Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New user blues - can't read LS3

I pm'd Tech Support.

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 9secz View Post
    I did not do those steps, but the scan tool ended up with my VIN and OS, I assume because I locked V2 to the PCM. I just opened the scan tool and it has the right VIN and OS. Well, I know the VIN is right, and I'm assuming the OS is right because V2 pulled it from the PCM when I did the first read. It's 12617631.

Edit: I'm sure you all know that there is no LS3 in the displacement list box. I pick the 6.0 liter V8, but when I restart the scan tool with V2 connected, the scan tool keeps changing it back to the 5.7. I don't know if that is significant.

Jeff
    Hi Jeff,

Can you please send me the following files:
    \My Documents\EFILive\V7.5\PIDs\<file>.pid
    where <file> is the name of the PID selection file that you are using.
    You can load/save/view the pid selection file name on the [PIDs (F8)] tab page.
    And the *.efi log file that has the incorrect values in it.

Send to paul@efilive.com and include a link to this thread so I can correlate the email and this thread.

Thanks
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Hi Jeff,

1. The commanded AFR PID is not returning AFR for your controller.
    2. The throttle position looks high but with a large cam it may need that much throttle to keep idling.
    3. The injector pulse widths look too high.

To solve 1, I recommend selecting the PID E38_AFRATIO_DMA instead of GM.AFR. Let me know if that PID is (or is not) available for selection for your controller.
    The GM.AFR PID is what is known as a "engineering PID". Its duties change from controller to controller. That means it is valid on many controllers but is not necessarily returning AFR on anything other than LS1. There ar two other AFR PIDs:
    GM.AFR_B and E38.AFRATIO_DMA that can also return AFR for various vehicles.
    Yours is the first vehicle that I have seen that identifies the GM.AFR PID as valid but returns data other than AFR in it.

To trouble shoot 2, try logging the alternate (where available) GM.TP PIDs and the GM.APP PIDs as follows:
    GM.APP
    GM.APP_D
    GM.APP_E
    GM.APP_F
    And
    GM.TP
    GM.TB_B
    GM.TB_C

See what those values indicate the throttle and pedal position is and make sure that they correlate.
    Note: some of those PIDs work backwards, as the TP goes from 0 to 100, the PID's value goes form 100 to 0.
    It's just the way GM uses to double check the throttle position values.

To trouble shoot 3, try selecting the PIDs (if they are available):
    GM.INJPWB1 and GM.INJPWB2.

Regards
    Paul

Paul's suggestions have resulted in TPS, commanded AFR, and injector pulsewidth PIDs that seem plausible for my nearly stock LS3 (LG long tubes and Callaway Honker so far). TPS was a bit of a poser because there were 14 supported PIDs related to the throttle. Being both analytical and thorough, I had no choice but to build a dash and log them all.

I've attached a zip file containing the PID list, log file, and all the dashboard entities I used. Being a bona fide noobie still, I'm assuming y'all can unzip and view this stuff if interested. It turned out that only GM.APP displayed plausible values in percent for my LS3.

Paul's suggestion of E38_AFRATIO_DMA for AFR resulted in 14.68 for my brief test of idling and throttle blips, and the GM.INJPWB1 and GM.INJPWB2 PIDs displayed plausible injector pulsewidths (~2+ ms at idle).

My next step is to make a near clone of the default dash with the PIDs that work with the LS3 and do a bit of WOT logging.

Jeff
    Attached Files Attached Files

Well, I spent about 90 minutes building a nice custom dash, then went out for some logging. I clicked Monitor before leaving the driveway to make sure all was well. The injector pulsewidth gauges didn't work, but they're nonessential at this point, so I headed out to my test road. I checked the dash a couple times to make sure it was updating. Except for PW, all seemed fine.

When I got to the test road, I pulled over to start the logger. But the PCM connection was lost somewhere on the freeway. And I can't get it back, no matter what sequence of cable connecting and scanner starting I try. EFILive keeps generating error reports.

This is really pushing my patience, guys! I don't want to be a beta tester!!!

I've attached a zip file containing whatever error reports the tool has generated so far.

I'm good for a couple more experiments, after that I'm gonna be looking for a refund.

Frustrated Jeff
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi Jeff,

From the log files, it looks like the FlashScan device (or you laptop's USB port) may have failed.
    Does the FlashScan device still work when connected to USB power only.
    Try plugging it into a different USB port.
    Try it on a a different computer.

Does the laptop beep in recognition when FlashScan is connected?
    Can you see "EFILive FlashScan V2" in the list of USB devices in Windows hardware manager?
    To view:
    Start Menu.
    Right Click "My Computer".
    Select Properties.
    Select Hardware tab page.
    Click [Device Manager] button.
    Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers.
    EFILive FlashScan V2 should be displayed.

Please note:
    FlashScan's USB circuitry can be damaged if you use a power inverter to power your laptop from the vehicle's battery.
    If that is the case, you can usually detect a burnt/acrid smell from the inside of FlashScan. See image for an example of what can happen if you use a power inverter.

Regards
    Paul
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image3.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	128.4 KB 
ID:	3104  

V2 powers up and displays the main menu when powered by the OBDII cable from the car or the USB cable from the laptop. The laptop USB driver has not been a factor in any of the problems I've had so far. Device manager correctly identifies V2.

Keep in mind that last night I connected to the PCM in my driveway, then clicked on Monitor. I glanced at the dash a few times on my way to my test road and the connection was still good (gauges responding). Somewhere between my last glance on the freeway and pulling over at my test road to start logging, the connection died.

There were no unusual events, e.g. slamming on the brakes and sending the laptop to the floor. The laptop sat undisturbed on the passenger seat the whole time. Whatever died must have committed unassisted suicide.

The laptop was powered by its internal battery. I never use an inverter while logging. The power scheme never turns off the hard drive or hibernates on this machine. The screen never went black.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Unfortunately without more information I can't know what caused the problem. Obtaining that information would require more "testing" from your end. I understand that you didn't sign up to be a beta tester. If you want to return the unit for a full refund that is an option I will still honor. (Usually once a unit has been used to tune a vehicle it is no longer eligible for return/refund).

Another option that would help us is to allow us to replace your existing unit with a new unit, just in case there is some intermittent hardware fault in your existing unit.

It would help me out considerably if you could attempt to reproduce the situation and if/when it occurs again, to save a user generated error report. You can do that by selecting File->Generate error report. Then save the report and email it to me at paul@efilive.com

Please let me know what you would like to do from here...

Regards
    Paul

I’ll try to connect and log tonight after work. If it won’t connect, I’ll see if the V2 USB driver got corrupted and if the laptop USB port works with other devices. I’ll also try to generate the error report per your suggestion. If the laptop’s USB facilities are all functional, I’ll swap my V2 for another one. My only request is for the replacement to ship tomorrow from Ira. I’m planning a track tuning day this Saturday that will be scrubbed if I don’t have hardware.

I'll post again this evening after I try the scanner again.

Edit: I realized my earlier post was not thorough on the subject of power inverters. My V2 has never been connected to a laptop running on an inverter. The laptop runs on its internal battery while in the car, and on the power brick that came with it while in the house.

Jeff

For the track day, have you considered logging without using a laptop?
    You can keep your laptop in the pits/garage and download the log files from FlashScan when you've finished on the track.

Regards
    Paul

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast