Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Knock sensor and updating to newer O.S.

So any update of where the secondary knock sensor parameter went? I'm still getting some audiable knock and knock sensor are not picking it up

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 87gmc
    So any update of where the secondary knock sensor parameter went? I'm still getting some audiable knock and knock sensor are not picking it up
    Glad you reminded me, it had been forgotten. I'll start again...
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

I don't know if it will help find the problem. But whenever I open a new 2001+ bin, the values in the "Knock Sensor 1 Sensitivity" table are all zeros. When I open a 99 bin they have values. Either the 2001 OS came with zeros in the sensitivity table (which I doubt) or the software is not accessing the table - and probably not writing back to the correct location of the table????

Quote Originally Posted by hpcubed
    I don't know if it will help find the problem. But whenever I open a new 2001+ bin, the values in the "Knock Sensor 1 Sensitivity" table are all zeros. When I open a 99 bin they have values. Either the 2001 OS came with zeros in the sensitivity table (which I doubt) or the software is not accessing the table - and probably not writing back to the correct location of the table????
    That's the tricky part - In later PCMs GM appears to have changed the tables used to calibrate the knock sensors. Unfortunately the "old" tables have been left in the newer PCMs. I'm still not convinced one way or the other whether the "old" tables are still used or only the "new" tables are used exclusively on the newer PCMs.
    I guess when things quieten down here a little, we may get some time to "play" with different knock tables and settings to figure out which does what...

Regards
    Paul

Lifetime Member

I inadvertently changes some values in the old knock table and it definitely is used took me a while to figure out why the knock sensors wer'nt working anymore.
    \"You Can Never Have Enough Horsepower\"

Quote Originally Posted by caver
    I inadvertently changes some values in the old knock table and it definitely is used took me a while to figure out why the knock sensors wer'nt working anymore.
    I know for a fact also that the old table is being used. I have played with numbers on the old side and you can hear the difference. I'm still getting pinging you can hear but the knock sensor are not seeing it on the flashscan when logging. I believe its due to secondary knock sensor table but its not there to adjust when you upgrade to a newer O.S. The ecm is probably seeing this table as all zeros and thats why the knock sensors are not picking up the pinging.

Quote Originally Posted by 87gmc
    Quote Originally Posted by caver
    I know for a fact also that the old table is being used. I have played with numbers on the old side and you can hear the difference. I'm still getting pinging you can hear but the knock sensor are not seeing it on the flashscan when logging. I believe its due to secondary knock sensor table but its not there to adjust when you upgrade to a newer O.S. The ecm is probably seeing this table as all zeros and thats why the knock sensors are not picking up the pinging.
    Sorry but what are you refering to when you say "old table" and "new table". Are you refering to table B6228 as the "old table". If so, what is the new table? The table that our software does not read?

See image.
    Older PCM (obviously) will not have the Knock-new tables. Newer PCMs have them both.

Regards
    Paul
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	knockoldnew.png 
Views:	253 
Size:	22.5 KB 
ID:	290  

Maybe the old ones are like base settings and the new ones modifiers.
    So older ones run a less granular setup and newer ones can fine tune much easier?
    Get EFILive in europe (http://www.efilive.eu).
    2007 Escalade ESV L92 6.2L VVT.
    2014 VF SV LS3 Maloo.

Where paul has circled the knock-old sensor is the one i am talking about. If you open a 99 O.S. you will notice there is not only a #1 but also a #2. When you upgrade to 01 or 02 O.S. the #2 dissappears. I believe the knock sensors when upgrading from a 99 to a 01 or 02 still function off of the knock-old. So if im not able to adjust the #2 table and the computer is seeing this table at 0 it is unable to detect knock. I believe that is where i am getting my pinging from. When I Flash my pcm back to 99 pinging goes away. I adjust the #2 table to all zeros and I get the same knock as if i was on the 01 o.s. So my theory for us upgrading to 01 or 02 O.S. we need that secondary table on Knock-old

Maybe i'm wrong

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast