Thread: How to correct WOT for each gear?

Lifetime Member

Default How to correct WOT for each gear?

I am having an issue regulating the AFR in each gear. I usually tune in third from 2,500 to 6,700. But what I notice is when I get a good 13.00 AFR in that gear 1st and 2nd are lean and 4th is rich. 1st will be off by as much as half a point where 2nd will be 2 to 3 tenths off. Now 4th will be rich by 2-4 tenths. I figured it may be a MAP KPA issue but it isn't that. So I looked at my MAF freq. Nothing there. The car basicly runs in the same place in both tables in all gears at WOT. What am I missing? Why doesn't the car run the same AFR at WOT in all gears?

Seems to me that 1 & 2 will climb RPM's faster & 4 could climb RPM's slower, depending upon beginning RPM & gear ratio. Perhaps, the airflow acceleration (g/s^2) is a bit faster in 1 & 2; slower in 4. Peak airflow (g/s) itself may be the same, but, the acceleration of the air (g/s^2) to get to the peak airflow (g/s) is likely higher in 1 & 2, slower in 4. Am thinking that the airflow acceleration (g/s^2) could possibly lean out 1 & 2 & make rich 4.

Lifetime Member

That makes sense but is there a way to compensate for it? I want to make peak power in each gear. I also don't like running lean ever. Especially in my two low, high Dincyl, gears where knock could be present. But I don't want to be rich in my two running gears when I am trying to beat the guy next to me. I can't be the only one experiencing this. There has to be a fix some where in the system.

As to tuning, I am a newb. So, please keep that in mind.

Just went through the tuning options & found only one area that may help, as there appears to be verry little tunning for accelerated airflow values.

Under "learning" & then "filtered" RPM airflow correction," there is described "RPM rate of change" or (accel/deccel). The filter is used to correct over & under shooting RPM. It's used for RPM rate of change corrections & may end up causing an RPM issue, even if it works to help the A/F ratio. Anyway, it looks like you may be able to use this table to help w/ the lean condition. Description says, "airflow subtracted during (accelerated) RPM." So, maybe if you enter a negative value, then perhaps the filter table will add (neg & neg = positive) airflow to the MAF reading. If this is the case, then the PCM should add more fuel during 1 & 2. Unfortuneately, (& if this even works) the same cannot be done to 4. It's either/or; either go w/ the negative values in the filter table in an effort to add air flow to the MAF table in order to help 1 & 2 or use positive numbers & further lean out 1 & 2 in order to help with 4.

For this to work, the software will need to have the ability to recognize that when subtracting a negative number, the answer is positive.

I'm getting ready to fine tune my basic tune & am going to try this as well. Hope this helps. Also, if you find something that works, please let us know.

Lifetime Member

pray, mine is all the same... same afr throught every gear.. i used olsd w/ cos5. i had that problem when i had a maf tune.. w/ sd not any more
    01 Z06, 4L60E CONVERSION, L92/L76 TOP END, 72# LS3 INJECTORS (THANKS FIC), DRY NITROUS, COS5

Lifetime Member

I will have to go back and look at my logs but I think it does in both OLSD and MAF. I am going to check it again. I am just having a problem with my stupid clutch now so banging gears is not an option. Thanks for the imput guys.

Brett