Thread: Starting over again for the first time...

Default Starting over again for the first time...

Well I am going to completely start over with my tune. It really wasn't going anywhere, things were just getting real messy, so I figured I would start with a clean slate, considering now I actually have a better idea in terms of wtf I'm actually doing with EFI Live. Here is my game plan, if anyone has any comments or concerns just voice them

- I downloaded the stock 99 tune to 02 OS from holden crazy.
    - I have the COS5 files all set up and ready to go.
    - LC1 is installed and freshly calibrated.
    - AutoVE tutorial is embedded in my brain.

Few concerns. As I understand, the stock 00 timing tables are somewhat aggressive. I have come to a conclusion that tuning your timing on the street is somewhat of an interesting art... in any case, should I use the '02 timing tables? I am cam only with bolt ons and TDs, no cats, LC1 is in the driver's side stock 02 location. I plan on OLSD right now, and if all goes as planned, end up in CLMAF. Is going to COS5 from the get go a good or bad idea? Thanks for the help.

-J
    - Jacob
    - 2000 Formula H/C/I without the H or I
    - QTPs, Duals, EFI Live, Pat G cam.

Jacob,

Do you have FlashScan V1 or V2...?

If you have V2 with the BBL update, do not do an empty COS full flash:
    http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=7753

The 12212156 timing tables are more "relaxed", you'll get less knock.

I would try a few iterations of AutoVE using 12212156 just to see that it goes good... you should get BEN's converged to 1.00 very quickly.

Then update to COS5 and adjust B3647.

Make sure you have the right COS5 files (they were updated 1 time):
    http://forum.efilive.com/showthread....7875#post67875

Cheers,
    Joe
    Last edited by joecar; April 14th, 2008 at 06:41 PM.

Joe,

I have FlashScan V1. Interesting read about the COS full flash issue... thankfully I don't see myself having that issue with the V1. I will load up the 12156 timing tables and have a go at the AutoVE this week (finally got some nice weather). Would it behoove me to give my IAC a cleaning with some carb cleaner? I am going to do the fuel filter too just because it's easy and cheap and I might as well start with as clean a slate as I can. I will probably pull my intake manifold this weekend and check that hose in the back that went to the Jarvik 7 looking thing for the airpump to make sure it's not leaking and causing vacuum issues (I have a hot idle of ~50kpa). Thanks.

-J
    - Jacob

Remove the IAC and clean with MAF cleaner, not brake clean.

Do same with MAF.

Do fuel filter and air filter.

Check all hoses coming off manifold for leaks.

You have headers, check for exhaust leaks also.

Cheers,
    Joe

Yea about those headers... I know the manifold gaskets are good, I changed them about 2 weeks ago. Would a leak AFTER the wideband sensor cause issues? The duals don't fit the QTPs so great, but they fit. Might pull them off this weekend and see if I can't adjust them better... I can't tell if I'm getting an exhaust tick or something else. Oil pressure is good, PRs and Rockers were checked when I put the header gaskets on, they are ready to rock. I will pull intake as well. Air filter is easy, I'll slap an STP on there for 3 bucks. Thanks again.

-J

Exhaust air leaks upto 18" past O2 sensors can effect O2 sensors.

Good to know. Damn band clamps. Thanks.

-J

Ok so I loaded up the stock tune, put the 02 timing tables in (damn they are a good bit more relaxed than the stock 99 table ). Started it up, it worked, and did a nice big RAFIG up to complete operating temperature. Went through SspdDmon's idle tuning guide, and made the changes (at least as best as I understood reading the guide and interpreting). Here is what I came up with. Anything anyone would suggest before starting off AutoVE?

-J

Lifetime Member

Interesting, I'm in the same "place" that you are. After a great deal of reading, adjusting, etc., etc. I have a lot of the issues solved but it is very messy. So like you, with a good deal more understanding of how things work, I am going to start over again (for the second time) and see if I can't get a clean, smooth operating ride!
    2000 Camaro SS Convertible
    M6,
    LTs, AFR 205s, Comp xer 220/224, LS6 intake, Ported TB, AR TT IIs

I hear it... the file I posted I went a little too trigger happy on the TF/TC... When I rev at idle, the RPMs hang for a solid 3 seconds before dropping

Now I am just trying to solve my WB02 reading issues (probably related to wiring... which I suck at. Thanks to joecar and Doc for a few PMs that shed a lot of light on it), then getting back out to AutoVE. I somewhat regret not picking this program up when I had just bolt ons, probably could've eased me into it, but oh well. Getting the tune right is half the fun... and the other half is sheer anguish

-J
    - Jacob