Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is there plans for EFI to work with non GM vehicles? Found this in scan tool manual.

Quote Originally Posted by JezzaB View Post
    If I recall it was Ross or Paul that said it is a Bosch ECM and a prick to work with. And when hell freezes over we will be able to tune them And something about Sales Reps driving V6s around and wanting more power.....
    Well the thing is I speak to enough shops that use both EFILive and HPT, when I ask "So how is the Alloytec tuning going" the response is usually the same....which is why we aren't going to bother .

As for FORD support, there is plenty of players in that field already.

Cheers,
    Ross
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post

As for FORD support, there is plenty of players in that field already.

Cheers,
    Ross
    I wasn't aware that there was to much out there for Fords. We all know about the huge options in Flash based devices, but I can't see that being good enough for any of us used to custom tuning.

From what I've heard SCT Advantage III is really the only custom tuning software widely available but its marketed as a workshop product not really for the individual.

I believe you guys would make a killing in the Ford scene.. Hell if EFI LIVE could tune Fords. I'd have my arse in an FG XR6 Turbo right now.

As far as I know, the only player in the Ford Arena is SCT with their Pro Racer package, which IMO sucks (or did last I looked at it). Last I looked at it, when you bought it, you only got the binaries or calibrations for the ONE vehicle you purchsed for, and in order to get more, you needed to buy another "license", meaning you can't do ANYTHING with any vehicle other than the one you purchased for. Not even read the PCM to look at the tune. The nice thing about EFILive is that you can read any ECM/PCM/TCM you want, modify as many tunes as you want, and you're only limited to what you can flassh by how many VIN Licenses you have. As I've said before, I'd LOVE to be able to tune my truck, Cougar and my Wife's Mustang all with one software & hardware package, so as not to have to buy an entire new package and learn it. Since it's not super importanat that I be able to tune my car or my wifes, I won't be buying the SCT package.

Edit: I was just poking around out of curiosity, and it appears that they charge for software version upgrades; I read some posts (like this one) stating that the "old" hardware and software are no longer supported, and in order to get support, you have to pay to upgrade to the latest software version (or at least you did). Seems like it would also require you to buy new hardware. Major lame, IMO. EFILive's philosophy is much better, IMO.
    Last edited by Cougar281; July 31st, 2008 at 05:25 AM.

I've talked to someone who has the $8000 sct software and he thinks we are spoiled. He can make custom tunes for Fords, but it's nowhere near as nice as EFI. They price it way out of league of any customers to own the software. It only makes sense for a high volume dealer. At $50/tune, it takes them 160 just to break even. So they probably don't start making any money until 200 or so. And the sct flash tuners come with pre-loaded tunes good enough for most people. So how long will it take for that software to start making even the high volume dealers money? A pretty long time I'd guess. If EFI jumped into that market, I could see them making a lot of money. Hell, it would probably make sense to hire people to work on the Fords and keep them in the "Ford dept" so the GM vehicles aren't effected. Even if we had to buy a seperate V2 for Fords.

Lifetime Member

The "other" tuning suite is working on Ford support now, just an FYI for everyone. Dont really know much because I dont have any intentions of owning a Ford anytime soon. Probably next will be a VW GTI or GLI, too bad cant tune them with EFILive. But they all use Bosch ECMs and have lots of tuning companies already.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

I wish you guy's would make Ford support also,I'd be in for sure.
    Can't get a decent price on VIN's with the auto tap commander or any of the other ones.

And sorry to wake a dead thread,but thought I would let you know if you decide too then I'm a Ford dealer tech.
    I could send you all the calibration's you wanted probably.

Around here I see nothing wrong with waking a dead thread. These guys work so hard to constantly improve their product, that many times just one week will bring many advancements.

personally id like to see bmw (slow washing machines) and or nissan. image the popularity ....

drdarthinvador - I like that avatar /hijack

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12