Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: E38 VVE Setup Guide

Post E38 VVE Setup Guide

Hi All,

a little while ago I was taking to a couple of other tuners here in Australia about setting up to do your first VVE adjustments. While I know that those who have been working with EFILive for a few years would have managed to work things out fairly well, us "newbies" ( so to speak ), have a pretty steep learning curve. So after talking a bit I decided to put together a quick quick to help the new comers and maybe a few of the more experienced as well.

Please note that this is aimed at the Holden range of vehicles with the E38 controller, but should work fine for the G8 over in the US. It's been looked over by a couple of guys and should be fairly correct, but if any one finds any discrepancies, let me know and I'll update as needed. It's certainly not a replacement for the doco supplied by EFILive, it just takes a step by step approach to setting up ready to do the work.

Hope this is helpfull to some.

Simon.

EDIT: I just realised I should have stuck this in the "Tutorial" forum.... Mods please move if needed.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by joecar; May 11th, 2016 at 02:57 PM.

Simon,

Good job...

I moved it to the Tutorial section.

Edit: the EFILive supplied doc mentioned above by Simon is attached see post #51 (it also is included when you install V7.5).
    Last edited by joecar; May 21st, 2010 at 04:18 PM.

Its a great effort Swingtan, Thanks there are some great ideas in it.
    Just a few suggestions for consideration.

Paul has suggested that the best way to go mafless is not 1, 1 approach, it might be better to reverse the highs and the lows. ie. swap the 13500 and the 10. There have been some mystery problems in some cars that are set with 1s.

I also edit DTC Type P0101 P0102 P0103 from B to C (not reported)

Also a tip for Forced induction people beware of a weird effect of burst knock activation mid acceleration not just at throttle tip in.

Also DFCO delay in M6s is set to 0.1s. This may have been a mistake in the stock calibration.
    Oztrack
    EFILive Tuning Consultant

Worldwide Remote Tuning Service

2006 NSW Super Street Drag Racing Champion

www.oztrack.com.au

Well done Simon - Thanks for taking the time to do the tutorial.

Good work mate !

Nice good reference for LTFT and STFT stuff, saves me getting the threads out from favourites..
    Get EFILive in europe (http://www.efilive.eu).
    2007 Escalade ESV L92 6.2L VVT.
    2014 VF SV LS3 Maloo.

Thanks for the kind words guys. I know it took me a while to get my head around the VVE adjustments. A couple of guys asked what I'd done and I felt if I put something together it would not only reinforce my own thoughts, but help as many others as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by oztracktuning View Post
    Paul has suggested that the best way to go mafless is not 1, 1 approach, it might be better to reverse the highs and the lows. ie. swap the 13500 and the 10. There have been some mystery problems in some cars that are set with 1s.
    I have heard the odd report about this, but didn't experience anything myself with the "all 1's" settings. I have no problems changing it, as long I can understand why. I like to at least know the reasons why things are done before I start telling others what to do

I also edit DTC Type P0101 P0102 P0103 from B to C (not reported)
    I take it you mean in "DTC Type" ? I did note on page 4 to turn off the codes in "DTC MIL" ( though I didn't actually say it was in DTC MIL, just to disable the MIL light ). Does setting these to "Not Report" add anything over not logging the DTC in the ECM? I guess if you were staying SD, then you would want these off.

Also DFCO delay in M6s is set to 0.1s. This may have been a mistake in the stock calibration.
    I just checked my stock tune ( L76 M6 ) and it is set to 0.5 standard. To make it feel smooth, I think the injector timing is used to extend the time it takes from no DFCO to full DFCO and vice versa.

It looks like I've singled you out Steve, but it's just that you have raised some good points.

Simon.
    Last edited by swingtan; September 6th, 2008 at 10:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by swingtan
    I take it you mean in "DTC Type" ? I did note on page 4 to turn off the codes in "DTC MIL" ( though I didn't actually say it was in DTC MIL, just to disable the MIL light ). Does setting these to "Not Report" add anything over not logging the DTC in the ECM? I guess if you were staying SD, then you would want these off.
    I think Steve meant setting them to 'C' "Non Emissions" in DTC Type.

Yes, I got that. I did some testing last weekend and setting "DTC Type" to "X: Not reported" is not very helpful. there are 2 possible results from doing this.

1. If the MAF is still plugged in correctly and functioning, it will still be used for air flow measurements as you have just told the ECM to ignore any MAF failures. So it will continue to use the signal coming from the MAF, even if the test settings say it should have failed.
    2. If the MAF has been disconnected, the car will start and then stall as it will get no fuel. As the PCM has been told to ignore MAF failures and the MAF is disconnected, it will read the air flow as the minimum MAF setting ( in my case 0.55 gm/S ). Given the very small airflow being used, the PCM will simply not inject any fuel and the engine will stall.

So the idea would be to set the following:

If you are planing on going back to using the MAF, the changes should be...

DTC MIL - P0101 = No MIL
    DTC MIL - P0102 = No MIL
    DTC MIL - P0103 = No MIL

and optionally

DTC Type - P0101 = C: Non Emissions
    DTC Type - P0102 = C: Non Emissions
    DTC Type - P0103 = C: Non Emissions

All these will need to be returned to stock when the MAF is returned to service.
    If you are going to remain MAF-less...

DTC MIL - P0101 = No MIL
    DTC MIL - P0102 = No MIL
    DTC MIL - P0103 = No MIL

Quote Originally Posted by swingtan
    If you are going to remain MAF-less...