Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First timer trouble w. GENIV, read ECU (E38) and TCM what about the BCM?

Default First timer trouble w. GENIV, read ECU (E38) and TCM what about the BCM?

Hi folks,

I am converting a '97 Tahoe to the latest GEN 5.3 (AFM and Flex fuel)
    Today I built my bench harness to connect DLC connector, ECU (E38), TCM and the BCM to EFI live.
    I could connect to ECU and TCM, could also read and store the .tun files (ECU is a 2007 Avalanche 2wd, LMG ). But the BCM is invisible. I think EFI live may not be able to read the BCM? Any ideas?

Also I wanted to go deeper into the E38's programming, for my conversion I need the speed sensor output enabled and programmed for the correct pulses /mile to use them for my '97 antilock system. But looking to the speedo section in EFI live only showd me the "normal" stuff as final drive, tires, ...

Thanks for your help

Harald
    If nobody has done it before, somebody has to do it....

1997 Tahoe 2dr 4WD
    2002 Alfa Romeo Sportswagon 2.0 JTD
    1982 Deutz Intrac 2004A
    2003 friesian Horse " Henry"

Nice conversion you have there.
    EFILive does not do anything with the BCM but read and clear DTC's on it. There is no programming options for it.
    I'm not sure the E38 has a physical speedo output, it might be just a message send over the CAN bus.

Cheers,
    Ross
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

You might be able to run an additional vss wired to a DRAC from a pre OBD2 truck for your input to the ABS and cluster if necessary.
    "Trash that carb and get Injected!"

Default vss and ECU

That's what I wanted to do first. Then I saw that VSS PIN on the E38 ECU.

and someone told me this PIN could be programmed to the correct pulses/mile.

The DRAC is my backup plan if that ECU PIN is not what we think it is.

1997 Tahoe 2dr 4WD
    1982 Deutz Intrac 2004A

Interesting, I'll take a look Monday.

Cheers,
    Ross
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Looks like that is a real VSS output indeed.
    Did you actually wire it up?
    However, there is a parameter that appears to be a enabler for that output. If it is activated then something else might stop (I'm not sure).
    I'll need to add the enabler in to the calibrations.

Cheers,
    Ross

Default VSS output

Thanks Ross for your help.

I didn't wire it up so far 'cause most of the wiring does exist only on paper, that means my schematics are almost up to 95% but I didn't start the wiring of the harness. In the moment it's just the work before the real work..

If you think it is worth a try I will wire the VSS output. Besides a way to enable it there should also be a parameter to set the correct pulses/mile??

Do you need anything from this ECU? ( It's a '07 Avalanche 2wd LMG). I will have to change the .tun file anyway to a suitable LMG 4wd application.
    I thought about changing the VIN's both of the TCM and ECU to match the VIN of the BCM (1GKFK163X7R007000) 'cause so far I have no access to a TECH II or similar to reprogramm the BCM.

By the way you said EFIlive is able to read and clear DTC's of the BCM. I built a bench harness where the BCM is connected, has powersupply and with the IGN signal I switch the serial data enable to 12V, no other BCM connections are made... that should lead to a big number of DTC's, but nothing..no single DTC on the CAN bus from the BCM... any ideas on this Ross ?

And last is the .tun file interesting to post it on holden crazy? If yes I will do so..

1997 Tahoe 2dr 4WD
    1982 Deutz Intrac 2004A

Quote Originally Posted by harascho View Post
    Thanks Ross for your help.

I didn't wire it up so far 'cause most of the wiring does exist only on paper, that means my schematics are almost up to 95% but I didn't start the wiring of the harness. In the moment it's just the work before the real work..

If you think it is worth a try I will wire the VSS output. Besides a way to enable it there should also be a parameter to set the correct pulses/mile??

Do you need anything from this ECU? ( It's a '07 Avalanche 2wd LMG). I will have to change the .tun file anyway to a suitable LMG 4wd application.
    I thought about changing the VIN's both of the TCM and ECU to match the VIN of the BCM (1GKFK163X7R007000) 'cause so far I have no access to a TECH II or similar to reprogramm the BCM.

By the way you said EFIlive is able to read and clear DTC's of the BCM. I built a bench harness where the BCM is connected, has powersupply and with the IGN signal I switch the serial data enable to 12V, no other BCM connections are made... that should lead to a big number of DTC's, but nothing..no single DTC on the CAN bus from the BCM... any ideas on this Ross ?

And last is the .tun file interesting to post it on holden crazy? If yes I will do so..
    Forgot to say the VIN of the BCM is an RPO code LC9 ( aluminum block) so the question is, could I use this VIN as THE VIN for ECU, TCM and BCM and actually have an RPO Code LMG engine and .tun file in the ECU???

Harald

Has anybody a .tun file ( and correct operating system with it..) of a 4wd 5.3 LMG engine ?
    if yes , it would be very welcome to haraldschoener@yahoo.de

Thx a lot

1997 Tahoe 2dr 4WD
    1982 Deutz Intrac 2004A

Yes it's worth a try for sure. The pulses per mile will still be calculated from the normal H0xxx parameters, it won't be a specific thing for that output.

I'm not sure if the BCM's primary communications is CAN or VPW? (might be a mix of both). I don't think the V2 will read DTC's from all modules on all comms buses. It will see all CAN modules but not VPW or the other way around. I'll get Paul to confirm that.

What you probably need to do is fire up Google and search for the exact model that is using your engine / trans combo. Then use that VIN as the reference to getting the correct files.

Cheers,
    Ross

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    I don't think the V2 will read DTC's from all modules on all comms buses. It will see all CAN modules but not VPW or the other way around. I'll get Paul to confirm that.
    FlashScan tries to communicate using CAN first, if that is successful then it only communicates in CAN from then on.
    If CAN is not successful it tries VPW, if that is successful then it uses VPW from then on.

It will not communicate with multiple modules using multiple protocols.
    It will only communicate with multiple module using the same protocol.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast