Thread: AutoVE, but now too lean?

Default AutoVE, but now too lean?

I setup and ran numberous logs using a calibrated LC1. Did the copy and paste and each time it went more lean. Idle is the worst and is now running 19:1! Why would it keep getting more lean? Why is it affecting idle (I thought it was other charts)?

Brian

Were you monitoring via the analogue or the serial signal from the LC1 ? If you were using the analogue signal, it probably has an earth offset, making it read slightly rich all the time. Repeated cycles of logging and adjusting will push your AFR's leaner each time.

The best option is to get the serial signal working with your V1 / V2 unit so you don't have the earth offset problem. If you were using the serial signal, then either your LC1 is out of calibration, or you may be doing something wrong with your VE alterations.

First step would be to start again with the original VE map so you are at a known state.

Simon.

The serial input from the LC1 or other wide band units can only communicate with the V2. If you don't have a V2, maybe you can use the same ground as the V1 to keep the analog offset to a minimum.
    Al
    "Trash that carb and get Injected!"

I am using V2, but I am not sure about wether I am using serial or analoug logging for it. I guess I have even more research to do. Thanks for the thoughts I'll check it out.

If you have a guage attached to the lc-1 you can compare its reading to what is being logged in efilive. Also not filtering out the transients can skew your data & cause the same problems.
    The Tremor at AIR

To test your LC-1:

enable closed loop, and when the PCM goes into CL (as indicated by the FUELSYS A/B pids) your wideband AFR should show stoichiometric.

Welcome to the forum Chevy Freak!

If I understood your original post correctly, you have applied the logged data to your VE table multiple times and each time resulted in a leaner condition.

It's possible the LC1 reading is the culprit, however, I'd ask if you could verify that your tune is set up exactly as described in the AutoVE tutorial.

Likewise, it's very important to follow the tutorial step-by-step. For instance, log, apply, skip the flash, log, apply, flash could easily result in an over adjustment causing the types readings you are seeing.

Quote Originally Posted by TAQuickness View Post
    Likewise, it's very important to follow the tutorial step-by-step. For instance, log, apply, skip the flash, log, apply, flash could easily result in an over adjustment causing the types readings you are seeing.
    Doh! I have been logging on my way to work and then applying it and flashing. Then repeating for the drive home.

Although, I put my old tune back in today and I still ran lean at idle. It never did that before. So, now I am thinking I have an injector or fuel pump screwing up. I tried using the injector test with EFI, but everytime I do it the system flags different injectors as being the weakest. I have an Autometer FP transmitter, but I have to order the adapter before I can connect it. Is there another way to check/log injectors for faults?