Thread: Beta Releases and Log Files Full Of Notes

Default Beta Releases and Log Files Full Of Notes

Hi All,

Yes, I know this was discussed back in the April 14th release, but rather than drag up an old release thread, I thought it may be better to put my finding in a new thread.

Background:

starting from a few releases ago, a few of us have been having problems opening log files. The problem was that the log files would open in "ScanTool", but the data would be wrong and the display full of notes either all over the place, or in set blocks of notes. the problem appeared random and repeated opening of the log file sometimes brought up a clean read.

Findings:

Quite often, the only way to ensure a clean read, was to reboot. With a clean system, the log files usually came up OK. The longer the system had been running for, the more likely the log file would show corrupt data. This led me to believe there must be a memory issue, or a shared driver / DLL issue.

Today I tried opening a log file and simply couldn't get it to come up clean. I didn't want to reboot as I wanted to find why the problem was happening. In true Windows form, I started killing background processes for anything not required and attempted to open the log file after each one. Once I was left with the required services, I started on the running applications. Shutting down each and trying the log file.

When I shutdown VNCviewer, the log file opened clean. When I started VNCviewer, it was corrupt. I tried this 10 times, each time alternating between VNCviewer running and shut down. Every time it was running, I had corrupt data; every time it was shut down, I had clean data. ( See attached images ).

I think this is pretty clear cut in this case. For me, VNCviewer is probably loading a shared DLL or driver that ScanTool is picking up on. The problem is that the DLL or driver is not the right version for ScanTool. This causes ScanTool to behave incorrectly and display the data in an incorrect manner.

So, if you are getting the "Display full of notes" error, try shutting down the other running applications ( this includes all the back ground tasks that you may see in the right hand side of the start bar, bottom right of the screen ). Do them one at a time to see which application is causing the conflict.

Finally, is there anything I can do to find out where the actual driver / DLL / shared memory conflict may be?

Simon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B_screen_02.jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	192.1 KB 
ID:	3155   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B_screen_03.jpg 
Views:	280 
Size:	189.5 KB 
ID:	3157  

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

What is VNCViewer?
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

VNCViewer from http://www.realvnc.com It's a utility that allows remote desktop like connections to many different operation systems. For example, I run X-Desktops on Linux / Unix servers using VNCserver, then connect to the desktop from mu laptop using the viewer.

I had the issue again this afternoon, when VNCviewer was not running. This time closing Pidgin ( http://www.pidgin.im, an open-source instant message client ) brought up a clean log file.

I'll keep testing away.....

Funny you say that Simon

I use a VNC program to control the dyno PC from my laptop i tune with in the car . i will try the old two keyboards again and see if the glich's goes away

Nokia software updated last week and found after that my CPU was running at 100% removal of nokia fixed up lots of me scan problems

Geoff