Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cant completely disable VATS in 01 holden SS?

Default cant completely disable VATS in 01 holden SS?

Hey guys,
    Im installing an alarm system into a VX holden commodore and I am having a problem with the remote start due to VATS. I have set all anti-theft values to none, which has only half worked.... Now the car starts without the key head, but i need to press unlock on the key head first.....?

I cant figure it out, if I enable VATS then the car only starts with the head attached.......???

Any ideas?

Sorry forgot to addm I'm running COS3 if that makes any difference?

I am not sure about the Holden's but does GM offer a kit for this along with a new remote? It works with all of the factory components and won't cause other issues.
    Al
    "Trash that carb and get Injected!"

The problem you have is the BCM still requires "disarming", it has control over the starter motor relay. The only way around that I can see is to rewire the starting circuit so it doesn't use the BCM.
    Same sort of thing if you were doing a conversion of that motor into a different car.
    Dave.

Hi All,
    After looking at it further it is definately something to do with the tune/software.... Then start relay is grounded through a ecu collector, when the ecu recieves the class2 data for unlock then the start relay is grounded out which allows crank.

I tested starting the car with G1201 set to Class 2 and none and the car starts both times ony if the car is unlocked with the remote..... Which leads me to believe that it is not functional (if it was the bcm then it shouldnt stat at all when set to class2).

Any ideas?

I can just ground out the relay, but I dont believe that I sould have to.... And im not sure if it will effect anything (ie is this how the ecu knows when its cranking or not?)

sorry forgot to post the tune.
    Attached Files Attached Files

The starter relay is not driven by the PCM, rather the PIM, the PIM allows the starter realy to engage when the BCM has passed the key unlock, it has nothing to do with the PCM.

Cheers,
    Ross
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Thank you for the clarification, all the schematics I could find had the relay grounding out to the PCM at WD5 (solid grey), I will rip the dash apart and check.

Out of interest, if it is the PIM that controlls the starter relay/immobiliser, why is G1201 inlcuded in the tune config if it cannot control it? No matter what option I set it to it does not do anything (and it specifically mentions holden)? I would have thought when set to class 2 it should stop the car from starting without the key head being read and not start at all when set to PWM?

Not trying to be a smart-arse, just want to make sure that all the info is available for the next person that attempts something similar...

It's a funny system Holden used with the PIM.

The PCM will just cut injection, so with a mismatched VATS code (PCM and PIM different) the engine will run for 1/2 second then stop. This is independent of the key <> BCM codes.

It does have a failsafe mode though where you get a couple of starts from memory if communications is lost between the PCM and PIM. But, if the PCM see's the no start message from the PIM then it won't run.

FYI, the PIM is located in the left hand kick panel.

Cheers,
    Ross
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Ross u da man! Cheers for that, seems holden just slapped it together without putting alot of thought into it

Any ideas if im going to cause any dramas by grounding the starter relay out (bypassing the PIM)?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast