Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: help with P0420 please

ya, i switched that on the tune i made after my last post...

just pulled the P0420 codes out of it again today

Im thinking the switching isnt actualy doing what its supposed to.
    possibly time for the EFI guys to check their code.

oops, heres the latest tune

does anyone from EFI actually read these forums for customer feedback?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Lifetime Member

Well Im stumped man, Ive heard of people killing the CAT DTCs on I6s before so this is puzzling. Im still catted as I pretty much have to be in WA, so I cant go run and test it.

EFILive does monitor the forums pretty regularly, just the P10s are GMs little bastard child and Im happy we actually have a way to tune them. I do have a wish list but the code is supposedly really hard to crack.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Its hard to narrow down if its a mis-labeled switch as another member suggested, although the thought has crossed my mind, as it doesnt come up right away. Sometimes its taken a couple of days and several runs for it to show up.

Default o2 sensor spacers

I am going to try an o2 sensor spacer when it arrives......this is supposed to take the back o2 out of the stream a little.....

In the Audi circle, people use spark plug defoulers(only on the post cat sensor) in order to trick the ECU when running a test pipe in place of the catalytic converter.think you have to drill the hole bigger on a defouler

2003 TB EXT I-6 210,000 miles... Volant CAI.. NO CAT with magnaflow ..efans ...pcmforless tune and hotchkiss swaybar and air bags in back springs...new alt, pwr steering pump and water pump at 200,000 shooting for 300K or more

let me know how it works out.

Last time i cleared the P0420 code it went allmost a week before popping up again. The wife said she was flogging it pretty hard when it came up this time.
    This has me thinking if its related to the cat protection somehow....possibly the sensor is getting hotter than the computer thinks it should??

My next step actually was going to be to just clamp the sensor off to the side of the exhaust pipe or the hanger and see if that helped.

it has to be in the stream...already tried disconnecting it or hanging it to outside air connected
    2003 TB EXT I-6 210,000 miles... Volant CAI.. NO CAT with magnaflow ..efans ...pcmforless tune and hotchkiss swaybar and air bags in back springs...new alt, pwr steering pump and water pump at 200,000 shooting for 300K or more

Quote Originally Posted by ExtTB View Post
    I am going to try an o2 sensor spacer when it arrives......this is supposed to take the back o2 out of the stream a little.....

In the Audi circle, people use spark plug defoulers(only on the post cat sensor) in order to trick the ECU when running a test pipe in place of the catalytic converter.think you have to drill the hole bigger on a defouler

Before having all the codes disabled in efilive i used one of the bungs they sell on ebay,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/UNIVE...spagenameZWDVW

they worked great, here's the list of codes i have disabled and NEVER got a code back, NEVER...

>>>>> P0137
    >>>>> P0138
    >>>>> P0140
    >>>>> P0141
    >>>>> P2A01
    >>>>> P0420
    >>>>> P0054

this disables all the monitoring of the 2nd o2 sensor,

same thing but the place I ordered it from hasnt delivered...so maybe ebay is the way...bought th efans and pigtails from there

Quote Originally Posted by pjaneiro View Post
    Before having all the codes disabled in efilive i used one of the bungs they sell on ebay,
    they worked great, here's the list of codes i have disabled and NEVER got a code back, NEVER...

>>>>> P0137
    >>>>> P0138
    >>>>> P0140
    >>>>> P0141
    >>>>> P2A01
    >>>>> P0420
    >>>>> P0054

this disables all the monitoring of the 2nd o2 sensor,
    check the tune i posted....i have all those turned off and still throwing codes

if i cant figure a way to do it on the programming properly ill try something physical.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast