Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Worth the upgrade?

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    185

    Default Worth the upgrade?

    I have V1 and saw the upgrade link to upgrade to V2. At $549.00 for the upgrade (after sept 18) and my initial purchase price I think $649.00? That puts me over a thousand dollars, I should have just waited I guess. Other than holding more licenses is there enough of a difference to warrant paying again?
    I don't really find the price difference fair between the dates, as I purchased older software that was being phased out, buying old stock helped EFIlive, I don't feel I should have to pay more than other people that got essentially "new" software. Just my .02
    98 WS6, M6, 02 PCM, CO3, SD 2 Bar tune, 416 D1SC Procharger, 73# Injectors, Patriot Lq9 heads, 232 int 240 exh. Lift .595 int .608 exh 115.. header, Intake, AEM WB.

  2. #2
    Joe (Moderator) joecar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    27,752

    Default

    V1 is smaller, simpler/easier to use -> good for most people (90% of population).
    V2 has an LCD, but is more complex -> good for DIY die-hards who thrive on "challenges" (remaining 10% of population).

    V2 is still being developed; V1 has been stable forever.

    V1 is still a current product.

    The new software does run on V1.

    On what date did you buy your V1...?

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    185

    Default

    I don't remember the exact date, must have been a year ago now, I would also need to look up the amount. I do remember "close out, limited to what's left" Kind of felt like they were being phased in favor of V2 and I was purchasing what was left at a discount.
    98 WS6, M6, 02 PCM, CO3, SD 2 Bar tune, 416 D1SC Procharger, 73# Injectors, Patriot Lq9 heads, 232 int 240 exh. Lift .595 int .608 exh 115.. header, Intake, AEM WB.

  4. #4
    Lifetime Member Cougar281's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    820

    Default

    I don't think the V1 will be supported in the upcoming V8 software (Don't know the planned release date, but I know it's in the works). The V1 is limited to VPW, so if you end up with a newer vehicle, like an LBZ or LMM Duramax, or something LS2 powered, you'd need the V2 as it supports CAN/GMLAN. If you're going to only tune your LS1 powered WS6, then you really don't need to upgrade, unless you want the expanded black box logging abilities. and standalone read/flash.

  5. #5
    EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    9,119

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zapp168 View Post
    I have V1 and saw the upgrade link to upgrade to V2. At $549.00 for the upgrade (after sept 18) and my initial purchase price I think $649.00? That puts me over a thousand dollars, I should have just waited I guess. Other than holding more licenses is there enough of a difference to warrant paying again?
    I don't really find the price difference fair between the dates, as I purchased older software that was being phased out, buying old stock helped EFIlive, I don't feel I should have to pay more than other people that got essentially "new" software. Just my .02
    I'm pretty sure the upgrade price to go from what you have to V2 is not as high as $549. Let me check...

    Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

  6. #6
    EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    9,119

    Default

    If you paid $649 for your V1, then your upgrade price is only $399.
    If you paid $549 for your V1, then your upgrade price is $549.

    The date: 18-Sep-2006 is the date that the price dropped from $749 to $549. If you were sold a V1 at the higher price after 18-Sep-2006 then of course we will upgrade you for the lower price.

    In either case you get to keep your FlashScan V1 Scan and Tune Tool.

    When its all done and dusted, someone who buys V1 for $649 and then upgrades to V2 for $399 has spent $1048. And someone who buys V1 for $549 and then upgrades to V2 for $549 has spent $1098. In both case you end up with the following:
    - V1 Scan Tool and Tune Tool* (worth $549 at current price)
    - V2 Scan and Tune (worth $749)
    - Total value: $1298.

    * Once you upgrade to V2, V1 Scan and Tune Tool can no longer have any licenses added to it. however, it can still be used to scan any vehicle and it can continue to tune all vehicles to which it has already been licensed.

    You can even copy the licenses from your V1 to your V2 and tune all the vehicles that are licensed to your V1 cable with your V2 cable as well. Plus you get two new licenses with the V2 unit (worth $198) on top of any licenses (used or unused) that you transfered from your V1.

    Plus if you've tuned any Allison transmissions on your V1, when you transfer those licenses to V2, those transmission licenses are reclaimed and made "available" to be used for any other vehicle/trans combination again.

    I think it is a really generous upgrade offer.

    Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    185

    Default

    Paul,
    I think I will be sticking with my V1.
    Why is the update price $50.00 higher after 9/18/06? If I paid $100.00 less, then why is my upgrade price $150.00 more. If the $649.00 people get the upgrade for $399.00 then shouldn't the $549.00 people get the upgrade for $499.00?
    I guess my thinking is if you ran out and bought a plasma TV when they came out and paid $5000.00 then later the price drops to $3000.00 for that same TV, when you go to the store to upgrade to the latest Hi-def plasma TV you don't get a further discount because you paid more initially. You got the latest cutting edge product when it came out, you got all the benifits and the issues that come with such a purchase, you got a head start on the competition, you also got to deal with the bugs, and the fact that enivitably it depreciates. Everyone should pay $399!
    As for keeping the "V1 Scan Tool and Tune Tool* (worth $549 at current price)" it will no longer be worth $549.00 As you cannot add any licenses to it, it is not 100% functional. Why not transfer the licenses to V2 leave V1 100% so I could sell it as used? If V2 is better why would I need my V1, but taking away the licensing it makes your supposed $549 dollar value actually worth $249 as a scan tool. Not saying your deal is not adequate, but I would not call it generous. Nothing personal, I enjoy dealing with you and your staff, you have been helpful many times. I will get off my soap box now I have to go order some licenses....
    Jim
    98 WS6, M6, 02 PCM, CO3, SD 2 Bar tune, 416 D1SC Procharger, 73# Injectors, Patriot Lq9 heads, 232 int 240 exh. Lift .595 int .608 exh 115.. header, Intake, AEM WB.

  8. #8
    EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    9,119

    Default

    I agree that if you wanted to resell V1, then it has less resale value.

    However, usually "upgrades/trade-ins" require that you surrender the item being upgraded or traded in favor of the newer/better item. In that case the upgraded item (i.e. FlashScan V1) would have zero resale value because you don't have it to resell.

    We went one better and let you keep the V1 even though technically it should have been returned to EFILive. The reason we did that was twofold:
    1. The shipping costs to ship the V1's back to EFILive were too high to expect customers to return their V1s.
    2. We had no use for thousands of V1 devices. We would prefer that they stay with the customer so that the customer may derive some benefit from them - if only as a spare scan tool.

    If you want to resell the V1 with the ability to have licenses added in future, then you can buy FlashScan V2 outright and retain full functionality of the V1.

    I can't recall exactly why the $50 price difference exists. I think it came about when we merged the two different (form Personal or from Commercial) upgrades to just from Commercial.

    The upgrade from Personal was $50 more than the upgrade from Commercial, but commercial customers got an extra VIN license worth $99 to cover the extra $50. I'm not 100% sure that was exactly what happened but it was something like that.

    Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    185

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
    If you want to resell the V1 with the ability to have licenses added in future, then you can buy FlashScan V2 outright and retain full functionality of the V1.

    This is the option that makes most sense, however losing $900.00 in licenses makes this a non option. I am effectivly "locked" into your update plan, or stick with what I have. For $399 I would upgrade, but not for $549. It serves me for now.....

    No big deal.
    Thanks,
    Jim
    98 WS6, M6, 02 PCM, CO3, SD 2 Bar tune, 416 D1SC Procharger, 73# Injectors, Patriot Lq9 heads, 232 int 240 exh. Lift .595 int .608 exh 115.. header, Intake, AEM WB.

  10. #10
    EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    9,119

    Default

    To be perfectly honest, I had not considered that before.

    I think we should offer an option to allow a V2 to be purchased outright and still allow the licenses to be transferred from the V1 device to the new V2 device.

    That way the V1 would retain full functionality and could be re-sold as a fully functional unit.

    Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Similar Threads

  1. Upgrade to 7.5.1 worth it for LS1?
    By RevGTO in forum Gen III V8 Specific
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: October 10th, 2007, 11:57 AM
  2. Is this Motron 60 information worth anything?
    By Redline Motorsports in forum Gen III V8 Specific
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: September 2nd, 2007, 04:31 AM
  3. Anyone know what 1kpa is worth at WOT?
    By ringram in forum General (Petrol, Gas, Ethanol)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: January 29th, 2007, 06:16 AM
  4. Tuning a stock engine...Worth it?
    By CGTMS in forum General (Petrol, Gas, Ethanol)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: December 20th, 2006, 10:21 AM
  5. Is SD worth it without the Custom OS?
    By FstBlkZ28 in forum General (Petrol, Gas, Ethanol)
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: August 6th, 2006, 03:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •