Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help! Short log included.

thanks joe was just looking at that same thing from gearchatter. will run test in the morning and let you know thanks again.

went through the troubleshooting steps and its either a bent reluctor wheel :( or they gave me a bad crank sensor. New crank sensor will be in tomorrow. Fingers crossed. Reluctor wheel seems fine as i rotated the engine by hand and looked in the hole with a mirror. IDK thanks again joe for the help will let you know.

alright got new crank sensor put it in. still nothing rechecked voltage. 12 from ignition source, solid ground, but still on .4 volts while cranking from the signal. It is the same at the connector and the pcm. That is way to low should be 4 to 6 volts. Bad pcm. Will replace and let you know lol.

Default Did you measure AC volts...?

Measure AC volts at the crank sensor signal wrt ground ref with connector disconnected (while cranking)...
    if you see less than 2V (or less than 4V) then reluctor and/or sensor is not working;

if you do see the right voltage, then reconnect connector, and measure again...
    if you don't see the right voltage, disconnect the PCM and measure the voltage again...
    if you don't see the right voltage then the wiring is shorted, else the PCM is shorted.

Be sure to measure the AC volts between dk blu/wht "signal" and yel/bla "ground ref".

Quote Originally Posted by joecar in post #6
    I assume you took all measurements wrt engine ground (and while cranking)...?

dk blu/wht = signal -> 0.2V is too low (did you select V AC on the DMM)...?

lt grn = voltage reference (thru PCM) -> 11.5V is ok.

yel/bla = ground reference (thru PCM) -> 0.4V is maybe ok.

Wow pulled the o2, ckp sensor, harness up through the top. Unwrapped the loom and found three wires inserted in the ckp sensor. All soldering was corroded, massive balls of electrical tape and was 16 gauge wire. For a car with 34000 miles the previous owner must have been a complete moron. Properly fix the wires aka solder, heat shink, ect. Plugged everything back in and fire right up. What a bitch. Thanks again Joe input has been invaluable. Should have just unwrapped the loom to start.

Quote Originally Posted by kistlerjm9 View Post
    Wow pulled the o2, ckp sensor, harness up through the top. Unwrapped the loom and found three wires inserted in the ckp sensor. All soldering was corroded, massive balls of electrical tape and was 16 gauge wire. For a car with 34000 miles the previous owner must have been a complete moron. Properly fix the wires aka solder, heat shink, ect. Plugged everything back in and fire right up. What a bitch. Thanks again Joe input has been invaluable. Should have just unwrapped the loom to start.
    He must have used acid core solder...

Now it runs, cool, good job...

yeah thats exactly what it was, thanks again man. should have known something was a miss when i was getting .4 volts on a ground. im an idiot as well.

Yes, I should have seen that also...

Anything above 0.1V on a ground circuit is not acceptable.

well if youre ever in western pa, lmk, i owe you a few beers.

Ok, thanks...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12