Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: hydrogen

Lifetime Member

Default hydrogen

has anyone tryed a hydrogen generator yet. looks to good to be true but maybe with a tune and all the bells and wisels it may work.people are making hydrogen generators and putting them on cars claming big milage gaines. looks like with 02 tricking it alows you to lean out afr because the hydrogen can burn leaner.has anyone tryed it yet

I have some experience with this and can say that it didn't work for us. I was tasked with getting the vehicle to pass the FTP 505 test. We were able to make some improvements, but after we trimmed the proper amount of carbon out of the base AF we found that we were lacking a reserve of Hydrogen for the hard load pull in the middle of the test resulting in major Nox!

o2 sensor switch points were manipulated in order to offset the Hydrogen. Without this, the vehicle actually gets worse mileage on a narrow band feedback system since the Hydrogen makes it look like the AF is lean!

Regards,
    Scott Brown

Lifetime Member

i was thinking of trying to use it only for idle and low speed crusing that makes sence though its funny how many people clame it works one guy says his avalanch went from 14 to 34 miles to gallion boy wouldn't that be nice. i think a stick shift could be best with some bells and whisles to kick up the hydrogen perduction on decell.did you make your own generator ? i did one with a friend in couple hours it make 5 gallions in hour of hydrogen gas @24 amps.i am thinking needs lot more because its a gas not liquid be nice to know bsfc of hydrogen in a gas state

Do you use flat DC or pulsed DC (what frequency...?)...?

Lifetime Member

i used a flat dc but i havent tested much i only have about 5 hours working on it. pulsed dc is a idea if i get to much generating would be sweet to just go off the injector relay.i realy find it hard to beleave it can be done and make 50% gaine in milage but worth trying for what little money it takes to try it

In desperate times people venture down every possible avenue to save money. This is also when con artists are most inclined to offer up the next 'great idea'. This electrolysis technique is just another attempt at a perpetual energy machine and nothing more than a gimmick to get money out of every sucker willing to part ways with it.
    The mantra 69camar.. uttered is a sign that you are a prime candidate for pickings.

...or what little money it takes to try it...

If you ever catch yourself thinking or saying this then you know that whatever decision you are about to make is probably NOT worth trying.

However everyone is welcome to do what they want so don't let my jaded opinion influence anyone's decisions.

There are more than a few SAE papers on this concept and multiple sources concluded that the energy required to produce enough Hydrogen to supplement fuel delivery is cost prohibitive. Even during low load conditions results were equal to that of a gas only closed loop lean cruse system.
    GM concluded that an HCCI engine is equally capable and doesn't require any additional systems like this Hydrogen package does.
    -Adam Chant
    Tune it or lose it!
    2007 Saturn SKY 2.4L Automatic - E67
    EFILive Tuned

Lifetime Member

you are probly right i am not buying any thing from anyone just a little home brew kit very little money spent so i ant out anything

Okay guys we put one of these we made on my Dads 2.2 S-10 that all he does is go to work.

We built it with plans off the internet and my dad bought some Map unit that plays with the MAP voltage.

He has tested it and it does seem to work. Not sure what it is doing to his engine as we have no real 02 readings or Dyno data of any sort. I have never messed with the tune at all.

The truck normally would get 19-20MPG on the hwy going to work. With the unit running and the Map dialed back he is seeing about 26-27MPG. So something is doing something. I believe he just might be leaning it out with the MAP but it was his project I just helped hook it up.

I would never use it on a truck that pulls anything for sure.

Default I've been doing it for a time now.....

Quote Originally Posted by 69camaro5speed View Post
    has anyone tryed a hydrogen generator yet. looks to good to be true but maybe with a tune and all the bells and wisels it may work.people are making hydrogen generators and putting them on cars claiming big mileage gains. looks like with 02 tricking it allows you to lean out afr because the hydrogen can burn leaner.has anyone tried it yet
    I've been doing it for a time now.....I've got a system running on my 02 Tahoe. I'm doing it for a local company and ain't supposed to say much about it yet, but it does work...

Right now I'm playing with required volumes of HHO and calibration issues....

Kinda fun...

Chuck CoW
    CoW BOOSTER! Electronic Throttle Enhancement.

- CLICK HERE NOW FOR MORE INFORMATION! -

VARARAM, EDELBROCK, AMERICAN RACING HEADERS, BAER BRAKES, BORLA, EFI Live, Magnuson,
    COMP Cams, PROCHARGER, PRO TORQUE, PHADT Racing, INNOVATORS WEST, and more.

Default How could hydrogen help

I have been looking at the idea of adding hydrogen and oxygen to motors since the 1970, but have never bothered to do it. It could only help economy and I prefer power
    This is what I conclude; Hydrogen has the ability to ignite at around 1% (vs 25% for petrol), hydrogen burns at around 100 times faster than petrol. This means that adding small volumes to the inlet of a motor that is well tuned will achieve little. Hovever-
    If you were brave enough to set up lean cruise to lean out to say 30 to 1 or more while introducing the hydrogen. I predict that the hydrogen would act as an ignition source and the motor would run in a type of stratified charge mode. Exhaust temps, including valve temps, should be very low (yes low) at this mixture level.
    As an additional benefit the motor would make less torque, so the throttle blade would need to opened further, reducing pumping losses, more economy gains.
    This is not rocket science, Diesels work like this all the time, only they rely on compression and heat to light the fire, my method relys on the easy ignition of the hydrogen.
    Cheers, Steve
    Just got off the showroom floor, now lets fix it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast