Thread: Need a little help

Default Need a little help

Ok guys I need a little help with my tune. It's a stock motor(LT's & WB02 going in next weekend) so i have been tuning with LTFT & STFT. I know this is the long way but that will change soon. I am trying to tune for a strong mid range spend most of my time in the twisties so I want it to pull hard out of the corners. Problem I am having is KR in the 4800 ~ 6000 RPM @ .72 ~ .84 CYLAIR and also 2400 ~ 3200 @ .56 ~ .68. I keep pulling timing from these areas and have tried the stock spark map and it still persists. It is not false knock because I can actually hear it.

Any help or ideas would be great.

Thankx
    Nick M.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by nm2769 View Post
    Ok guys I need a little help with my tune. It's a stock motor(LT's & WB02 going in next weekend) so i have been tuning with LTFT & STFT. I know this is the long way but that will change soon. I am trying to tune for a strong mid range spend most of my time in the twisties so I want it to pull hard out of the corners. Problem I am having is KR in the 4800 ~ 6000 RPM @ .72 ~ .84 CYLAIR and also 2400 ~ 3200 @ .56 ~ .68. I keep pulling timing from these areas and have tried the stock spark map and it still persists. It is not false knock because I can actually hear it.

Any help or ideas would be great.

Thankx
    Nick M.
    Too much timing - you don't need to bump it up more than 2~3 degrees. You can't tune timing by kr, you need a dyno. I updated your VE and your H.O. spark table. You'll have some room to lean out the AFR, but should wait until the WB is up and running.

Don't get too focused on the tune though. A tune is not a miracle maker - especially on a stock internals car. Get the AFR dialed in to ~12.8 and find what timing it likes best on a dyno. Just be careful around peak torque, which is why I didn't really bump the timing up there. A little before and after should be ok though.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by SSpdDmon View Post
    Too much timing - you don't need to bump it up more than 2~3 degrees. You can't tune timing by kr, you need a dyno. I updated your VE and your H.O. spark table. You'll have some room to lean out the AFR, but should wait until the WB is up and running.

Don't get too focused on the tune though. A tune is not a miracle maker - especially on a stock internals car. Get the AFR dialed in to ~12.8 and find what timing it likes best on a dyno. Just be careful around peak torque, which is why I didn't really bump the timing up there. A little before and after should be ok though.
    Thanks for the input. I know with stock internals the gains are not much. I am just trying to get a better grip on tuning before the LT's go in next weekend and next month the cam and I know with these there is tuning to be done. I know the spark was aggressive but man comes out of the corners hard. I'll take you recommendation on this and back off. I do have a question about the VE map with the setting I have using LTFT to adjust, my logs are -2 ~ 0. If I run your VE map wont the LTFT be positive? I trust your recommendation and will give it a go. Thankx again.

Quote Originally Posted by nm2769 View Post
    Thanks for the input. I know with stock internals the gains are not much. I am just trying to get a better grip on tuning before the LT's go in next weekend and next month the cam and I know with these there is tuning to be done. I know the spark was aggressive but man comes out of the corners hard. I'll take you recommendation on this and back off. I do have a question about the VE map with the setting I have using LTFT to adjust, my logs are -2 ~ 0. If I run your VE map wont the LTFT be positive? I trust your recommendation and will give it a go. Thankx again.
    The VE table I gave you was off of my '02 A4 when it had headers on it already. I'm concerned the NBO2's have you tuning it a little rich. The WBO2 will reveal the truth.