Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: EFI live = Incomplete tuning package!!!!

Welcome to the forum NASABlue.

As with anything new, or new to you, there will be a learning curve associated with it. In this case, you are faced with learning to tune and learning to use the tools to tune. Getting started can be quite overwhelming at times.

Rather than "when all else fails, RTFM", I would highly recommend you make the time to read thru the Scan and Tune tool manuals and tutorials to help you become more familiar with your new tools. Interactive tutorials are available at www.efilive.com.

I would also suggest that as you work your way thru becoming familiar with your tools that you post and search the forum for any questions you may have. There are litterally hundreds of folks here that are more than willing to help you along the way. All that anyone asks of you is to be curtious and when the time is right, help the next guy along.

Just remember, TAKE YOUR TIME, read, ask questions, read, ask questions, read, ask questions, take a baby step, then read, and ask more questions.

They didn't create EFI over night and no one ever learned to tune overnight.

Thanks for the kind words guys.....

I know how I sound, I'm very aware of the 8 yr old temper tantrum syndrome, but we're here talking aren't we?

I want to learn this badly, but no one presented the other side of the coin when I was looking to purchase efi live and I could have never understood the frustration associated with completing the head cam clutch and not being able to drive it. No one said expect to take 4 times as long tuning the car as installing the parts. That doesn't even make sense.

I'm the first to try to help and hopefully I will be in your shose helping someone in my shoes over time. But you guys have to understand how it feels to have a friend (who one upped me by getting a z06 to my 97) goto a shop and get headers vararam cornorweight and tune in one day after he found out what I was doing then want to come over to ask why my 97 isn't running yet and to listen to how good his sounds........ Especially when I was sold on EFI live as a plug an chug solution. Just like the headers that "drop right in".

I don't expect it all to be "given" to me and that's why I didn't ask for help 3 weeks ago, because I was trying to read everything, but the more I read, the more that unravled that I needed and didn't know.

My car is a 97 mn6, headers, BBK intake& 80 mm tb, k&N FIRPK, lingenfelter edlebrock heads, 228/232 cam on a 111 +2, lg pro catless, asp pulley, no ac, light weight twin disc clutch and flywheel.

I just want to be able to drive it a couple of miles after all this work and 2 monts of living under the car in my spare time. It'll just lite my fire a little again..... to give me a little more patience.

what put me over the top was installing the wo2 and bolting the exhaust all back up and then finding out I have to take it all back out to calibrate it and apparently make a heat shield.

I was OK up untill this point, but I just don't have it in me to take it all apart again. I havn't run the car in 2 weeks and I had the x pipe off for 48 hrs so I dont think the calibration will be too off, but what a PITA. It's almost as bad as pinching the oil pump o ring.

You don't have to take it all apart to do the free air calibration. Per the LC1 (at lease the version I have) if you let the car sit overnight, the exhuast pipes should be purged enough to perform the free air with out removing the sensor.

Personally, I let my bird sit for 24 hours, then perform the free air while the sensor is in the pipe.

On the bright side, think of all the $$$ you saved on labor

Lifetime Member

Welcome NASABlue, I cant help you tune your car as Ive never dealt with a LSx engine before. However I have put in over 2 years of testing and still dont have my tune nailed down properly. Most of that is that I had school and everything to deal with, plus EFILive was still making new tables for my engine. That said, Im buying a WBO2 here in a few days/weeks and this summer I will finally get my engine dialed in properly. I know the feeling of "the more you read the more confused you get", heck I dont even know how to mess with some parts of my tune yet.

Not to try and aggravate you further, but you know the 97 PCMs are really limited in their tuning ability. 99+ LS1 PCMs are much better and you can run a Custom Operating System as well. I wouldnt worry about it now, get your ride running first then do a PCM swap maybe in like December.

Good luck man, if you need help let me/us know and we can try to point you in the right direction!
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

You read a bunch of stuff... then that 's good, and like you said, we're talking.

You don't really need a heat shield for the LC-1, and you could let the car sit overnite and do the free air cal in the morning, or as TAQ said 24 hours; wet/shop vac may help to purge out the exhaust (apply the vac to one exhaust tip while plugging the other tips with rags).

LC-1 can be a bit frustrating to get sorted out, but once you get it grounded properly and working, AutoVE or AutoMAF tuning should go pretty good.

Cheers,
    Joe

Thanks for the heads up on the 97 pcm, I'm aware of it's limitations, that's why I dont get why I cant figure it out I'm apparently limited too, we should get along like pees and carrots.......

If I cant figure out the tuning on a limited one I'll really be screwed on the complex one...... hell lets be honest I keep screwing up the install.....

I just spoke w/ my friend w/ the z06, now w/ american racing headers, ported t/b and vararam.....

He apparently has a lingenfelter computer that has extra ram or memory and recalculates variables at a much higher rate and apparently a VERY well know tuner only lost hp vs it and then proceeded to copy it for his base tune.

...He is driving back from NJ now and was telling me he thinks he can chirp 4th........

Guess I have to do work.....

Thanks again for the encouragement!

Do it for you. The results are much more rewarding.

awesome!

I had the whole rear exhaust off for 48 hrs. All the condensation dripped out (all over me) when I first disassembled it.

With the heat of the weld on the pipe drawing fresh air in and up through the bung as it cooled (see thermodynamics) while it was off the car and since it sat for 24 hrs after this, I'm comfortable w/ calibrating it as is

To know I have don't have to f withthe lg pros again is awesome. THey are great headers but there's a compromise for those long primaries.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast