Thread: URGENT PCM Problem

Default URGENT PCM Problem

I got off work today and decided to load up a tune I had been messing with and see how it works on my 47mi. drive home. after it cleared out the pcm memory it tried to recalibrate the pcm but just kept cycling the same message (retrying block) for about 30 minutes. I realized it wasn't making progress so I tried again without high sped. and after attempting to calibrate the PCM it would say PCM in unkown state.
    Never could get any readings from the PCM after that.
    Luckily napa had a reman pcm. My mom came and got me and I swapped out the PCM. Now my problem is that I can't do a Full Flash on the new PCM (which is required) because I don't have a license for that VIN. and you obviously can't update VIN until after it's been flashed.
    Is there any way around having to buy a new License for the new PCM? I'm more than willing to do so but it just seems a waste as the other PCM is going to NAPA as a core exchange.

On a side note, out of all the people that seen "a dude in a wheelchair" (me) working my truck in a parking lot, only 2 stopped to ask if I needed help.
    My truck is still at work and I'm off on 8/21 so I REALLY need to find a solution by PM of 8/21 cuz i work at 5am.

I was going to call EFILive but couldn't find any phone numbers.

Send a PM to Blacky on this forum.
    You should be able to get a new license very quickly to get you up an running again if they know that you are going to place an order.

Did the reflash fail at the 0% mark (directly after the erase proceedure) or did it get partially through and quit?

Cheers,
    Ross
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    Send a PM to Blacky on this forum.
    You should be able to get a new license very quickly to get you up an running again if they know that you are going to place an order.

Did the reflash fail at the 0% mark (directly after the erase proceedure) or did it get partially through and quit?

Cheers,
    Ross
    It was at 0% but after that i couldn't ever get any readings from the pcm Other than the error that it was in an Unknown state.

Are you able to scan / Email the invoice from NAPA to sales@efilive.com ?
    If so then we can replace the license you will need to use to get the new PCM running.
    Unfortunately we can't just hand out replacement licenses unless it's proven to us that the ECM has had to be replaced.

Cheers,
    Ross
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

VK,

I pm'd Paul...

What year/model truck do you have...?

Wait before returning the old PCM to NAPA (in case it can be recovered)...

Also note the following:
    - when you attempt to flash either PCM, do the "Test" flash first...
    - be sure to allow 15 seconds with key off between flashes, test flashes, and scans.

It's a bummer some people don't ask to help a fellow Earthling... I personally think it's because they are afraid to reach out, but that's not a valid excuse.

Regards,
    Joe

I did a test first and it went through fine. tried continuously for 2 hours. would wait about 5 minutes between each. never got any response back from the PCM.
    Could it be recoverable now that it has been unhooked from the battery? If I plug it back in? If it works I'll only keep it depending on the core charge, cuz they can be picked up pretty cheap from a part out.

It was pretty easy to swap so I could try that.
    I called my local NAPA knows me quite well as all my family does business with them and they actually paid for the part from the Warehouse on the store account since I wasn't far from the Warehouse, and I got a ride to the warehouse to pickup the part. I still have to go in and pay for it.

Edit: Blacky is getting me squared away. I'll let you know when i'm up an running again (pun intended).
    Last edited by ViciousKnid; August 21st, 2008 at 05:07 AM.

What year / model of vehicle was this?

2000 Silverado Full Size 4x4: Forged 6.2, H/C F1R Procharger
    98A4 Z28: 02 PCM H/C Forged 347, 9" Moser 3.73
    V1 V2 99+up RR COS #5 OLSD Dual Stg N20
    www.efialchemy.com
    www.greatamericancarwar.com

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    What year / model of vehicle was this?
    03 silverado 5.3

I think there may be a short in the cord tho that caused it. Today when I went to flash the new one I tested it first and was getting the same error. but Would still get a status readying from the PCM.
    So i rebooted and it didn't have a signal to the cord. unpowered the cord and tried again and it worked fine.
    I'm going to plug the old PCM back in tomorrow and give it one more try before taking it in as a core exchange. But I wasn't ever able to get a good status reading from it. so i'm pretty sure its done for.

Thanks for all the quick responses. I really do appreciate it. I was able to get done and get home with just enough time to type this and go to bed so i can get to work in the morning.
    You guys are Great!

Now if I can just get my wideband hooked up. Then I can finish tuning.

Be sure to diagnose your cable and OBD port for shorts/opens.