Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 4L60 and shift kit

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    I see, so then just leave the shift times stock also. Thanks Justin.

Leaving them stock will be in conflict as well, as the transmission will attempt to shift significantly faster than the computer desires.

Quote Originally Posted by dc_justin View Post
    Adaptive shift learning will be in conflict with the shift kit unless extensive testing is done to find the shift timing values that the PCM "likes" at various torque input levels with stock base pressures.
    Yes!
    2003 red vert
    Mods:
    LS7 crate engine, wet sump, 24xx reluctor
    LPE 100mm MAF
    Vararam, cold air intake and bridge
    RPM Level 6/4L60e trans
    3.42 gears
    Yank SS3600
    1-7/8" AR headers
    Z06 exhaust
    470rwhp 437rwtq
    1/8th mi-1.526-60'-6.862-1/8th-@100.74mph

Yes... shift learning gets in the way... how do we find what shift times the PCM likes...?

How do we balance shift times, shift pressure, and shift torque reduction...?

Also, how would shift learning be disabled...?

(I have reason to believe that SD mode disables shift learning/adaption).

Cheers,
    Joe

Lifetime Member

Yes... shift learning gets in the way... how do we find what shift times the PCM likes...?

How do we balance shift times, shift pressure, and shift torque reduction...?

Also, how would shift learning be disabled...?

(I have reason to believe that SD mode disables shift learning/adaption).

Cheers,
    Joe
    Well, from the instruction of various transmission builders and shift kit manufacturers that specify that the base pressures should be returned to stock, we have to assume that the desired shift times are those that occur with stock base pressures and the shift kit installed. What you could do would be to disable adaptive shift learning (set = 0), then log the last 1-2, 2-3 and 3-4 shift times and map against delivered engine torque. Set the adaptive shift times to the values generated there and it's function would then be as intended again: to maintain proper line pressures to shift appropriately as transmission components wear.

Red face

to maintain proper line pressures to shift appropriately as transmission components wear.

Justin,
    Do you think some of us have had trannys fail early because we 0'd?
    Joe
    2003 red vert
    Mods:
    LS7 crate engine, wet sump, 24xx reluctor
    LPE 100mm MAF
    Vararam, cold air intake and bridge
    RPM Level 6/4L60e trans
    3.42 gears
    Yank SS3600
    1-7/8" AR headers
    Z06 exhaust
    470rwhp 437rwtq
    1/8th mi-1.526-60'-6.862-1/8th-@100.74mph

Hey guys, Finally found a post to reflect my issues, I had a built 4L60E plus tuned presures/shift times etc however it still killed 3rd clutch pack (centrifugal apply issue) it always felt as though the car was stopping/dieing when hitting third gear, at the time not knowing 3rd was try to come on and 2nd not releasing plus as mentioned earlier in this thread the tune has AFM programed into it (1,2,4 gear enabled; 3rd disabled) The Fuel DFCO/CFCO speed threshold entry delay figures are way higher in 3rd as well in both able/disable: (1st is able:35 disable: 20. 2nd is able: 40 disable:35) i think this will nose the engine tune over to???
    We have now built another box using Transgo HD2 kit, didn't fit complete kit only 3rd components, boster valve, drilled apply holes and also 2nd release mods.
    My question is should i return to the original trans settings (Stock pressure/shift times etc)? And what about the Fuel DFCO/CFCO and AFM settings, i know the box should handle full engine power now where should these setting be at?

thanks.

Trans tables:
    - set shift time tables to 0.2 s all across;
    - set shift pressure tables so that they ramp up from zero and hit 96 psi at ~300 ftlb;
    - set shift torque reduction tables to control the shift feel;

take some logs, look at shift times, if they don't match 0.2 s then adjust the shift time tables until the actual shift times are 0.2 s.

Trans tables:
    - set shift time tables to 0.2 s all across;
    - set shift pressure tables so that they ramp up from zero and hit 96 psi at ~300 ftlb;
    - set shift torque reduction tables to control the shift feel;

take some logs, look at shift times, if they don't match 0.2 s then adjust the shift time tables until the actual shift times are 0.2 s.

Thanks Jo, setting shift pressures 0-96psi does this still apply if i have wound the shift solenoid in 1/4 turn?
    Does the pressure remain at 96psi after 300ftlb?

I have some work to do, mines in Nm!!

Quote Originally Posted by VZThunder View Post
    Thanks Jo, setting shift pressures 0-96psi does this still apply if i have wound the shift solenoid in 1/4 turn?
    Does the pressure remain at 96psi after 300ftlb?

I have some work to do, mines in Nm!!
    No, winding in the calibration screw on the end of the pressure control solenoid increases the pressure that it regulates to (i.e. max pressure is now above 96 psi).

On the pressure table, yes, it flatlines at 96 psi above 300 ftlb (96 psi being the max pressure that a calibrated PCS regulates to).

In the tunetool, go Edit->Calibration Display Units (or something similar), then for each of the columns titled Data, Row, Column, you can click on the title to sort on that column, highlight groups of like units, go rightclick and chose Data/Row/Col and select Imperial or Metric... when done click OK and restart tunetool.

I use Imperial for any oil/fluid pressure, and Metric for manifold pressure/vacuum.

Ok i've had a good play things are better.
    1-2 shift time set at .2, pressure lower than recommended. shift is very firm/fast feels good.
    3-4 i've speed the s/t up then raised the pressure table as request. yet still it feels slow/not firm/nothing like 1-2..
    Where else should i be look, no torque reduction in trans. could it be in the engine tune??

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast