Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: BBL installer update: June 22, 2008

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Default BBL installer update: June 22, 2008

Please read this entire thread before downloading and/or attempting to update any part of the EFILvie software or FlashScan hardware.

Version 8.1.1 (build 31) is being made available as an auto update release. Please select the Start Menu option: Start->All Programs->EFILive->V8.1->Tools->Check for Updates.

Note: during the V8.1.1 update install phase (after the update file has been downloaded) there is no progress bar indication that the install is progressing. The only way you know the install is complete is that the dialog box will disappear (that is if you chose to displayed the dialog box by clicking on the EFILive-install, system-tray icon). The uninstall and re-install takes about 3-5 minutes.

Important pre-requisites that must be in place BEFORE you attempt to upgrade to the new V7.5.4 software and/or firmware.

Under no circumstances should you attempt to use boot block V2.05.06 (released March 26, 2008).
    See this link for more info on what is wrong with V2.05.06
    http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=7804

FlashScan MUST be running firmware V2.04.72 before you attempt to upgrade the boot block. If your FlashScan device is running V2.04.70 or V2.04.71 and you perform the boot block upgrade, FlashScan will be upgraded with the wrong boot block version. If you are in that situation, please see this thread: http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=8085

To upgrade your FlashScan device to V2.04.72, use this program: Start -> All Programs -> EFILive -> V7.5 -> EFILive Firmware Programmer
    The firmware file is available here: \Program Files\EFILive\V7.5\FSProg_V2_4_72.ffw.

After performing the boot block upgrade, the two orange LEDs will flash, indicating that the boot block upgrade process is complete even though the LCD screen will continue to dimly display the message:
    BOOTBLOCK UPGRADE
    IN PROGRESS
    DO NOT
    INTERRUPT

At this point you should uninstall V7.5.3 (or any earlier version of EFILive that is on your system). You can unplug FlashScan during the install if you want/need to.

The readme.pdf document says to backup your *.tun and *.efi files and to delete the two folders where EFILive was installed. Renaming them, as explained below is quicker and safer than backing them up and deleting them.

So, rename the following folders if they are still present on your system.

Version 7.4 and earlier folders:
    • \My Documents\EFILive\V7 to \My Documents\EFILive\V7_old
    • \Program Files\EFILive\V7 to \Program Files\EFILive\V7_old

Version 7.5.x folders:
    • \My Documents\EFILive\V7.5 to \My Documents\EFILive\V7.5_old
    • \Program Files\EFILive\V7.5 to \Program Files\EFILive\V7.5_old

The purpose of renaming those folders is so that when V7.5.4 is installed it will not delete or overwrite any files that you have saved or modified in those folders.

Install V7.5.4 and V8.1.1

After the new software has been installed (reconnect FlashScan if necessary) and while the two orange LEDs are flashing, you must program the new FSProgV2_05_17(0622).efw firmware into the FlashScan device. To do that, use the program: Start->EFILive->V8.1->EFILive Explorer.
    The Readme.pdf file attached to this post contains detailed instructions on how to successfully upgrade your FlashScan device's boot block and/or firmware.

EFILive recommends copying your previous setup and data files from the old V7 software (the folders you renamed earlier) to the new V7.5.4 software. To do that, copy the following folders (overwrite existing files):

From: \My Documents\EFILive\V7.5_old\User Configuration to \My Documents\EFILive\V7.5\User Configuration
    From: \My Documents\EFILive\V7.5_old\PIDs to \My Documents\EFILive\V7.5\PIDs
    From: \My Documents\EFILive\V7.5_old\MAPs to \My Documents\EFILive\V7.5\Maps
    From: \My Documents\EFILive\V7.5_old\VDash to \My Documents\EFILive\V7.5\VDash
    From: \My Documents\EFILive\V7.5_old\Logged Data to \My Documents\EFILive\V7.5\Logged Data
    From: \My Documents\EFILive\V7.5_old\bins to \My Documents\EFILive\V7.5\bins

(You may need to substitute V7_old for V7.5_old depending on which version of EFILive was previosuly installed).

The V7.5.4 download is
    http://download2.efilive.com/Software/V7.5/EFILiveV7.5.4(20080622).exe
    This link is a complete installation and can be applied to any PC whether a previous version of EFILive V7 exists or not.

The V8.1.1 download is:
    http://download2.efilive.com/Software/V8.1/EFILiveV8.1.1(20080622).exe
    This link is a complete installation and can be applied to any PC whether a previous version of EFILive V8 exists or not.
    Note: You don't need to download the V8.1.1 software via this link if you use the Auto Update feature. This link is made available so that computers that are not connected to the Internet can be updated.

Please read the three attached files for more information about the V7.5.4 and V8.1.1 updates.

Regards
    Paul
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Blacky; July 3rd, 2009 at 08:39 PM.
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Scantool says build 63.
    Tunetool says build 62.

do you just re-download the new 7.5.4 build 63 or do you have to uninstall the old 7.5.4 build 62 and back-up files then download?

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    Scantool says build 63.
    Tunetool says build 62.
    I did not use the auto update feature, but downloaded the two files and executed them.

ScanTool and TuneTool are both build 63. They both have a modified date of 6/22/2008 in the EFILive 7.5 folder.

I installed from the files... I did it again and now they both say build 63... I don't know what happened...

you can update the 8.1.1 by using the updater but you need to click on the link for 7.5.4 and install. It does not remove any of your files. I did not back up mine and they were fine. You need to update flashscan to the new firmware in 8.1.1 v2.5.17(0622).

I get an Error under date and time settings tab Error:$0109

a custom install option would have been nice.
    this time my license and calc.pid text was over written.
    last update (build) 62 my splash screens and cal.link got over wrote
    but everything else didn`t.
    back up your folders everyone!

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mr.prick View Post
    a custom install option would have been nice.
    this time my license and calc.pid text was over written.
    last update (build) 62 my splash screens and cal.link got over wrote
    but everything else didn`t.
    back up your folders everyone!
    More info here:
    http://forum.efilive.com/showpost.ph...9&postcount=20

I am also adding two questions to the un-install process (which runs before the install):
    1. Do you want to remove config files (all settings will be lost etc..)?
    2. Do you want to erase the registry settings for EFILive (all property settings will be lost etc...)?

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
    More info here:
    http://forum.efilive.com/showpost.ph...9&postcount=20

I am also adding two questions to the un-install process (which runs before the install):
    1. Do you want to remove config files (all settings will be lost etc..)?
    2. Do you want to erase the registry settings for EFILive (all property settings will be lost etc...)?

Regards
    Paul
    IMO
    no and,
    no, unless it will make the new version unstable.
    i have not had files over wrote before this and the last update.
    some files were left untouched others were`nt so lucky.
    there is a mixture of files that have and have not been erased.
    i don`t see why the efilive folder in my documents should
    ever be touched by an update/new install, in fact i think the
    efilive in the my documents should be for the customer only
    after the initial install.

sorry for venting.
    Last edited by mr.prick; June 23rd, 2008 at 10:23 AM.

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast