Thread: Rookie having trouble scanning PIDs with BB update

Default Rookie having trouble scanning PIDs with BB update

Hi all,

I just purchased EFI live scanning only. It arrived yesterday and I updated it to take advantage of the BB logging as that is how it will be regularly used. After finally taking it out to the truck ('08 Yukon Denali w/ E38 PCM / T43 6L80) I was pleased to find that the handheld device was able to display several PIDs live which are of interest to us: throttle position, current gear, trans. input and output speed, torque converter slip, etc. But when I hooked up the laptop with the EFI live scan tool I was unable to validate any of these transmission related PIDs, only output speed and transfer case ratio were available.

Also, I couldn't figure out how to get live data to show up under the "data" tab for both PCM and TCM PIDs at the same time, how is this done? I had to connect to the T43 controller to get both available trans. PIDs to display. The handheld device seems to be able to read from both controllers simultaneously, I have to imagine the software can?

Thanks,
    Josh

Josh, welcome...

I pm'd Tech Support.

Thanks, Joe!

Is it typically best to PM tech support or ask for help on the message board first?

Ask on the forum first, there may be other members who have run into the same problem and have the solution.

I know which problems have been seen and solved, so I can link to an existing solution or make TS aware.

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Josh61513 View Post
    But when I hooked up the laptop with the EFI live scan tool I was unable to validate any of these transmission related PIDs, only output speed and transfer case ratio were available.
    Hi Josh,
    Its just bad timing. Not all the features for Black Box Logging are in place yet. One of those features is that the BBL standalone option has had PIDs defined for it that are not in the current EFILive V7 software. That means you can't see them in the V7 software - yet. We will be adding them as soon as we can.

Also, I couldn't figure out how to get live data to show up under the "data" tab for both PCM and TCM PIDs at the same time, how is this done? I had to connect to the T43 controller to get both available trans. PIDs to display. The handheld device seems to be able to read from both controllers simultaneously, I have to imagine the software can?
    The version 7 software was designed to log only one controller at a time. After many requests to allow logging for multiple controllers we decided to add that feature into the version 8 software (not released yet). Because the FlashScan Black Box Logging firmware is designed to work with the EFILive V8 software, it supports logging multiple controllers simultaneously.

Both those issue will be resolved before the Black Box Logging beta software is officially released.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Thanks for the response Paul.

That leaves me with two questions:

First, is there an ETA for the version 8 release? For how we intend to use this hardware/software package (lots of data acquisition from vehicle testing related to transmission component prototype validation) it sounds like version 7 doesn't bring us much value, but 8 will do exactly what we need.

Secondly, since the BB logger has the capability to record the data, is it possible to use version 7 to view data taken from the TCM & ECM concurrently? Or view it in a .CSV format or something else which can be imported into excel?

Thanks,
    Josh
    Last edited by Josh61513; May 27th, 2008 at 04:20 AM.

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

First, is there an ETA for the version 8 release?
    There is no official date for the release of version 8.

Secondly, since the BB logger has the capability to record the data, is it possible to use version 7 to view data taken from the TCM & ECM concurrently?
    The standalone logging feature creates *.efi files on the SD card in your FlashScan device. The *.efi files that it creates can be copied to the PC and opened/viewed using EFILive V7.5.4 or later.
    There are PID names that are different between the BB Logging and V7 software. The V7 software attempts to rename the affected PIDs when the *.efi file is loaded. A few _DMA PIDs do not get renamed properly. That problem is being fixed for the next update.

You need to use the program:
    \Program Files\EFILive\V8\EFILive_Explorer.exe to copy files to/from the SD card in FlashScan.
    Or if your PC has an SD Card reader you can access the files on the SD card directly.

Or view it in a .CSV format or something else which can be imported into excel?
    Once the *.efi file is loaded into the V7 software, you can select the export option to export selected data to *.csv files that can be opened directly with Excel.

Regards
    Paul
    Last edited by Blacky; May 27th, 2008 at 07:57 AM.
    Before asking for help, please read this.