Thread: Question about AFM (Active Fuel Management)

Default Question about AFM (Active Fuel Management)

Hello,

This is my first post on EFI live and i was told to come here for advice on tuning. First, my truck is an 2007 GMC Sierra 2wd 5.3 SLT.

My truck came standard with the active fuel management and would like to know how to disable this. either through tuning or buying a programmer. (I understand that gas prices are high) I have an aftermarket exhaust, so when the truck switches into 4 cylinders on the highway, the sound is horrible. The exhaust is a magnaflow, changed from flowmaster since i thought it would be quieter.

If there is any way to disable, please let me know.

Thanks.

Lifetime Member

You can disable it or turn it off last I checked, I dont think a programmer can though. Need to use EFILive.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Your other option is to look around for a performance shop in your area who does GM tuning and ask them to switch it off for you. If that is all you want to do then it's probably the easiest and potentially the cheapest option.

Cheers,
    Ross
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Thanks. I have no problem with purchasing or downloading product from EFI live, but still learning about how it all works. I need my truck to be relieable since this is the only vehicle I own, so dont want to start tuning just yet.

I might start asking around at different GM tuners in my area; wouldnt even know where to begin looking... Just want to get this problem fixed.

I am also interested in getting better performance out of my truck, so if getting my truck tuned by EFI live will do both, im ready.

Lifetime Member

Will do more than that.
    Regards,

Odd Boy

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hollis1 View Post
    Thanks. I have no problem with purchasing or downloading product from EFI live, but still learning about how it all works. I need my truck to be relieable since this is the only vehicle I own, so dont want to start tuning just yet.

I might start asking around at different GM tuners in my area; wouldnt even know where to begin looking... Just want to get this problem fixed.

I am also interested in getting better performance out of my truck, so if getting my truck tuned by EFI live will do both, im ready.
    Thats not a problem man, just a slight inconvenience hahaha!

If you get your truck tuned you will get a lot more than just AFM turned off and a bit more performance, it will act like a completely different truck. Im amazed how much different stock TrailBlazers are when I ride in them vs my tuned one. Shifts better, more pull all the time, better mileage, etc.

Ive had a hard time finding a tuner that uses EFILive in Seattle, but I think Ive found one or two. But thats irrelevant for me as I own it. Sometimes vehicle specific forums (like fullsizechevy.com or performancetrucks) will have lists of tuners around you. I dont know if either of the above do or not but Im willing to bet if you post up on there you will get a few replies.

And if you want, you can download the latest EFILive software (V7.5.3) from the homepage then the latest beta update from the forum here and view a tune file from a truck similar to yours. This way you can see what can be changed and maybe start playing with values just for kicks.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Thanks Erik. I'll be checking out some of the GM truck specific forums and see if any of them have disabled this.

Ill also be looking into using one of these flash scan systems for my ride.