Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: What to Tune First

I believe part of the hidden variables fall within the injector tables, namely the off-set table, hence the fudgin in the air mass tables.

Given that something has to be fudged, I'm way more comfortable setting up the fuel mass tables to a known constantan and utilizing the air mass tables for fudging due to the higher resolution available in the air mass tables.

BUT, I like Jeff's out of the box thinking and am willing to give it a shot.

Even if a tuning bible were available, we'd each develop our own methods of tuning based on our interpretation of the bible. So long as our methods delivered consistant results, they'd be no better or worse than the next guys.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by TAQuickness View Post
    Even if a tuning bible were available, we'd each develop our own methods of tuning based on our interpretation of the bible.
    Monty Python says: SPLITTERS!

on a more serious note tho, i got to work on my ford2gm characteristics spreadsheet last night, i think i'm close to finishing it. it should help out a lot with wacky behaviors from injectors. any testers?
    Last edited by redhardsupra; April 29th, 2008 at 02:31 AM.

It's likely that many factors are involved. Maybe even mis-matched mods.Like toolargeinjectors. You can get a look at the offset results. These are mine. Stock offset table and stock injectors. It's a WOT run.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image001.png 
Views:	263 
Size:	184.8 KB 
ID:	3167   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image002.png 
Views:	262 
Size:	180.2 KB 
ID:	3168  
    Last edited by jfpilla; April 29th, 2008 at 05:34 AM.
    2003 red vert
    Mods:
    LS7 crate engine, wet sump, 24xx reluctor
    LPE 100mm MAF
    Vararam, cold air intake and bridge
    RPM Level 6/4L60e trans
    3.42 gears
    Yank SS3600
    1-7/8" AR headers
    Z06 exhaust
    470rwhp 437rwtq
    1/8th mi-1.526-60'-6.862-1/8th-@100.74mph

Quote Originally Posted by redhardsupra View Post
    Monty Python says: SPLITTERS!

on a more serious note tho, i got to work on my ford2gm characteristics spreadsheet last night, i think i'm close to finishing it. it should help out a lot with wacky behaviors from injectors. any testers?
    I'm game to have a look at it. Both my LC-1's are shot ATM so I'm not so willing to flash any changes to my tune yet.

Since I never purchased the Rental Car Tuning Option (RCTO), I'll have to do the testing on my personal vehicles. I can use any of them because I have purchased the PCTO (Personal Car Tuning Option). I'm particularly curious about the injector offsets because personally, I think they're of relatively minor importance, and involve a number of unknowns which cause a lot of tail chasing. Unless a vehicle is properly instrumented, we don't REALLY know true voltage at the injectors and at the fuel pump, nor do we know actual fuel rail pressure.
    DigitalEFI- EFILive US Distributor
    sales@digitalefi.com
    678/344-1590

Lifetime Member

so gear up! fuel pressure sensor writeup been done long time ago by TAQ, tested on himself, as well as EFILive's own Tordne, and I think BeerC5 done it too. Voltage at the pump can be easily measured, I'm not sure how different can it be at the injectors themselves.

if you think the injector characteristcs are of minor importance, i'd really like you to experience a perfectly sane STS car that does 9.x AFR on every deceleration, while it's very tame and obidient at any other condition.

so gear up! fuel pressure sensor writeup been done long time ago by TAQ, tested on himself, as well as EFILive's own Tordne, and I think BeerC5 done it too. Voltage at the pump can be easily measured, I'm not sure how different can it be at the injectors themselves.

if you think the injector characteristics are of minor importance, i'd really like you to experience a perfectly sane STS car that does 9.x AFR on every deceleration, while it's very tame and obedient at any other condition.
    I don't think injector characteristics are of minor importance, I think the variance in injector performance is negligible with a 1/2-volt change in voltage (provided you're not at voltage threshold) and with a properly functioning alternator and a battery in reasonably good condition, voltage variations will be transient. If you have to worry about injector performance at less than 12 volts, you have more serious problems to resolve. I'm not trying to discredit anyone, but I'm skeptical about this issue because I've never seen convincing documentation either about the process (hence my remarks about pressure and voltage) or the resulting benefits. We may now have the opportunity to correct that.
    sales@digitalefi.com
    678/344-1590

Yep...you know I'm willing Marcin.
    I however need to get myself a fuel pressure sender so as I can log pressure at the rails as well as I want to replace my reg....as I don't fully trust the one I have.
    Howard

YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T
    MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE
    DUCT TAPE.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.

98 K1500 'HOLDEN' Suburban.
    Custom Whipple SC, Mercruiser Marine intake, 0411 PCM, 4L80E w/shift kit

I logged battery volts versus rpm versus manifold mressure on the drive to work this morning. Most of the log is steady state cruise with a few normal accels and one WOT accel. Voltage varied more than I expected, but lowest was 13.7 volts, highest was 14.3 for a maximum variance of .6 volts. As soon as I get a fuel pressure sensor wired up, I'll move on to the next test stage.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MinVolts.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	3194   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MaxVolts.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	67.7 KB 
ID:	3195  
    sales@digitalefi.com
    678/344-1590

Quote Originally Posted by SSpdDmon View Post
    Something I've been trying lately...

1. IFR Table {B4001}: Based on what you believe to be true about your injectors, you should use the IFR spreadsheet RedHardSupra made available on his website (or a similar one) to initially set this table. Then using the reciprical of your BEN factor for your WBO2 along with the MANVAC pid, you'll correct this table. Remember, raising values lean out AFRs and reducing values richen AFRs in this table. This will become an important constant that you will base the rest of your tune on.

Sorry, I stole your format TAQ 'cuz I'm lazy these days.
    For this part are you supposed to force OL, or stay in CL?
    01 C5 'vert A4
    EFILive, PLX, & TNT are all we got at the moment.

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast