Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Afr spikes in BBL only

Ok TE = Tech edge?? I am using a PLX I guess the same principle applies... thanks for you advice will go and see what i can do..

Shane
    I ate my bowl of Aussie rice for dessert, Main course was imported rice...

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vxleather View Post
    Blacky can you do aquick explanation of what it means when it hits 25 afr... i really dont understand... Free Air..???
    Some controllers (i.e. Innovate) will stop sending AFR data and instead start sending other data if/when it is more appropriate.
    For example, if the LC-1 detects free-air (i.e. the O2 sensor detects the same O2 inside and outside the exhaust, then it transmits %O2 instead of AFR. In that case, there is no AFR to log, so FlashScan substitutes a known value (i.e. 25.00) to indicate that the AFR is not valid.

I think the Tech Edge also transmits data other than AFR - but I can't be certain, I don't have the documents here with me right now.

I'm not sure what the PLX sends when there is no AFR to send. Maybe it just trends towards some upper bound when it detects free air.

And why do we see it in BBL only and not Pass threw, or when using non serial ????
    As has been pointed out by others in this thread it is possible that is a hardware issue that is only manifesting when the laptop is not connected. I guess a voltage measurement between the WO2 controller's serial ground pin and FlashScan's serial ground pin (when they are not connected via a serial cable) could shed some light on any potential ground offset problems.

When logging analog AFR, ground offsets show up as +/- errors in the AFR reading. Compare that with a digital signal that is either correct or not, there is no +/- error.
    So where you might see a error of +/-0.1V in the analog signal that would just simply translate into about a 2% AFR error.
    When logging digital/serial data that voltage error may be enough to cause the serial signal to be corrupted. In that case the entire data packet is discarded and FlashScan will substitute the known value of 25.00 AFR.

Having said all that, I would not expect to see any data corruption in a correctly operating serial wideband setup with FlashScan.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Ok we have had 2 V2's spiking... We have managed to fix one being a software issue.. this unit belonging to Alian... now I have carried out the same fixs to my unit.. so i will duck round and see him and test my unit in his car.. if it works fine, I will take it that my wirring is suspect and needs further investagation. I will also try his unit in my car, as we know it is operating properly and also runs a older versioin in the Firmware and bootblock than mine...

I tried going back to ver .17 of the Firmware this arvo and it just stayed in dead poll and would not let me load the older firmware... it gave a error messge.

So by doing this we should be able to narrow it down to a Hardware or software issue..

Ok we have had 2 V2's spiking... We have managed to fix one being a software issue.. this unit belonging to Alian... now I have carried out the same fixs to my unit.. so i will duck round and see him and test my unit in his car.. if it works fine, I will take it that my wirring is suspect and needs further investagation. I will also try his unit in my car, as we know it is operating properly and also runs a older versioin in the Firmware and bootblock than mine...

I tried going back to ver .17 of the Firmware this arvo and it just stayed in dead poll and would not let me load the older firmware... it gave a error messge.

So by doing this we should be able to narrow it down to a Hardware or software issue..
    Just got home Shane, come round and grab it to give it a go.Ian

VX - Quick recap:

Pass thru BBL and/or analog is fine
    BBL analog is fine
    BBL serial spikes

Have you tried BBL serial and analog?
    Can you post a screen shot of the spikes?

Yeah Ta that is correct... I was running Analog it worked fine... I then built a Serial cable.. It works fine in pass threw... But not in BBL..

I have not changed anything in the power source to the PLX.. same earth same power feed as prevouise...

I am at a loss now to what it is.. what can the laptop realy be changing, it is not conected to the car in any way...

Screen shot and attachment of log...

Attached Files Attached Files

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

When logging serial AFR in standalone mode, as soon as you see a spike occur, please stop the data log immediately and save a trace file and email it to me.
    The reason you need to stop it immediately is because FlashScan only keeps the last 5-10 seconds of seconds of data in its internal buffer.

To save a trace file: F2 Scan Tool -> F3 Options -> F1 Save Trace File
    Then, using EFILive_Explorer, copy the trace file from FlashScan to your PC and email it to me.

That trace file will show the raw serial data that is being received by FlashScan. I may be able to see what is happening from that.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Thanks blacky i will try and get this sorted tonight... when the wife brings the taxi / shopping trolley home from work...

Shane

okay email sent Blacky,,

Also, what is the peak value of the spike? Looks like it's going off the chart a bit.

While Blacky is sorting the trace file, would you have an opportunity to swap PLX devices,
    serial cables, or V2's with the other guy that was having the spiking issue? Would be good to know what device the problem follows.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast