Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please read before posting bug reports

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Angry Please read before posting bug reports

Earlier this week a problem in the V2.5.16(0414) firmware was uncovered. Actually it effects all V2.05.xx firmware versions. It had to do with the C compiler producing incorrect code and causing CPU registers to be overwritten.

The results of overwriting CPU register values will cause as many different and seemingly unrelated bugs as you can imagine. A new firmware version will be released as soon as I get confirmation from the compiler manufacturer of the workaround I intend to use.

Please don't post anymore bugs related to any firmware earlier than 2.05.17 (which will be the next release). There is every possibility that any bug you encounter is caused by the problem described above.

Once the new firmware is available, please retry any functions/operations that have failed with earlier versions. Be sure to reformat all file systems (internal and SD card) before trying again with the new firmware.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Whoa ... bugs like that suck ... especially as it can be hard or next to impossible to locate unless you can take a look at the asm code created ...
    Garry Glendown * '17 Fifty 2SS MT * 99 Firehawk Convertible (for sale)

Quote Originally Posted by Garry View Post
    Whoa ... bugs like that suck ... especially as it can be hard or next to impossible to locate unless you can take a look at the asm code created ...
    That's how I found it - yeah I was a bit annoyed.

The assembler for a case statement (with case variable in R0) should have been:
    Code:
    A840          MOV       R4,[R0]
    06F4F5FF      ADD       R4,#0FFF5H 
    2D26          JMPR      cc_Z,?C0077
    But it was incorrectly compiled as:
    Code:
    A8E0          MOV       R14,[R0]
    F04E          MOV       R4,R14 
    06F4F5FF      ADD       R4,#0FFF5H 
    2D26          JMPR      cc_Z,?C0077
    Turns out the compiler was saving the value of the case variable in R14 to be re-used in statements within the same case block. Unfortunately the compiler "forgot" that it was using R14 for something else.

Regards
    Paul
    Last edited by Blacky; April 24th, 2008 at 10:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
    Earlier this week a problem in the V2.5.16(0414) firmware was uncovered. Actually it effects all V2.05.xx firmware versions. It had to do with the C compiler producing incorrect code and causing CPU registers to be overwritten.

The results of overwriting CPU register values will cause as many different and seemingly unrelated bugs as you can imagine. A new firmware version will be released as soon as I get confirmation from the compiler manufacturer of the workaround I intend to use.

Please don't post anymore bugs related to any firmware earlier than 2.05.17 (which will be the next release). There is every possibility that any bug you encounter is caused by the problem described above.

Once the new firmware is available, please retry any functions/operations that have failed with earlier versions. Be sure to reformat all file systems (internal and SD card) before trying again with the new firmware.

Regards
    Paul

Paul

any idea when the new version will be released?...I am using 2.05.16(414) and its causing me some grief... mainly takes several attempts the see the controller when scanning ..and gives errors when trying to log. Seems to work a little better if you start logging without the WB02 connected to the V2 and plugging it in once you have the scan started. Often have Reboot laptop start and stop car and reset V2 to get any sort of logging working.

Don t know if this is related or not.

Cheers

Sean

Within 24-48 hours.
    Regards
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
    Within 24-48 hours.
    Regards
    Paul
    Paul

Thanks for your quick reply

Funny thing is, I did a cal-only flash and tested the DVT the days before you posted this thread Paul, and it all went fine (on my 2001 LS1).

Lifetime Member

Would this cause problems with the ECM/TCM or is it a FlashScan problem? The reason I ask is because the other day I tried to do some BB logging. I got an error, and ever since then, I've had a CEL that comes on as soon as I start my truck. I can clear it, but if I try to check the DTCs to see why it's on, there is nothing that shows up.

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    Funny thing is, I did a cal-only flash and tested the DVT the days before you posted this thread Paul, and it all went fine (on my 2001 LS1).

It is difficult to predict what can go wrong because of this fault. The three main problems seem to be:
    1. Screen displays get messed up.
    2. File system gets corrupted and files don't save properly or just disappear.
    3. USB comms can lock up.

Regards
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by JoshH View Post
    Would this cause problems with the ECM/TCM or is it a FlashScan problem? The reason I ask is because the other day I tried to do some BB logging. I got an error, and ever since then, I've had a CEL that comes on as soon as I start my truck. I can clear it, but if I try to check the DTCs to see why it's on, there is nothing that shows up.
    BBL can not change anything in your ECM/TCM. Have you tried removed power from the ECM to allow it to reset completely?

Are you checking DTCs using FlahScan as a hand held device or as a pass through to a laptop?

If hand held, after you check the DTCs, can you save the trace file, copy the trace file back to the PC using EFILive_Explorer and email it to me.

If pass through, can you generate an error report (menu: File->Generate error report), save it and email it to me.

Email to paul@efilive.com
    Include a link to this thread so I can correlate the two.

Regards
    Paul

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast