Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Still have IAC issues...

Lifetime Member

Default Still have IAC issues...

I got the Holley wired up correctly now, it took some time but it has 4 pins, the 2 outside are one coil and the 2 inside is the other, unlike the stock one. What really helped was going into the bidirectional menu and commanding the IAC up and down. Once it was right (0 = closed air or extended plunger) I got things going pretty good.

Now the problem:

When I zing the throttle the IAC opens fully racing the idle to over 2000RPM, after 5-10 seconds it starts to close and comes back to a normal idle.

I've made so many changes to the tun I dont know what's up or down. Can someone help with this? I just want a little IAC action when I zing it so it wont die after a burnout otherwise it's just there for cold startups.

Keep in mind this is in a dragster and I've tried to eliminate most of the correction tables that I could find, epsecially in the fuel and spark, I just want X fuel and X spark at idle and WOT.
    Attached Files Attached Files

230" Dragster - 2000 LS1, 02020003 Speed Density, PRC 2.5 Heads,
    MS3 Cam 237/242 .603/.609, Vic Jr. intake, Holley 1000CFM TB,
    PowerGlide, 5000 stall converter. 8.70@154 MPH

My Projects Homepage: http://www.horsepowerracing.com

Lifetime Member

Boy, this site is dead..... Sometimes I wish I bought HPT.

Anyways, now I've got so it doesnt race when I zing the gas but now the IAC steps go down when I zing it and it wants to die, what a pain.

Lifetime Member

Sorry man, I have 0 experience so far on LSx motors so I cant help. When Im online I check here at least once, usually 2x if Im on for more than an hour or two.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

RAFIG did not help?
    are you still having trouble with the PIDs not showing data?
    sometimes you got to wait more than 2 hours for a response.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by LS1_Dragster View Post
    Boy, this site is dead..... Sometimes I wish I bought HPT.

Anyways, now I've got so it doesnt race when I zing the gas but now the IAC steps go down when I zing it and it wants to die, what a pain.

Man what a attitude , my 5 year old stamps her feet if shee doesnt get immediate attention.

This site is about understanding the hardware not tuning your engine for you.

As a guide have a look at your throttle cracker and throttle follower setttings , trim them to get the desired IAC action.
    Do you have a speed sensor hooked up ? if not the PCM is going to have a hard time desiding what idle is and may stall after a big rev.

looking at your VE table I am not suprised you have some issues , engine would guts up with fuel and then run lean.
    Are you tuning with a wideband O2 at the track , if so do a couple of 3/4 throttle passses and some driving back on the return road to sort out some of your VE issues as well - very hard to nail idle until the fueling is sorted 100%

As you are learning the software I would suggest you practice tuning on a stock daily driver first before jumping in at the deep end and then complaoning you cant swim , play with a car you can drive around every day and make small adjustments till you understand how it all works.

Most people forget that EFILIVE didnt make the PCM and all the algorithms inside it - that was GM - what they have done is give us a tool to modify the tune and datalog it , and added some enhancments where time and space inside the PCM permit.

Bit like buying a snap on tool kit and then complaining you cant build a motor

Lifetime Member

I tell it like it is! Really, tons of support and activity on the HPT site, they even were offering help even though I dont have their product...

I wont recall my statement but I did come accross as an ass which I'm not, sorry. Maybe the hours of breathing exhaust fumes hurt more then I thought.

When there's answers they are truncated and barely understandable, reminds me of the early days of Unix, the programmer geeks couldnt understand why the general public couldnt understand the code like they did. Your answer proves my point "As a guide have a look at your throttle cracker and throttle follower setttings , trim them to get the desired IAC action" very meaningfull isnt it?

Mr. Prick, no it didnt help. I had to use the laptop to record the pids and the results didnt help. I'll just keep on trucking and once I figure all this out I'll be able to help others just like I do with the Holley commander. The learning curve has been steep with this custom setup fore sure!

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by LS1_Dragster View Post
    I tell it like it is! Really, tons of support and activity on the HPT site, they even were offering help even though I dont have their product...

I wont recall my statement but I did come accross as an ass which I'm not, sorry. Maybe the hours of breathing exhaust fumes hurt more then I thought.

When there's answers they are truncated and barely understandable, reminds me of the early days of Unix, the programmer geeks couldnt understand why the general public couldnt understand the code like they did. Your answer proves my point "As a guide have a look at your throttle cracker and throttle follower setttings , trim them to get the desired IAC action" very meaningfull isnt it?

Mr. Prick, no it didnt help. I had to use the laptop to record the pids and the results didnt help. I'll just keep on trucking and once I figure all this out I'll be able to help others just like I do with the Holley commander. The learning curve has been steep with this custom setup fore sure!
    Well I will tell it like it is ,

Would you rather be spoon fed and say put 0.5@3mph , 0.7@6mph etc - it just doesnt work like that you need to work out what your engien wants.

Zero the lot out and then start experimenting and adding small amounts .

Until you get the idle spark and VE right you will be chasing your tail.

Quite a few of us are proffessional tuners so we are never doing to spoon feed you , best to take the advice and learn as thaty is the only reason you have the tools , if you just want a immediate solution PAY someone do come out and do the basics for you properly.

Unhappy The grass is always much greener is someone else's backyard

If you want people to help you, you have to show some good attitude.

You're lucky some people decided to answer you regardless of your comments.

GM PCM's are far more complex than the Holley Commander... the learning curve is naturally much steeper.

The more I think about it the more I fail to understand why you didn't just go with the Commander......the GM PCM is a bad choice for your application/requirements.

Oh... and this site is not dead... there are many members who go out of their way to share information and advice.

yes use your laptop there may be an issue with those PIDs.(beta)
    try adding half the value of RAFIG in the problem area.
    you should shoot for -.03 to .03, it won`t be perfect every time.
    it is important to not be overly rich or lean so edit that data out.
    what throttle body do you have?
    does it have small hole in the throttle blade?
    i had dipping/dieing idle before and RAFIG solved it,
    and i`ve heard from a few people that desired airflow
    should be all you need to change to have a normal idle.
    i know you have a unique vehicle but it should still work very similar to stock.

your {B4307} is wacky to say the least
    you are commanding a lot of air in that table
    are you boosted BTW?
    IMO
    you should use only the tables that apply to your trans,
    AUTO=P/N
    MANUAL=IN GEAR
    Last edited by mr.prick; June 11th, 2008 at 02:32 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast