Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Adjusting Allison Shift Times

Quote Originally Posted by horsehaulin View Post
    Your trans and engine have two differant tunes! The TCM holds the tune for the trans and the ECM holds the tune for the engine. When you tune the engine you are not tuning the trans what so ever, so be careful about tuning the engine as you can put more power to the ground without getting things right in the trans.

The best thing to do is to use the adaptive learning to your advantage, not shut it off. It is there so you dont shift like a old TH350 with a shift kit all day. I have a built trans and it still shifts nice and smooth like the factory build, except I have more clutches and a Trans Go. The adaptive learning/shifting is there to save the trans, use it.

Tony

not sure what you mean by getting it right in the trans. having it rebuilt with a performance setup or by tuning. if by tuning than that is not right. very few people go in and touch the trans tuning. very few variables and a lot of money there. you can run a pretty good size tune on the tcm tune that is there. not the parts inside, but the tune will adapt to it.

The trans tune should match the engine tune in the Torque tables to a point. If you have a stock trans then you have no need to alter the TCM, but if you have upgraded the internals than working with the TCM tune can make the trans better. Some buy a ATS Co-pilot to get a race shift, but one could do the same with out the extra cost and it is true tuning, not fooling with false signals.

Tony
    Mine2001 GMC 2500HD EC/LB, D/A. 4in MBRP exhaust, AFE Stage II w/Amsoil Ea air filter, ISSPRO boost/Pyro guages, PPE Boost Valve, EFI Live V2, Maximum OD Stage 2 Trans, Amsoil throughout, AirDog150, modded intake horn.

540HP/1056TQ
    Dyno'd Danville Performance
    April 5th 2011

Hers: 2006 GMC Envoy XL Denali, Flowmaster 40 with a bullet style resonator in the back, EFI Live with the help of JoeCar and other great members here.

How would you adjust the torque table to match? The TCM tune has the table using RPM and TPS, but the ECM is using RPM and fuel (mm3).

Quote Originally Posted by The Neens View Post
    What about D5194,5195,5196,5197 in the TCM?
    I don't have those tables in my tcm. Mine is an 01.
    I adjusted B0741

If the ECM is trying to limit engine torque then this table will define the commanded injection quantity value based on the torque value the ECM is trying to limit to.
    This table is responsible for the 'de-fuel' effect during transmission shifts as the ECM attempts to limit engine torque as requested by the TCM.

I'm glad there is actually interest in this topic. There doesn't seem to be any info available and I like the discussion on it.

Originally Posted by The Neens
    What about D5194,5195,5196,5197 in the TCM?
    on mine (04 LLY OS), D5194 & D5195 are for the 8.1L gasser, I'm not sure how D5196 relates to the ECM tune since the TCM uses RPM & TP, wheras the ECM uses RPM and mm3, and D5197 will prevent the TCM from ever requesting defuel.

Sparky, they should be in your tune if you're using a current relase. I just opened a few of the 01 TCM OS tunes that I have and they all had those tables. They're all under "Torque Control".

Quote Originally Posted by stacks04 View Post
    torque reduction come from the trans, yes it is adjusted in the ecm but the requests are made from the tcm.
    You're absolutely right, I read that incorrectly...

Quote Originally Posted by Cougar281 View Post

Sparky, they should be in your tune if you're using a current relase. I just opened a few of the 01 TCM OS tunes that I have and they all had those tables. They're all under "Torque Control".
    Dave, I remove/max out those tables in the TCM tune and control the defuel in the ECM tune...I've run it that way for several thousand miles with no known ill-effects...Seems to work with my truck...

Try at your own risk...
    2007 CC/SB 4WD, McRat EFI Live, Trans, Trans Cooler and C3 clutch oiling mod by Mike L., SD Sleeves, SoCal Diesel

2002 CC/DRW 2WD, McRat EFI Live, Trans, Trans Cooler and C3 clutch oiling mod by Mike L., SoCal Diesel

Quote Originally Posted by The Neens View Post
    You're absolutely right, I read that incorrectly...

Dave, I remove/max out those tables in the TCM tune and control the defuel in the ECM tune...I've run it that way for several thousand miles with no known ill-effects...Seems to work with my truck...

Try at your own risk...
    I'm confused.... 5194 & 5195 don't apply to our trucks, so that leaves 5196 & 5197. If you Change 5197 to "Torque Limit Req Disable", the TCM won't even request defuel, so nothing in the ECM will even attempt defuel because the TCM didn't request it. That leaves 5196. I guess if you max that one out, it more or less won't defuel?

I was running with 5197 set to "Torque Limit Req Disable" and for the most part it shifted quite nice, but Mike L kinda worried me about a tie up.

I'm not too worried about clutch wear, as I think I could replace the clutches with what's in there without much trouble (I'd order replacement sets from Eric), but I AM worried about a tie up. Don't feel like picking pieces of my transmission up off the ground!

Quote Originally Posted by Cougar281 View Post
    on mine (04 LLY OS), D5194 & D5195 are for the 8.1L gasser, I'm not sure how D5196 relates to the ECM tune since the TCM uses RPM & TP, wheras the ECM uses RPM and mm3, and D5197 will prevent the TCM from ever requesting defuel.

No I don't have any of those. What do you mean by latest release, latest efi or an updated tcm tune? This is the stock tcm tune out of my truck.
    Attached Files Attached Files

They're in your tune. What version are you running? I've got 7.5.4. I know D5197 came out some time after January. The others may have as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D5194.jpg 
Views:	336 
Size:	115.3 KB 
ID:	3557   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D5196.jpg 
Views:	336 
Size:	223.2 KB 
ID:	3558  

I have 7.5.3 I've been looking to see when .4 comes out but haven't seen it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg 
Views:	272 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	3559  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast