Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Installing the V8 Software

Thanks, Paul. The firmware update to 2.04.72 worked fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
    That should really be more clear and it should say:
    If/when you are prompted to update both the firmware and the boot block, update the boot block first.
    Regards
    Paul
    One other thing that might help too.. On this page where it refers to "EFILive Control Panel" it might be worth mentioning that is part of the V8 software.
    That explains why I couldn't find the "F6: Firmware option in the left-hand pane" -- because I was looking all over the V7.5 app for it.
    Last edited by GoneNomad; March 15th, 2014 at 03:14 PM.

OK... it all seems to have worked out OK after all.
    I'm going to fill in the blanks so maybe the next guy won't be left guessing which way is which, or wondering where the boot block & firmware update files can be found.

Maybe this will make it easier (from page 3 of "Upgrading FlashScan.PDF"):

Upgrading the boot block and firmware of your FlashScan device:
    The following steps, described in detail in the next few pages are required if you have an older Flashscan device that has not had any bootblock or firmware updates since it was new. If you have already performed any of these steps during previous beta updates you do not need to perform them again. Simply start from the first step that you have not performed yet.

A - If FlashScan has boot block V2.04.xx or earlier, perform these steps:

1. Program firmware V2.04.72 using the "EFILive Firmware Programmer"
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EFILive Flashscan V2 Programmer.png 
Views:	1127 
Size:	22.0 KB 
ID:	16547
    ...by pressing the button next to the red arrow to load the file "FSProg_V2_4_72.ffw" (which is in the "V7.5" folder) and then pressing the "Program" button.

2. Upgrade the boot block to V2.05.08 using FlashScan’s menu option (Main Menu: F4 "Options" -> "F1 "Licensing" -> "F4 "Upgrade Bootblock")

3. Program firmware V2.05.21 using the "EFILive Control Panel" in the "V8" folder. The Boot Block & Firmware update files (" *.efw") should be in the V8 folder too. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bootblock & Firmware update.png 
Views:	1031 
Size:	145.9 KB 
ID:	16548

4. Follow the instructions in small red print (e.g.: "Please update to version: 2.07.06" as shown above)
    in the "EFILive Control Panel" and when you get done it should look like this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bootblock & Firmware update (completed).png 
Views:	905 
Size:	102.2 KB 
ID:	16549
    Last edited by GoneNomad; March 15th, 2014 at 03:15 PM.

Did you get V2 bootblock/firmware flashed to latest...?

Yes, the bootblock/firmware updating method using the "EFILive Control Panel" works very easily.

My confusion related to some of the instructions referring to that method, as opposed to the older method I had to use to get to a new enough version to use the current method.... and I just assumed I needed to retrieve those old firmware updates from "somewhere" not realizing it was already in the v7.5 folder, partly because the older firmware's filename extension is different, so a global search for "*.efw" did not find the firmware named "FSProg_V2_4_72.ffw" that I needed as a starting point. I search this site and using google for "FSProg_V2_4_72.ffw" and didn't come up with much, except a few threads like this thread.

If I had stumbled across this thread instead, it would have answered some of my questions. Unfortunately the keywords "Upgrading FlashScan" or "Upgrading FlashScan.pdf" aren't on that page so a keyword search didn't lead me there.

It's all fine now, and that's why I took the time to write more detailed instructions for the next guy who encounters this problem (who probably must have been marooned with Tom Hanks for his Flashscan to not have been updated as long as mine was)

I did stop at the Aug. 24, 2013 update (V8.2.2 Build 234 FlashScan/AutoCal firmware V2.07.49 V7.5.7 Build 242) for the time being.
    I was concerned about the known issues with the Nov 07, 2013 release, but I will probably do that step pretty soon.
    Last edited by GoneNomad; March 17th, 2014 at 12:48 PM.

Go to this: Update-Nov-21-2013

I updated to V8, and upgraded my flash scan firmware. But I can no longer flash right from the V7.5 editor?? This is a pain! I have to save the file then open it in the V8 flash and tune program then flash it. Also my scanner and Vin change no longer work with the upgraded cable?? Can I revert back to V7?? I hate V8!! So confusing!

Did you update v7 too?

No was I supposed to? I just down loaded the v8 package, installed it, upgraded my flash scans firmware, but it says to use v7.5 editor which I have? And I didn't see a newer version of the scanner??

Yes. When you update the v8 stare and the flashscan biotlock/firmware, you need the matching v7 so that it can communicate with the updated flashscan firmware.

Oh, how do I do that?

Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast