Thread: 06/07 E38 vs 08 E38: Changes?

Lifetime Member

Default 06/07 E38 vs 08 E38: Changes?

Hi All, it looks as if GM sold E38 ECM's as service part 12597121 for 06 & 07 cars using the E38's.

In 08 they seemed to switch to: 12612384 for all cars using E38's including LS3 and LS7 Corvettes.

Anyone have any ideas whether the hardware was changed at all?

I read another post that indicated that the throttle control subsystem may have been changed.......which then begs the question as to whether the pedal has changed also.

I don't know what the hardware difference is, from our point of view we can still tune them, that's all that matters.

Cheers,
    Ross
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    I don't know what the hardware difference is, from our point of view we can still tune them, that's all that matters.

Cheers,
    Ross
    Thankyou Ross. Will the 08 ECM take a full flash of an 07 OS? i.e. is the hardware "logically" identical from an EFIlive flashing as well as tuning perspective?

Cheers!

Lifetime Member

no... it will not start or crank.
    "All that is needed for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing..."

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    no... it will not start or crank.
    Thx Highlander (do you have one of those Salamanca Broadswords?)

Is it killed or recoverable?

Cheers.

Lifetime Member

jaja.. no... i have the original series one. I always wanted to have an authentic one though..

Back on topic... you can recover them with a full flash.
    "All that is needed for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing..."

I've got about 5 or 6 E38's here, some are the new Service #, some are the older one. I know on the older ones if you let TechII flash the newer (late 08 / 09) OS's in all of a sudden the VIN number (and probably other things) gets messed up. Proceed with caution I suggest.
    I would also like to add that by going from say a 2007 calibration that works to a 2009 you might be asking for trouble to gain nothing. Much of the updates rely on other modules also having things updated. This is why with TIS now, when you update the ECM with the latest factory tune it will relfash both the ECM and TCM as they must match.

Cheers,
    Ross
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.