Thread: Permant wiring OBD2 with Cat5

Lifetime Member

Default Permant wiring OBD2 with Cat5

Hey guys,
    I'd like to permantly wire a Cat5 to the wires goin to the OBD2 connector so I won't have to keep unhookin my cable to tune someone elses ride..

Just wonderin if anybody could help me with a Pin Out of what goes where and the order of the wires on the RJ45 connector.

Thanks guys!
    Jonathan

Best bet would be to contact of of our resellers and buy a spare cable, they aren't that expensive (maybe $20 - $30), for the price it will save you a lot of messing around. Remember, it only seems cheaper until you blow something up

Cheers,
    Ross
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

I have a cat5 plug in MY car so that I dont have to keep hooking the one cable up. I dont see how it would help when your tuning others cars though?
    11 Silverado
    08 Sierra
    91 RS with 350 TPI and 411 ECM

I built my own cable using a obdII pigtail. I needed to be able to switch between my DashHawk and EFILive V2. I now have a purpose built y-cord with the DashHawk side power switched, all routed under the dash and console. I didn't want to plug/unplug, and run the cables everytime I switch to tuning/logging mode, so now I can switch off the DH and plug up the V2.

The pigtail came from obd2cables.com, I already had a radio shack cat5 crimper and plugs. It took about 2 hours to build. I also used a cat5 panel jack in the console, so now I just use a regular 2Ft cat5 cord to connect to the car. Same setup for the lc-1 wideband using a rj-11 panel jack and a short 6 wire cord.

I used a ohm meter in continuity mode to make sure I got all the pins exactly right (check and triple check). I don't have the piece of paper I created the pinout on, but it's easy enough to map it out. Burying that harness in the car was the hard part.

Good luck.
    Last edited by ahajr; August 28th, 2008 at 02:34 PM.
    2005 GTO, 6 Speed, LS2, OS 12598977

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dale View Post
    I have a cat5 plug in MY car so that I dont have to keep hooking the one cable up. I dont see how it would help when your tuning others cars though?

Well i want to put the Cat5 cable in my truck and tuck it under the dash out of the way. And leave the EFI Live Cable in my console so i wont have to keep routing it behind the dash everytime i have to tune or scan a vechicle.

Ok, that makes much more sense. You made the comment with other peoples cars which made me wonder how it would help in OTHERS. With yours it makes alot of sense.

I wired my cat5 in to the back of the stock port. I just ohmed out which wire was which, and connected. Worked first time.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dale View Post
    Ok, that makes much more sense. You made the comment with other peoples cars which made me wonder how it would help in OTHERS. With yours it makes alot of sense.

I wired my cat5 in to the back of the stock port. I just ohmed out which wire was which, and connected. Worked first time.
    Ha, sorry bout that...
    Well i unbolted my OBD port and its connected to the EFI Live wire and tucked under the dash so i wont kick it when gettin in..
    And id like to connect the wires to the back of the Port and hide the wires..

Cat5 has 8 wires... Is there that many connections on the OBD port?

Yes they use all 8 wires.
    2005 GTO, 6 Speed, LS2, OS 12598977