrated and start some serious tuning.

Jeff (aka LJ)

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 9secz View Post
    Well, I'm an EFILive n00b, but I've been reflashing GM PCMs for 10 years, so I'm up on the standard precautions. FWIW, I wrote this many years ago:

My first test reflash is behind me now (killed CAGS, very exciting! [& easy to confirm]), so I guess it's time to get the wideband integrated and start some serious tuning.

Jeff (aka LJ)
    Thanks for being patient. Just a bad weekend to be getting support, I was away for three days with no Internet connection.
    Glad everything is working as it should now. There may be other problems so don't hesitate to post up any other issues you might come across.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Quote Originally Posted by 9secz View Post

Jeff (aka LJ)
    Hey LJ, cool, I just wanted you to be safe not sorry... ...I remember reading that at various times, thanks.

Cheers,
    Joe

Well guys, it appears I'm not out of the woods yet (is that cliche used down under?). The scan tool connected to the PCM and validated a whole herd of PIDs. I started the engine and clicked the Monitor button with default dashboard A showing. The RPM and ECT looked correct, but just about everything else was not. Commanded AFR was displayed as 4.2, idle throttle position was about 15%, etc.

Am I doing something out of sequence again? Maybe there's a cal step for the dashboard gauges?

Edit: I think I attached a log file to this post that shows the flakey values for TPS, commanded AFR, injector duty cycle, etc. RPM, MPH, ECT, and a few others are fine. What am I doing wrong?

Also, is it normal for the C6 DIC to whine about Service Active Handling while V2 is connected with the engine running? I can live with it, but would rather not.

Jeff
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by 9secz; April 21st, 2008 at 03:41 PM.

LJ,

In the scantool, did you:
    - go File->Enter VIN and enter your correct VIN and OS id...?
    - go File->Select Controller and enter the correct PCM for your car...?

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    LJ,

In the scantool, did you:
    - go File->Enter VIN and enter your correct VIN and OS id...?
    - go File->Select Controller and enter the correct PCM for your car...?
    I did not do those steps, but the scan tool ended up with my VIN and OS, I assume because I locked V2 to the PCM. I just opened the scan tool and it has the right VIN and OS. Well, I know the VIN is right, and I'm assuming the OS is right because V2 pulled it from the PCM when I did the first read. It's 12617631.

Edit: I'm sure you all know that there is no LS3 in the displacement list box. I pick the 6.0 liter V8, but when I restart the scan tool with V2 connected, the scan tool keeps changing it back to the 5.7. I don't know if that is significant.

Jeff
    Last edited by 9secz; April 21st, 2008 at 04:19 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast