Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cam too big

take Oztrack up on his offer,
    Will only cost your mate a vin licience on your cable and you also stand to learn alot about cam tuneing
    Back yard boost
    347+ T76 = 770 rwhp 10.96 @ 135 mph

I appreciate the offer, but I love a good challenge
    It's all good until it goes "Bang"

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by limited cv8r View Post
    tuner that put it in had 4 goes at tuning it and gave up. At the moment he only has an extra 20hp on me unopened.
    Common problem I see every day , car can be nmade to idle and drive properly BUT it will always be down on midrange , from 6500rpm it will be stronger than a mild cam but it would need all the componentary matched to be effective from 6-7k where it will make its power.

It will make less power than a stocker up to the 6000 rpm point so not surprisong your bolt on car nearly eats it

Poor matching of components just makes a dog no matter how you try to look at it.

Too true. This is what I need to get him to understand. A large cam only is not the best option for his setup, either smaller cam or the goodies needed to compliment the cam he has.

Had the same thing myself a couple of weeks ago fitted a cam to a vyls1 and it idled like a prostocker but made15hp over stock.far less midrange .Was pulling 90kpa at wot at 5000rpm.Had me stumped as wasnt supposed to be a big cam.Tried in vane to tune it. Gave up pulled the cam and replaced it with the SAME cam part number.Fired it up nice cammy idle and 35more hp after some investigating the cam was incorrectly ground and was never gunna fly on a stock ls1. Right combo of parts is everything.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by shane View Post
    Had the same thing myself a couple of weeks ago fitted a cam to a vyls1 and it idled like a prostocker but made15hp over stock.far less midrange .Was pulling 90kpa at wot at 5000rpm.Had me stumped as wasnt supposed to be a big cam.Tried in vane to tune it. Gave up pulled the cam and replaced it with the SAME cam part number.Fired it up nice cammy idle and 35more hp after some investigating the cam was incorrectly ground and was never gunna fly on a stock ls1. Right combo of parts is everything.
    Also correctly fitted is very important to the process , what you describe above is just wacking a cam in and installing dot to dot which rarely works , any cam that is fitted needs to be dialed in with a degree wheel , the offset on the cam would have been discovered at that stage.

Well, I've just managed to piss my mate off even more than he was. Managed to squeeze some more HP out of the car, his 20hp advantage has just turned into a 6hp deficite.

Him-
    Me-
    Dyno run attached
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scan0001.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	233.4 KB 
ID:	3503  
    Last edited by limited cv8r; June 16th, 2008 at 02:21 AM.

His AFR is alot scary...

The scariest part is he paid for this tune. You have to wonder what else is out there from this tuner.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by limited cv8r View Post
    The scariest part is he paid for this tune. You have to wonder what else is out there from this tuner.
    We see similar things every day , the amount of people who are getting ripped by wanabe tuners is unbelievable.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12