Thread: Slight V2 Problem Today.....

Unhappy Slight V2 Problem Today.....

So I've just flashed in a couple of updates and wanted to see how the car ran while warming up. Plugged in the V2, set to log to the SD card and all looks great. I have the V2 set up an a small holder clipped to the dash so I can see it clearly while driving and it's been great. To reduce the problems of the status lights at night, I've set the LEDs to alarm mode. The next thing I notice is that the V2 has gone into power saving mode!

Looking a bit closer I then realise that the ODB-II cable has fallen out of the V2, disconnecting the power. So at the next set of lights I plugged it back in and attempted to start logging again. The only problem was that the V2 kept giving a $0185 error even though the SD card was in place. I've had this once or twice before so I tried re-seating the card, to no avail. While doing this, the ODB-II cable fell out a couple more times even though the RJ45 locking clip was in place.

After driving a while just displaying data I pulled over to see what was going on. Re-seating the SD didn't help and power cycling the V2 didn't help. The loose cable certainly didn't help and I noticed some minor arcing marks on the gold plated pins. I cleaned them up but I still couldn't log to the SD card. I was doing all this with the car idling, until at one point the dash alarms went off. After that I turned the car off......

A little more testing and I could verify the card was seen by the V2 as the "SD" indicator came up. I could also check the card details, size, vendor etc and all looked OK. Then I checked the available space and saw I had 1.4GB free and 16KB of bad sectors ??????? That was a surprise. Removing the card I put it in the laptop to discover that there was no longer a valid filesystem on the card. All gone........

So now home and taking a raw image of the card to try and recover some data ( Linux for those that are interested, Windows doesn't see the card at all any more ). While I have a backup of all the log data on the card, I'm just interested to see if I can recover from the corruption.

So take care guys, make sure the RJ45 cable is seated well and has a positive lock in the V2, otherwise you may not just loose the current data but all the data on the card.

Simon

Is the unit OK, Might be a good idea to get a new one under warranty, my buttons are starting to play up on the V2 after about 6 months uses, the arrow keys are temperamental

Yeah, I think it's fine. It displays data fine, just wouldn't read the SD card which was pretty understandable. No go with recovering data though. The partition table was shot, as was the actual file allocation table so I've used Linux to rewrite the partition table and format it to FAT32. Now it's undergone a raw sector scan and found maybe half of the files that were there. I'm not even going to worry about them though. Starting from scratch now