Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Knock sensor and updating to newer O.S.

Quote Originally Posted by 87gmc
    Hp when i went from 99 to 01 i was getting knock. In the knock parameters on the old B6228 everything is set at 0. Go into to your 99 and copy that table and paste it into the new os it is table B6228. You will notice in the 99 these are filled in and 01 does not have them. After coping mine the knock sensor began to work
    Yes I remembered correctly that the gain setting was different. But the gain setting is different for second sensor than the first as well. So what is going on with the second sensor in the 2001 OS?

I just checked the 1999, 2000, 2001 and 2002 F-Body service manuals and all LS1s have two knock sensors. I did parts search on acdelco.com and gmpartsdirect.com and 1999-2002 all use the same knock sensor (Delco 213-362/GM 10456603). Assuming you did your 1999 to 2001 upgrade the way I did my 2000 to 2002 upgrade (start with a 2001 or 2002 Camaro calibration with the same type transmission) I don't see how you can be having knock sensor issues.

That said, this is definitely worth getting to the bottom of.

I thought the 2 sensors were identical and so had same noise characteristics, and I assumed that same filter parameters were used on both.
    :?:

Quote Originally Posted by leres
    I just checked the 1999, 2000, 2001 and 2002 F-Body service manuals and all LS1s have two knock sensors. I did parts search on acdelco.com and gmpartsdirect.com and 1999-2002 all use the same knock sensor (Delco 213-362/GM 10456603). Assuming you did your 1999 to 2001 upgrade the way I did my 2000 to 2002 upgrade (start with a 2001 or 2002 Camaro calibration with the same type transmission) I don't see how you can be having knock sensor issues.

That said, this is definitely worth getting to the bottom of.
    Ok great info,

Now, if the knock sensors are the same then why are the parameters different? Why are the gain values not filled on the 01????

I am not having any problems at this stage. I am getting no KR and I do not have any audible knock. (Probably becuase I am running 40% 109 octane right now) But I really don't know if they are functioning. I guess I could flash back to the 99 OS to see if I see anything different. I really don't feel like increasing my timing until I make it knock to test them.

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

The *only* difference between the knock sensors is their location in the block. The different locations "hear" the same noise differently. Also, there is actually only one knock sensor being used at any one time. Each cylinder is allocated to a particular knock sensor and only that knock sensor is "consulted" when that cylinder is firing.

I will try and provide some more info on how the knock tables work. But right now our priority is 98 bootloaders, then 7.3 release.

P.S. Someone please post a reminder in here after the 7.3 release.

Regards
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Blacky
    The *only* difference between the knock sensors is their location in the block. The different locations "hear" the same noise differently. Also, there is actually only one knock sensor being used at any one time. Each cylinder is allocated to a particular knock sensor and only that knock sensor is "consulted" when that cylinder is firing.

I will try and provide some more info on how the knock tables work. But right now our priority is 98 bootloaders, then 7.3 release.

P.S. Someone please post a reminder in here after the 7.3 release.

Regards
    Paul
    I like that 98 bootloader

so did we figure out anything on the secondary knock table of the old knock table? I was getting some knock and scanner showed 0 and i could hear it . I'm running a 01 O.S. in a 99 5.3L

I have looked into it, but have found nothing that is making any sense yet :(
    V7.3 is nearly done...
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

I have faith in you Paul just keep at it. Sometimes you have to step away an then come back to it.

I did get some slight retard when using the 2001 OS. However, I did a back to back run with the 99 OS and 2001 OS and they showed knock at different rpms. So maybe only one sensor is functional? Or maybe different conditions for different runs.

I need to set up a pid to log cylinder air without a maf (ie calc cyl air from map) so I can plot the normal KR x cyl air x rpm. Or is there a pid that already does this? I can't find it.

Quote Originally Posted by hpcubed
    I need to set up a pid to log cylinder air without a maf (ie calc cyl air from map) so I can plot the normal KR x cyl air x rpm. Or is there a pid that already does this? I can't find it.
    {GM.DYNCYLAIR} or GM.DYNCYLAIR_DMA} - they should both display the same value.

Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast