Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 6L80/90e's How they work

Lifetime Member

under what heading mate?
    "Just a tune > yeah right !!!! "

Lifetime Member

I got rid of all that spark retard on the upshift by turning off torque management. It's in the TCM and they make it very easy to turn off.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6L90Etqmngmnt.jpg 
Views:	486 
Size:	204.8 KB 
ID:	3543  

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    The only comphrensive documents explaining how the 6L80/6T75 transmissions function are these documents from www.helminc.com:

- 6 Speed RWD Transmission Technician's Guide (HM6SPEEDRWDTG)
    - 6 Speed FWD Transmission Technician's Guide (HM6SPEEDFWDTG)

There doesn't seem the be a .pdf version available yet (neither are on the $100 CD)
    Thanks JoeCar...Any idea how to get the Tech's Guide? I tried a couple of times and it appeared I needed a dealer code or it wasn't available..

Any transmission experts that could comment on the best hi perf pressure curves for the 3 modes in the TCM? How should they differ for each shift, ect... And the same thing with shift times I would assume that each shift should have slightly different characteristics depending on whats happening inside the tranny

Click on the CLICK HERE>> link under Vehicle Owner, Do It Yourself, Professionals in the upper left;

then select GM Powertrain in the dropdown and click Submit;

then look for HM-6-Speed-RWD-TG in the next dropdown and click Search;

that gets you to here: http://www.helminc.com/helm/Result.a...LPKG2QEFQP640C

Beautiful instructions for a guy with internet ADD like me. lol Hopefully they will get the documentation up soon.

Click on the CLICK HERE>> link under Vehicle Owner, Do It Yourself, Professionals in the upper left;

then select GM Powertrain in the dropdown and click Submit;

then look for HM-6-Speed-RWD-TG in the next dropdown and click Search;

that gets you to here: http://www.helminc.com/helm/Result.a...LPKG2QEFQP640C
    Last edited by MN C5; June 28th, 2008 at 02:01 PM.

Oh, I didn't pay attention enough to see that they are doing inventory... they should be back up in a few days.

Lifetime Member

The only comphrensive documents explaining how the 6L80/6T75 transmissions function are these documents from www.helminc.com:

- 6 Speed RWD Transmission Technician's Guide (HM6SPEEDRWDTG)
    - 6 Speed FWD Transmission Technician's Guide (HM6SPEEDFWDTG)

There doesn't seem the be a .pdf version available yet (neither are on the $100 CD)
    Hi JoeCar, how deep do these docs go? Are they brief overviews, or do they go into the "science" that runs these trans?

Congrats on the promotion!!

These tech guides contain the "theory of operation" specifically for the 6L80 and 6T75.

They show in very great detail (using very good artwork) how all the internal hard-parts and clutches fit together and interact as the PCM shifts from gear to gear... they show how each component performs it's function, and how each component is electronically/hydraulically applied and released.

They show all the hydraulic passages, all the checkballs, all the solenoids and the valvetrains they control, all the other valves, the pump, the torque converter...

they are not repair manuals, they do not contain any repair information (other than some mild diagnostic information such as "if checkball X is missing then the xyz clutch will not apply")...

if you want to know extensively how these transmissions function, then these are the books
    (if only the actual hard parts were painted the same colour... ...)

See the 4 speed RWD section of the forum for some examples from the 4L60E/4L80E tech guides.

Oh, I didn't get promoted... ...I demoted myself from "In Charge of Lost Bolts" (plural) to "Lost Bolt Moderator" (singular)...

Cheers,
    Joe

Lifetime Member

Thanks Joe,

Looks like an interesting book. Many pages?

So now you are dealing with bolts on a one by one basis right? Much simpler but the salary is lower!

Cheers.

These tech guides contain the "theory of operation" specifically for the 6L80 and 6T75.

They show in very great detail (using very good artwork) how all the internal hard-parts and clutches fit together and interact as the PCM shifts from gear to gear... they show how each component performs it's function, and how each component is electronically/hydraulically applied and released.

They show all the hydraulic passages, all the checkballs, all the solenoids and the valvetrains they control, all the other valves, the pump, the torque converter...

they are not repair manuals, they do not contain any repair information (other than some mild diagnostic information such as "if checkball X is missing then the xyz clutch will not apply")...

if you want to know extensively how these transmissions function, then these are the books
    (if only the actual hard parts were painted the same colour... ...)

See the 4 speed RWD section of the forum for some examples from the 4L60E/4L80E tech guides.

Oh, I didn't get promoted... ...I demoted myself from "In Charge of Lost Bolts" (plural) to "Lost Bolt Moderator" (singular)...

Cheers,
    Joe

lol...

bolts can be managed collectively in a single group, collectively in multiple groups (which are mutually exclusive), or singly (a special case of "collectively in multiple groups")... but lost bolts are lost (their state is "not present") so there is no thing (collective or single) to manage...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast