Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 0411 swap w/ one wire knock?

Default 0411 swap w/ one wire knock?

Just had a quick question. The old vortec pcm I had, had a one wire knock sensor, the new 0411 pcm has a two wire deal? Do I have to convert or is the one wire deal ok. I tired searching for this but came up empty handed. I jst wrapped up my swap and took it for a spin, seemed to detect knock, but the engine wasn't piging audiable.

Thanks
    Kurt

The 0411's that were in the HD trucks/vans with 7.4's(?)2500 and 3500 had a dual knock sensor system. Where the basic (5.7's)1500 and some 2500 non-HD had single wire.

The wire t-s off somewhere in the system from the diagrams I have, and actually at the PCM is one pin/trigger, even though it had dual wireharness plugs.
    11 Silverado
    08 Sierra
    91 RS with 350 TPI and 411 ECM

actually I was refering to how the knock sensor grounds. On the diagram I have the knock sensor has two wires a 5v reference and the signal return, both come from the pcm. The vortec box, had just a signal( one wire).
    I have the old sensor hooked up and it seems to work, but was just checking to see if there was a difference. The engine is a 4.3L V6 2000 model year, with a 2002 os from a s10 4x4.

Thanks
    kurt

The diagram I have for a 96 to 00 4.3 in a silvy(same as an s10 except the maf) shows it only has one wire and that is the signal to the pcm. Then it is self grounding.

A knock sensor should not have any 5v signals to or from it. Are you sure your not accidently jumping lines when tracing it out?

Wish I could help you more, but I dont have access to the exact diagrams for your setups.
    11 Silverado
    08 Sierra
    91 RS with 350 TPI and 411 ECM

actually it works just grounding the sensor, but was wondering since the newer computer called for a two wire knock, would they be possibly different, in the cal. between the 411 and old box

I figured it out,

One wire sensor is a resonate sensor

Two wire sensor is a flat response sensor

I located the setting in knock sensor general setting tab.

Thanks for your help

Kurt

Kurt, can you post a pic of your knock sensor.

The one that was installed on the engine was 10456075 which I am using now

here's a pic

Now the one that comes on the newer 01- up 4.3L engines is part number 21024981 and the cal was originaly set up for this sensor

pic of it is

now even tho I have correct the type in the cal I still get a code for P0327. Does anyone know where I can get the resonate fequency of the first sensor?
    I tried looking in a old vortec cal but these tables aren't available in the older boxes

oh yea I also did move the sensor wire per efilive instructions in the description

Thanks
    Kurt

Did some more thinking, even tho I changed the knock values in the engine calibration, could it be possible that the system calibration has to match?

I tried this, by taking a cal outta 4.8l had the same operating system, copied all my calibration segments except the system one then attempted to start the truck and it would not, I tried vats relink and everything even disabled it in the pcm and did a full reflash still would not start, put everything back to the way it was and it started. It seems the bcm doesn't like any other system calibration other than the one that is in my original tune.

I have ran into the ame problem when converting my 2001 s-10 to a 2002 operating system with the 5.7l swap. The 5.7L from a Savana van only uses a single wire sensor for knock while the 2001 s10 has a two wire sensor located on the back of the block next to the distributor. Depending on which operating system you are using and the wiring that is designed for that truck will determine which sensor to use. The 2-wire sensor has a 5-volt reference and a signal wire that both originate at the pcm. lickily i have the old sensor laying around and was easy enough just to place a new wire in the pcm and connect it to the knock sensor mounted near the right side engine mount. The OS will determine which one you have and you nust use that one. I tried every means of using the 2-wire sensor but found that i have to use the single wire. Also, the 20wire sensor has to be mounted to a machined, flat surface on the block( hard to find unles you have a way to hold the block and create a smooth area for it) that has no air gaps which can minimize the knock detected.

Hope this helps ya out!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast