Thread: Real Time tuning w/o Road Runner?

Default Real Time tuning w/o Road Runner?

Is there a function that allows real time tuning without using the Road Runner? Even if it is a copy and paste type deal, is there any functiont that allows real time tuning.

Also does anyone know if Road Runner supports LS1/6 Vette's, and if/when it will support LS2/3, etc. stuff.

TIA

Welcome to the forum Treed ya.

Real time tuning with EFILive is accomplished by utilizing the Road Runner. Temporary changes can be implemented by means of the scan tools bidirectional controls (BiDi).

The road runner is not engine specific, rather PCM specific. I do believe there is an RR for evey LS1/6 equiped vette/fbody/truck. I don't know about LS2/3 support though.

So you can make temporary changes via the scantool, but you can't do any cut and paste real time tuning?
    Last edited by Treed ya; May 1st, 2008 at 11:29 AM.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Treed ya View Post
    So you can make temporary changes via the scantool, but you can't do any cut and paste real time tuning?
    Precisely, the BiDi controls are more for fine tuning things (like setting idle speed on the fly so your cammed car can idle) or for holding the trans in a particular gear for dyno pulls, etc. However, whatever changes you make via BiDi are lost the second you click disconnect. You need to update your tune file and reflash it for the changes to apply.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

You need a Road Runner for real time tunning. Once you go the RR path, you can cut/paste, manualy change, or RTACS any table you like.

RTACS is where it's at. This is the auto-tune feature. I spent over a year chasing some fine drivability details. Picked up an RR, set up an RTACS session, drove for 15 minutes and haven't touched my tune in over a year now. Awesome stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by TAQuickness View Post
    You need a Road Runner for real time tunning. Once you go the RR path, you can cut/paste, manualy change, or RTACS any table you like.

RTACS is where it's at. This is the auto-tune feature. I spent over a year chasing some fine drivability details. Picked up an RR, set up an RTACS session, drove for 15 minutes and haven't touched my tune in over a year now. Awesome stuff!

Sounds like a real time saver. It seems a lot of people always have some slight cold start, or part throttle issue that they are "working on."

Sounds like a real time saver. It seems a lot of people always have some slight cold start, or part throttle issue that they are "working on."
    Once you have a road runner you cant go back. 12 sec full flashes, real time changes (i mean REAL time, type it and its applied), etc

For example cam tuning, especially idle. 234 232 112lsa cam i dialed in the idle and AFRs in 5 mins flat and it was the biggest cam i had even done and lowest LSA (probably small for you US guys). You can actually go by "feel" if you want with the idle too. But knowing the basics certainly makes it easier and faster.

Lifetime Member

I just installed the RoadRunner in my 2002 Z06. I flashed the RR first, then carefully removed the old PCM and installed the RR. If you need help or instructs, just email. I had absolutely ZERO problem on startup.
    The only odd occurence was the gas warning was on and showed LOW and the MPG was 0.00. As soon as I drove a few miles, it all updated.

I have only had it in a few days, but it seems to work well and basically transparent to the car.
    07 Silverado DMax Classic
    02 Z06 LS3 416, 805rwhp, TFS245, Wiseco, Callies Crank/Rods, Iskendarian Lifters, Crower Rockers, FAST102/90, ATI Damper, 1-7/8 Kook's LT, QkTime Shield,Tolle-Fab 8pt
    Old Engine: 1/4mile = 9.6/146 New Engine:?

EFI Live Tune/Scan v7.5.27, EFI Live Scan and Tune v8.2.23, build 276, BootBlock 2.07.06, FirmWare 2.07.52, 512K RoadRunner (12.14.R), Innovate Serial LC2x2

COS5/12212156 For 2002 Z06 Manual Vette