Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new to tuning need a few answers

Exclamation new to tuning need a few answers

first of all glad to be part of this forum .
    my first question is .... i know nothing about tunning but have a tuner that was given to me . is there general mpg tunes,hp tunes, or various tunes alltogether that i can use or download and install . second question is what are my options on learning how to use and set parameters ?
    please help i hate to waste a 500.00 dollar tuner if i can use it
    thanks !

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by asbrgb View Post
    first of all glad to be part of this forum .
    my first question is .... i know nothing about tunning but have a tuner that was given to me . is there general mpg tunes,hp tunes, or various tunes alltogether that i can use or download and install . second question is what are my options on learning how to use and set parameters ?
    please help i hate to waste a 500.00 dollar tuner if i can use it
    thanks !
    Efi Live is a quality piece of kit and I'm addicted, there are some tunes in the file depository but there mainly stock. One thing to note is that you need to invest in at least one Wide Band O2 meter.

If you have patience and are willing to stick at it, it may take 6 months to a year to get to grips with it, but the results are very rewarding

Lifetime Member

to the forum

See, most of file depository items were tuned for modified cars. My suggestion is, start reading through this forum and ask questions till you get clear idea about tuning.

Do you have a car that can be tuned with the lovely kit "EFILive"? If u have one, after getting a Wide Band as Gelf VXR said, start playing piano.
    Regards,

Odd Boy

Read, read, read, read and read some more.
    When you think you're done...yep....read!
    Then...ask questions.
    You'll find the attitude here is mainly "I'm not going to 'give' you a tune but I'll teach you how to tune YOUR car".
    If you put in the effort to read and search to answer your questions before asking..the amount of help you get will be astonishing.
    Howard

YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T
    MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE
    DUCT TAPE.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.

98 K1500 'HOLDEN' Suburban.
    Custom Whipple SC, Mercruiser Marine intake, 0411 PCM, 4L80E w/shift kit

asbrgb, welcome...

Here are some things to read:
    - scantool/tunetool user manual .pdf's,
    - AutoVE tutorial
    - showthread.php?t=7867

Exclamation thanks for the reply's

ok so what if i just want to do general tunes on my vehicles ? basically i want to get better fuel mileage,bump up trans line pressures, basically a 89-93 tune ...........
    i have 4 chevy vehicles
    2005 2500hd 6.0
    2005 pontiac grand prix
    1999 1500 5.3
    1999 suburban 5.7
    is there general setting's to start out with to do basic mpg tunes .
    for the most part i do not want to sit and tweak these vehicles for months .
    thanks for the help ! i sure do appreciate it .
    ron

i didnt want to have to buy a wide band . for example when jesse bubb does a tune on a pcm for somone does he use general settings and send them out ? obviously he doesnt tune every pcm and test it on the specific vehicle then send it to somone 800 miles away .
    Last edited by asbrgb; June 26th, 2008 at 05:19 AM.

Default my 2005 2500hd was tuned .........

my 2005 2500hd 6.0 was tuned by wait4me (jesse Bubb) can i use values from that tune if i up load them to my laptop ?

Lifetime Member

it's good if u compare the changes he made with the stock one, stock ones can be found in http://www.holdencrazy.com/EFILive/
    Regards,

Odd Boy

Exclamation lets try this route

who would like to SELL some tunes ?

The "looking for a tuner" route won't get you real far here. See my post from earlier along those same lines.

Also, try to post where you are and what you got and what you’re trying to do.

Another good resource for a tuner is ls1 tech.com and post the same question and list location in the title.

The people here can be very helpful, unfortunately not everyone who gets efilive wants to be a super hard core tuner with usb ports in their fingers and logs coming out their umm…ears. They just want to get tuned and hit the track or road or strip. It seems there's a lot of I had to take 2 yrs to learn so should you. I don’t understand how it is acceptable to think that someone is going to take their car out of commission for months or years on end to learn tuning software.

Where I can appreciate being intimate with the program, there is the thought that if there's more help and it's easier to tune, it would propitiate the popularity of efi live its self thus making more knowledgeable people available for more people wanting to learn.

Sometimes people's skills, passions, and patience lie in different areas. I was in heaven fly cutting my pistons and checking my clearances, basically doing the mechanical build part of my car, basically one month on the weekends for a complete engine removal and head cam clutch and reinstall. The last 2 months of tuning have not quite been heaven. I was sold on a pitch of forum support and the software "tuning it's self" especially with the extra lc1 wideband and gauge.

Sort of like headers that "drop right in".

So, getting philosophical: there's two schools of thought:

Tuning for the sake of tuning and being a tuner :here
    and
    Tuning for the sake of being a part of the package of driving modding and enjoying the car for what you choose to do with it: not as much here
    97 MN6 vette, Vortek, BBK 80 FAST 78 manifold, 42# racetronix, lingenfelter edlebrock heads 202cc, 228 232 .622 .630 111+2, patriot dual ex, yt roller rockers, lg pro, now with cats, .041 Mr. Gasket (cometic leaked), 62cc head, ~60 cc chambers, custom built coilovers, ADDCO sway bars

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast