Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: LMM Programming History & CVN's Explained

Currently we do not carry them, we are looking at the possibility of carrying them however buying them in bulk this long after production is over is more than likely impossible. If we can get a few we will of course post up.

Programming wise the only thing we would need is your VIN.
    www.ECUoutlet.com
    New ECU's of all types,
    at salvage prices!

OK.

Please, let me know if you are able to get one.

Thanks.

Will do, thanks for the interest!
    www.ECUoutlet.com
    New ECU's of all types,
    at salvage prices!

Quote Originally Posted by raymich View Post
    ok.

Please, let me know if you are able to get one.

Thanks.
    x2!!
    '07 LBZ Classic, BW S464 Turbo, EGR deleted, 3" IC piping, Trans-go, ATS 5-star converter, stock clutches

Anything new on this subject?
    2008 crew cab LTZ, turbo back 4", EFI and some other stuff

You mean getting LBZ ECM's or clearing the programming history?
    On the LBZ ECM's, not sure, on the programming history you might want to have a read of this thread to know it won't happen with EFILive.

http://forum.efilive.com/showthread....ght=CVN&page=4

Read my post on the CVN correction removal from the software.

Cheers,
    Ross
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Here's something on the LBZ (and LMM):

INFORMATION

Bulletin No.: 08-06-04-006C

Date: October 29, 2008
    Subject:
    Information on Identifying Non-GM Calibration Usages for LBZ, LLY, LMM Duramax(R) Diesel Engine

Models:
    2005-2009 Chevrolet Express, Kodiak, Silverado
    2005-2009 GMC Savana, Sierra, TopKick

with 6.6L Duramax(R) Diesel Engine (VINs D, 2 , 6 - RPOs LBZ, LLY, LMM)

Supercede:

This bulletin is being revised to add the 2009 model year. Transmission programming information on potential Non-GM ECM Calibration or Power Up Hardware that does not involve ECM reprogramming was added. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 08-06-04-006B (Section 06 - Engine/Propulsion System).
    Caution: Customers should be informed that even after the calibration has been returned to a GM certified configuration, it is likely that engine, transmission, transfer case and/or other driveline components were weakened to the point of premature failure while subjected to the higher stresses from the non-GM calibration (Power-Up Kit). Engine, transmission, transfer case and/or other driveline components where a non-GM engine calibration has been verified are not covered under the terms of the New Vehicle Warranty.

Power-Up Kit Detection - All 2007-2009 RPO LMM

For 2007-2009 applications, an Engine Control Module (ECM) algorithm was implemented that records the engine calibration part number and Calibration Verification Number (CVN) for the last 10 flash programming events. The ECM only records the engine calibration part number because it contains the parameters for increasing torque and fueling rates.

Some customers may have re-programmed the ECM with a non-GM released calibration. The (Power-Up Kit) powertrain calibration changes fueling and timing parameters and likely contributes to the following vehicle conditions:
    ^ Poor Performance

^ Black Smoke (This symptom is not valid for the 6.6L (LMM) diesel equipped with the diesel particulate filter (DPF). The DPF will trap black smoke unless the DPF is cracked, melted or has been removed from the exhaust system.)

^ Knocking Noise

^ Engine Damage (Refer to Service Bulletin Number 06-06-01-007 for additional information.)

If a vehicle comes in for service for a driveability/powertrain concern as a result of a Power-Up Kit installation, the dealership technician now can read the last 10 engine calibration part numbers and CVN history using a Tech 2(R).

The dealership technician would input each ECM calibration part number into the SPS/TIS2WEB CVN database to confirm the CVN history information. Refer to Tech 2(R) path table in this bulletin to verify ECM calibration.

2007-2009 LMM Tech 2 Powertrain Output Controls Path Table for NON-GM ECM Calibration
    1. Build the vehicle with the Tech 2(R).

2 Select F0: Engine Control Module.

3. Select F5: Module Identification Information.

4. Select F1: Programming History.

5. Turn Ignition On and Engine Off. Press ENTER Key to Continue.

Important: An original production engine operation part number programmed in the ECM from the supplier, which is the last part number shown, would not be in the SPS/TIS2WEB database.

6. Record the Calibration I.D. Numbers and Verification Numbers from the Tech 2(R) Vehicle Information/Programming History Screen. If the list of Calibration Part Numbers is less than 10, the first Calibration I.D. Number (bottom of the list) will not be in SPS/TIS2WEB. In this case, the first Calibration I.D. Number is programmed at the Engine Control Module production factory and is re-programmed at the vehicle assembly plant.

7. From SPS/TIS2WEB, record the Calibration Part Number into the CVN Database. Get CVN.

^ If the CVN does not match the CVN database, an unauthorized engine calibration part was flash programmed into the ECM.

^ If the CVN matches the CVN database, we can assume a Power-Up Kit that flash programs engine calibrations was not used.

2005-2007 LLY and LBZ Instructions for Confirming Calibration Verification Number (CVN)
    1. Go to TIS2WEB

2. Select "Calibration Information (SPS Info)"

3. Enter VIN

4. Select "Get Cal ID"

5. Select "ECM Engine Control Module"

6. Select "Next"

7. Select "Complete History"

8. Print

9. Take the printout to the vehicle along with the Tech 2(R)

10. Plug in the Tech 2(R)

11. Go to diagnostics and build the vehicle

12. Select "Powertrain"

13. Select "Engine"

14. *Select "Engine Control Module"

15. *Select "Module ID Information" or "I/M Information System" if module ID information selection is not available.

16. *If "I/M information System" was selected in step 15, it may be necessary to select "Vehicle Information" in order to display the calibration information.

17. Compare the calibration ID and Calibration Verification Numbers (CVN) to the Calibration Verification Numbers (CVN) on the printout.

* Steps may vary by controller.

Although the part numbers will be the same for each, it's the CVN that will determine if the calibration is GM issued. If ALL of the CVN's are EXACTLY the same, the calibration is GM issued.

If the part numbers match and ANY CVN's DO NOT match the printout, it is likely that a non-GM certified calibration has been installed.

If the CVN information is displayed as "N/A", it will be necessary to contact the TCSC to obtain the CVN information.

If a non-GM calibration is found to be in the ECM (CVN's on the Tech 2(R) do not match TIS printout) - In order to document the case -- a CLEAR digital picture should be taken of the Tech 2(R) screen showing the VIN and the CVN's (Programming History Calibration ID and Verification Numbers) that do not match the TIS2WEB printout. A copy of the digital pictures showing the Tech2(R) Vehicle Information/Programming History Calibration ID Numbers, Verification Numbers, Transmission Data, Tech2(R) VIN and reason the vehicle is currently in for service should be emailed for verification. Please copy your GM District Service Manager (DVM) in Canada (DSM) on the e-mail. GM will verify if the CVN's are not GM issued and respond via e-mail within 72 hours.

Tech 2 Transmission Data Path Steps for potential NON-GM ECM Calibration or Power-Up Hardware that does not involve ECM reprogramming.

An example of this hardware is a propane injection system. Data only available with the 2007-2009 GMC Sierra, TopKick and 2007-2009 Chevrolet Kodiak, Silverado.

The Transmission Control Module (TCM) algorithm is implemented that records a maximum calculated input torque. This information is available via the Tech 2(R).
    1. Build the vehicle with the Tech 2(R).

2. Select F3: Transmission Control Module

3. Select F1: Data Display

4. Select F0: Transmission Data

5. Max Transmission Calc Engine Torque

6. The dealership should contact the PQC, open a case to review the findings. Before a final decision on warranty coverage is made.

A CLEAR digital picture should be taken of the Tech 2(R) screen showing the transmission data, Tech2(R) VIN and reason the vehicle is currently in for service should be emailed for verification. Please copy your GM District Service Manager (DVM) in Canada (DSM) on the e-mail. GM will analyze the transmission data and respond via e-mail within 72 hours.
    So let the panic ensue :P

Was the ability to read the current CVN ever implemented?

I assume when the stock tune is loaded back in with EFILive (LBZ) the CVN should return to stock?

Although that bulletin does say LLY,LBZ,LMM at the top, it only lists a procedure for checking the LMM so I ASSume that GM is only checking LMM's-which we have known for awhile. I did not know about the recorded torque input history in the TCM so maybe a guy needs to reflash the trans as well as installing a non tuned ECM.
    '07 LBZ Classic, BW S464 Turbo, EGR deleted, 3" IC piping, Trans-go, ATS 5-star converter, stock clutches

Quote Originally Posted by LBZ View Post
    Although that bulletin does say LLY,LBZ,LMM at the top, it only lists a procedure for checking the LMM so I ASSume that GM is only checking LMM's-which we have known for awhile. I did not know about the recorded torque input history in the TCM so maybe a guy needs to reflash the trans as well as installing a non tuned ECM.
    "2005-2007 LLY and LBZ Instructions for Confirming Calibration Verification Number (CVN)
    1. Go to TIS2WEB

2. Select "Calibration Information (SPS Info)"

3. Enter VIN

4. Select "Get Cal ID"

5. Select "ECM Engine Control Module"

6. Select "Next"

7. Select "Complete History"

8. Print

9. Take the printout to the vehicle along with the Tech 2(R)

10. Plug in the Tech 2(R)

11. Go to diagnostics and build the vehicle

12. Select "Powertrain"

13. Select "Engine"

14. *Select "Engine Control Module"

15. *Select "Module ID Information" or "I/M Information System" if module ID information selection is not available.

16. *If "I/M information System" was selected in step 15, it may be necessary to select "Vehicle Information" in order to display the calibration information.

17. Compare the calibration ID and Calibration Verification Numbers (CVN) to the Calibration Verification Numbers (CVN) on the printout."

They are going to check the cal against the CVN on the older trucks according to this, not a big deal like the LMMs but if one of those segment CVNs are off on an LBZ you are screwed I guess.

It would be nice to check the CVNs without having to get a Tech 2 involved.

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast