Thread: Please Help

Default Please Help

Ok I dont own EFI live yet, however i am very interested in purchasing it, i want to tune my Duramax LBZ, but here's my question, my brother owns a 2004 Olds Alero 3.4L, and i was wondering if the ECM in his engine would be the same as the 3.4L engine from the Chev Equinox/Pontiac Torrent???

I really want EFI live for my truck, but if i can share it with my brother for his car that would be the clincher, as HPtuners DOES support his 3.4L engine

I just need to know for sure if your product will support my needs

Thank you in advance

Lifetime Member

Welcome to the forum man!

Unfortunately, your brother's Alero shares the drivetrain with the Impalas which are not supported by EFILive at this time. Not putting words in either Paul or Ross' mouth, but I *think* there are plans to support them at a later date, although said date is unknown.

Hope that answers your question!
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ScarabEpic22 View Post
    Welcome to the forum man!

Unfortunately, your brother's Alero shares the drivetrain with the Impalas which are not supported by EFILive at this time. Not putting words in either Paul or Ross' mouth, but I *think* there are plans to support them at a later date, although said date is unknown.

Hope that answers your question!

So the drivetrain has to be the same, and im guessing that the torrent and alero arent the same?

He is planning on buying either an LBZ or LMM in the next couple months, but hes all about tuning his Alero, he kinda has it pimped out lol, black wheels and exhaust, now he wants it to go faster, as if he doesnt have enough speeding tickets already.... LOL

But as i hear it from a lot of dmax "gurus" that HPtuners doesnt hold a candle to EFI in its tuning ability/support and following, or ease of use

im not trying to upset anyone here, i promise, im more or less trying to see if you guys are gona help me out, and maybe add the alero 3.4L sooner rather than later, because if you do then i will 100% join the ranks of the EFI crowd

Support for the 3.8L & 3.4L V6 PCM's has been on the cards for sometime here, but, it's never been a priority given some of these cars are at least 10 years old and worth about $2,000 - $4,000. Now that is not meant as an insult to the car, but when you factor in the purchase price of EFILive, it's a problem!

Sure a license for only $99 is a much better option and this is where we expect most of the income from these vehicles would come from, like in your situation.

Support for these vehicles will come with the Version 8 software. So when is that due you ask?, umm, we were hoping by now but that has not happened.

If your brother must have tuner right now he could also consider TunerCat. It ain't pretty but for the price it will get the job done.

As for your LBZ, you won't find any other tuner on the market with such a massive Duramax Diesel user base, you pointed out the reason why

Cheers,
    Ross
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by BriteWhiteRam View Post
    So the drivetrain has to be the same, and im guessing that the torrent and alero arent the same?

He is planning on buying either an LBZ or LMM in the next couple months, but hes all about tuning his Alero, he kinda has it pimped out lol, black wheels and exhaust, now he wants it to go faster, as if he doesnt have enough speeding tickets already.... LOL

But as i hear it from a lot of dmax "gurus" that HPtuners doesnt hold a candle to EFI in its tuning ability/support and following, or ease of use

im not trying to upset anyone here, i promise, im more or less trying to see if you guys are gona help me out, and maybe add the alero 3.4L sooner rather than later, because if you do then i will 100% join the ranks of the EFI crowd
    The Torrent and Alero use a completely different computer, the Torrent I read used an E38 and T43 combo whereas the Impala/Alero use a single PCM (dont know what its called). Like comparing apples to coconuts.

For Dmax support, Ive heard EFILive hands down has better support. Eventually Id love to have a Dmax but that isnt in the cards right now, when it is Ill learn to tune diesels!

Good luck with your decision, if you have any questions about EFILive Id be more than happy to help you the best I can! Have you downloaded the software and played with Dmax tunes? You can do it for free, go to the main EFILive.com page and download V7.5 (then run the update program).
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

thanks for the replys guys, really helpful and really informative

I will convince my brother to hold off untill you have released the new software, hopefully it is soon, i understand your reasoning behind not making it a priority, however the car is only 4 years old and in great shape, he plans on keeping it a while

As for downloading the free trial, yes i had done that a while ago, but it confuses the poop out of me, i guess if i knew what i was looking at it would make things a bunch easier, i have just played with it, never really got too indepth with what was going on

Thanks again guys