Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: hydrogen

What would be nice is to be able to generate enough hydrogen to fuel a motor without gasoline !
    Stanley Myers was suppose to have made a VW buggy run with no gasoline just hydrogen .
    Octane rating is 130 , Quote from Wikipedia : Hydrogen does not fit well into the normal definitions of octane number. It has a very high RON and a low MON , so that it has low knock resistance in practice , due to its low ignition energy (primarily due to its low dissociation energy) and extremely high flame speed. These traits are highly desirable in rocket engines, but undesirable in Otto-cycle engines. However, as a minor blending component (e.g. in a bi-fuel vehicle), hydrogen raises overall knock resistance. Flame speed is limited by the rest of the component species; hydrogen may reduce knock by contributing its high thermal conductivity .

Gil
    2005 1500 HD , Custom OS3 SD tune .
    2006 Trailblazer
    Dinosaurs and Plants gave their lives so that we may drive , long live fossil fuel .

Current technology does not seem adequate to generate enough with an onboard rig. We fooled with it-- gave up.
    Last edited by Bruce Melton; January 16th, 2009 at 11:56 AM.

2000 C5 Coupe, 6M, Callies/Mahle stroked LS7 (441), Blackwing, Halltech, LS3 intake, 90mm Shaner TB, ported L92 heads, FAST 50# inj, not too much cam, Kooks 1 7/8" headers , 3" catless mid pipes, Z TIs, track suspension, , 3:90 rear, EFI V2, LM-2, etc.
    PowrMax Performance

100 mm PowrMAF

LM-2 EFILIve package with TAQ -sLM2 V-2 serial cable> Package deals

Thumbs up Dtuner

gentlemen thank you for your input. and you are all correct in reference to orthohydrogen. It has a uncontrolable burn rate to put it mildly,, It would require a cold fusion plug. to fire on 100% HHO. the ingredient is parahydrogen .. we can control the octane ( to put it into simple terms). and we can control the flash(burn rate).throw away the text book AND THINK OUTSIDE THE BOXit's working very well. we will be holdindg an EFI Live class at my facility. in March with NIck from Duramaxtuner.com . please sign up and come attend. Thanks Rick

I have little experience with this topic (1 car) but it doesn't seem to do much. It is my opinion that the modules that they sell just trick the car into running leaner. I don't think that much H2 is actually produced. The chemistry doesn't really work out on that either, because it takes too much energy to make Hydrogen via electrolysis. Since heat is a product of reaction, that is just wasted energy. This is the reason why we don't see more H2 vehicles. It may burn clean, but it takes too much energy to produce. Also, if you were putting a bunch of explosive gas in the intake of a car, it seems that might be a bit of a risk to me. I guess to sum it all up, I have seen little impact, and didn't expect to either given all of the other practical issues. That is probably why the NHTSA has also announced that it doesn't work (along with fuel "catalysts").

random,

Welcome to the forum...

Good point, the laws of thermodynamics/conservation cannot be violated... nothing is for free.

Joe

yea that stuff works great on diesels i got a 40% gain on my duramax
    reduced my emissions from 3.5 to .08
    77% reduction

Quote Originally Posted by duramaxdiesel224 View Post
    yea that stuff works great on diesels i got a 40% gain on my duramax
    reduced my emissions from 3.5 to .08
    77% reduction
    You must have a special magic device, that the rest of the world is unaware of.
    40% gain in what?

2000 C5 Coupe, 6M, Callies/Mahle stroked LS7 (441), Blackwing, Halltech, LS3 intake, 90mm Shaner TB, ported L92 heads, FAST 50# inj, not too much cam, Kooks 1 7/8" headers , 3" catless mid pipes, Z TIs, track suspension, , 3:90 rear, EFI V2, LM-2, etc.
    PowrMax Performance

100 mm PowrMAF

Yeah have a couple of diesel guys say they got a good increase with the Hydrogen Kits , some going from 17 to 24 mpg .
    Still not a believer of this Brown Gas .
    2005 1500 HD , Custom OS3 SD tune .
    2006 Trailblazer
    Dinosaurs and Plants gave their lives so that we may drive , long live fossil fuel .

The volume of hydrogen required seems to be the issue. Takes lots of current (AMPS) to get adequate volume to make a noticeable difference, which works against brewing your own on the fly.
    Now, propane seems to do good things for diesels in terms of power and economy even considering the propane cost.
    Last edited by Bruce Melton; February 19th, 2009 at 01:10 PM.

PowrMax Performance

100 mm PowrMAF

Thumbs up

mpg sorry 40% gain check it out its a magdrive unit
    it only draws 15amps

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast